Thread: Homeschooling older low iq girls

Default Homeschooling older low iq girls

Hi Cheryl, Remember me? This is Susan with questions about her girls, Grace and Julie. Grace is 20 and doing well. Julie was diagnosed with autism this past summer. We have not been using MP, and what we are using is not really working. I would like to do some parts of MP Special needs level 3, but my girls are 20 and 16 and I feel like we will be at this forever. Also, at their ages they want to be very independent, but they are not really capable. Help!!

Default Re: Homeschooling older low iq girls

Susan, hearing from you is an answer to prayer! I had been thinking about you and your girls.

Would they like to start Latin? This would feel more grown-up, yet you could use the SC 3 plans for Prima Latina. Inside Latin, they learn grammar, vocabulary, prayer, general "thinking skills," and more. This could be something you would all enjoy together. We begin very gently, yet the cognitive benefits are great. (I was recently reading studies on such things.)

Other options:
    You could teach writing and Chiristian studies, drawing, and comprehension through The Story Bible and SC Writing Book Two, Bible edition. This would have multiple benefits including edifying all involved.

If you wanted to teach American history, art, and music, you could teach from SC Enrichment. You could even add SC Writing Read-Aloud edition for a full program based on biographies, heroes, and American history.

Many options. Don't worry at all about their ages. Many special ed programs go till age 21.

So good to hear from you --

Thanks Cheryl!! Do you feel Rod and Staff Math is the best option for Special Needs kids? What about Science? I like your suggestions.

Mastery is so important, and R&S does mastery well. For best results, make or purchase the visual aids as recommended in the R&S Teacher Manual.

Science is woven into our SC Enrichment Guide by theme to coordinate roughly with themes in our Am History lesson for the week. (See the new Science read-aloud set for SC 3.)

If the girls remember me, please tell them I said hello. I remember that they loved their Laura Ingalls literature book, so you could add an MP literature set (Charlotte's Web?) to the mix above or teach from Prairie School as we do in SC 3.

I will. The girls do remember you. Before I jump in with both feet, what are your plans for the future of SC? How far up in grade levels do you plan to go?

We intend for Levels Four through Eight to take young adults with special needs as high as they can go.

Level Four should release well before you finish Level Three.

If you want or need for them to be more independent, teach only Bible writing and let them complete American history writing on their own. The format for both books is the same, so that might help.

As you continue their education, you might also look into the local sheltered workshop, supported employment, adult day programs, or local special-needs sports or social groups for some out-of-the-home options to give them greater independence and to give you a little respite. Perhaps you have already done this. I know the road to Julie's diagnosis was hard, but the diagnosis of autism may open up services for her, as will the intellectual disabilities for both of your young women.

Cheryl, I ordered the full set of SC3. On the receipt I received via email, there are many download links. Do I need to download these separately or will I be getting a hard copy in he manual? Thanks, Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet heart View Post
    Cheryl, I ordered the full set of SC3. On the receipt I received via email, there are many download links. Do I need to download these separately or will I be getting a hard copy in he manual? Thanks, Susan
    Hello,

These are complimentary downloads that come with some products, typically lesson plans for when you customize a package or pages that are reproducible in your own home. They do not replace the hard copies you purchased.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Thank you !