Thread: SC Writing Book Two

Default SC Writing Book Two

New SC 3 Teacher Notes about SC Writing Book Two:

When teaching SC Writing Book Two Read-Aloud edition, American history, to children with little background in American history studies, you may want to proceed in this manner to allow sufficient information to be presented prior to the writing lessons:

Monday - read 3-5 chapters as assigned, no writing. Review "Rules About Sentences."

Tuesday - read 3-5 chapters as assigned, no writing. Review "Rules About Sentences."

Wednesday - read 3-5 chapters as assigned, then teach Lessons A and B.

Thursday - read 3-5 chapters as assigned, then teach Lesson C.

Friday - read 3-5 chapters as assigned, then teach Lesson D.

If you wanted to include some writing on both Monday & Tuesday, you could select one rule from Rules About Sentences, help the student find an example from your day's reading, and have the student copy the sentence (with the rule applied correctly) onto the board or tablet paper.

Regarding the Bible edition:
    The SC Writing instructions in the Curriculum Guide can be used as written for SC Writing, Bible edition, or you could adapt them to match those above, if you prefer.

If this seems to be a helpful adaptation, we will include these notes in the Curriculum Guide.

Default Re: SC Writing Book Two

I am grateful to have found this suggestion. I was a little confused by the teachers manual where it says to “re-read the story” but at the bottom it says to read Chapters 1-5 and so on. So, I just thought I would ask, but I think this basically addresses the situation, correct?

To be quite honest, we are still struggling with the writing. A section will be assigned but the questions don't line up (in the Bible edition, on the day of the "A" page in one of the Bible lessons it says "Sarah laughed", but this is not discussed until the next day's assigned reading, for example). Also, it would be impossible to re-read all the stories assigned.

So, after many weeks, what we are finally going to do this: (we are doing both the Bible and History writing)

On Monday and Tuesday we will do the history writing from the previous week. On Wednesday and Thursday (or likely Friday)we will do the Bible. This way all or most of the reading will be done before the writing is started. My daughter can't handle that it doesn't perfectly line up, so this seems to solve our problem!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C
    DD (2/13) - soaking it all up!

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1
    DD (2/13) -still soaking it up, using Jr. K workbooks and R&S workbooks

Yes, if your student needs to review the material before writing, you can re-read "the story" (i.e., the Bible story related to the Bible writing lesson OR the American history passage(s) related to the Read-Aloud lesson).

We provide sample schedule in the beginning if the SC Curriculum Guide to suggest writing immediately after reading, so this step of re-reading may be eliminated. For those with limited knowledge of American history, you can adapt by reading all of the selections for the week, then re-reading, then teaching all of the writing.

As always, the content and lessons are there for you to use or adapt according to the best use for your student. This may vary depending on which edition (Bible or Read-Aloud) you teach and depending on the needs of the student.

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    To be quite honest, we are still struggling with the writing. A section will be assigned but the questions don't line up (in the Bible edition, on the day of the "A" page in one of the Bible lessons it says "Sarah laughed", but this is not discussed until the next day's assigned reading, for example). Also, it would be impossible to re-read all the stories assigned.

So, after many weeks, what we are finally going to do this: (we are doing both the Bible and History writing)

On Monday and Tuesday we will do the history writing from the previous week. On Wednesday and Thursday (or likely Friday)we will do the Bible. This way all or most of the reading will be done before the writing is started. My daughter can't handle that it doesn't perfectly line up, so this seems to solve our problem!
    There you go! Very good.

We will watch this more closely for future assignments. Our hope was that previous exposure would help with context, especially in Bible, but you raise a good point. And you offer a good solution!

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    There you go! Very good.

We will watch this more closely for future assignments. Our hope was that previous exposure would help with context, especially in Bible, but you raise a good point. And you offer a good solution!
    Also, since the writing for the "A" page is a little lighter, we have moved the Copybook writing assignment to Monday as well (we work on memorizing the prior week and then write it on Monday). That's 3 days of drawing a picture and this spreads it all out!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Good thinking! With both SC Writing books simultaneously and your revised schedule, I am looking forward to seeing her writing. I still remember her impromptu homemade version of A-B-See. Your daughter has a creative mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Good thinking! With both SC Writing books simultaneously and your revised schedule, I am looking forward to seeing her writing. I still remember her impromptu homemade version of A-B-See. Your daughter has a creative mind.
    Her "free" time writing is still very basic, but I see her blossoming in this area! Today she wrote on the white board:

"Hi. I am Rose. I am 8. I like to swing and do art. I have a sister and she is 4. I have a brother and he is 6. My mom is 42. My dad is 50. My sister likes to play baby. That is me."

Now, we need to work on "lively words"!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1