Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: State mandated test results

Default Re: State mandated test results

Updating this post...

Got the latest yearly academic tests back today. These results are for his grade level based on age; which is starting 5th grade. After another year of MP, here they are:
    The first number is grade level equivalent, meaning how this student compares to the median score of same academic level students.

Reading Vocabulary - 6.4 75 percentile...an increase of 1.1 grades
    Reading Comprehension - 9.8 97 percentile...an increase of 5.4 grades
    Math computation - 5.2 59 percentile...an increase of 3.5 grades
    Math Concepts & Problems - 6.7 79 percentile...an increase of 2.9 grades
    Language Mechanics - 9.7 96 percentile...an increase of 5.5 grades
    Language Usage & Structure 7.6 82 percentile...an increase of 4.2 grades
    Spelling 3.4 19 percentile...an increase of 1.6 grades

I was nervously awaiting the results and was blown away. Down right shocked, really. Keep in mind this is a Simply Classical student. He's not using the traditional core. We started with Simply Classical 1 and have used every level up to the currently available, level 4. We subbed in traditional core 2 literature last year and are using traditional core 3 lit this year with Intro to Composition for writing.

I made him read the reading selections as part of the test this year, last year I read them aloud to him. He struggled with reading them, but obviously comprehends it better when he reads than when he listens. Interesting.

So, overall last year he scored at the 33rd percentile. This year he scored at the 81st percentile.

I know this news is relative. There are good days and there are days that could have gone better. But, progress is being made. Line upon line, precept upon precept, we are moving forward.

So for those of you that troll these forums and wonder whether MP can actually walk the walk, especially with special learners, here it is. We might be the tortoise racing the hare, but we're plodding along. As Cheryl says, our special learners deserve a classical education too. The view from the top of their academic mountain may look different than a traditional student's mountain vista, but the view is still amazing.

This child that struggled so mightily with learning to read is reading Farmer Boy (and enjoying it). He still despises writing, but there's a twist now. "Why do they have to mess up the fun of reading with all this writing?" he laments. Yep, he just wants to get to the reading part. I never in a million years would've expected that!
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Finished reading through all of the previous posts, again.

Its like a time capsule of my little guy over the last year.

Wow, what a roller coaster it was. Official diagnoses of ADHD, Anxiety, and Level 2 Autism with a below average IQ score to boot. Throw in 2 abdominal surgeries for me and we hit the jackpot!

But, He is good. His grace is fresh every day, all day. Amen!
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    Updating this post...

Got the latest yearly academic tests back today. These results are for his grade level based on age; which is starting 5th grade. After another year of MP, here they are:
    The first number is grade level equivalent, meaning how this student compares to the median score of same academic level students.

I was nervously awaiting the results and was blown away. Down right shocked, really. Keep in mind this is a Simply Classical student. He's not using the traditional core. We started with Simply Classical 1 and have used every level up to the currently available, level 4. We subbed in traditional core 2 literature last year and are using traditional core 3 lit this year with Intro to Composition for writing.

I made him read the reading selections as part of the test this year, last year I read them aloud to him. He struggled with reading them, but obviously comprehends it better when he reads than when he listens. Interesting.

So, overall last year he scored at the 33rd percentile. This year he scored at the 81st percentile.

I know this news is relative. There are good days and there are days that could have gone better. But, progress is being made. Line upon line, precept upon precept, we are moving forward.

So for those of you that troll these forums and wonder whether MP can actually walk the walk, especially with special learners, here it is. We might be the tortoise racing the hare, but we're plodding along. As Cheryl says, our special learners deserve a classical education too. The view from the top of their academic mountain may look different than a traditional student's mountain vista, but the view is still amazing.

This child that struggled so mightily with learning to read is reading Farmer Boy (and enjoying it). He still despises writing, but there's a twist now. "Why do they have to mess up the fun of reading with all this writing?" he laments. Yep, he just wants to get to the reading part. I never in a million years would've expected that!
    Wow that is amazing! Well done to the both of you
    Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
    Miriam 8yo Grade 3
    Jonny 6yo (Special Needs) Review weeks on Level C
    Elissa 3yo SC Level B (for preschool)
    Thomas 8mo

Oh Colomama,

I am so happy for you. I know they are "just" test results -- but man on man it feels so good when improvements you have noticed show up on paper.

Congratulations!
    Susan

2018-2019
    A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
    C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
    G (5) - Simply Classical C

Well done young man (and teacher!) This was not an easy journey for either of you.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Yes, this is your own time capsule. Quite a year!

Congratulations. I wondered why you had been so quiet on the SC forum. Now I know. You were teaching!

Such good news for your son. Day by day, little by little, persevering beyond the very hard times for the sake of your child: SC 1, 2, 3, and now 4. Well done.

The mountain is far from climbed, but it is so good, right, and wonderful to pause, celebrate, and enjoy the view knowing exactly how far you have come.

So HAPPY for you!

What great news! Thank you for sharing!
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    Updating this post...

More quick thoughts:

Now that his reading comprehension is so greatly improved, perhaps he can be allowed to write a little less in the guides. If you conduct more portions of the lit guides orally, this might free his writing for Spelling, which he clearly needs.

If you are not yet using ALL of the tools with Traditional Spelling One, bump this subject to front-burner. His spelling is still his weakest area, so he needs everything -- tracing, colorful words, word study. As his spelling improves, he may feel better about writing!

I am still pretty excited that he is in the top of 5th graders, having “only” completed MP2 literature! I think that speaks volumes to the MP curriculum and not worrying if your child is doing a few grades “below” actual grade level.

His math also greatly improved!! Was this using R&S 3?
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Congratulations! I had tears and chills reading this! His provision, your perserance and your son’s hard work is evident in these results. Enjoy this well deserved moment!
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

I needed to read your update! I read through all 3 pages, and I'm almost in happy tears. We just started SC B, so we're very much at the beginning of our journey, but I'm so happy you shared your son's successes with us!

Wow! This is great! I do not think that you will want to go this option, but you can enroll in a private "school" in Colorado so that you do not have to provide test results. I do this for my kids. I do not want the state in anything about their education. We do not even have to file a notice of intent. It is $15 a year per family.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)