Thread: Confirmation Materials

Default Confirmation Materials

I know that there was a Catholic curriculum component being written and tested, and I am wondering if there is anything specifically being written for Confirmation preparation? I live in Colorado and half of the state now has the restored order of the Sacraments, which means that kids receive Confirmation in 3rd grade. I am home educating my children in religion, with the blessing of our religious education director. There is very little instruction written at a 3rd grade level for Confirmation other than the Archdiocese of Denver's own religious education program. It is free, but it is not as much as I would like to teach my kids (one is 3rd grade special needs and the other is 5th/6th grade). With the change I need to teach both girls Confirmation and would love to find out if there is an MP program for it. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Confirmation Materials

We are taking Sacramental preparation into account but we are following the majority of the country in their order, so Confirmation preparation won't be until later.

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Director, Schools Division
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by pschaeffer View Post
    We are taking Sacramental preparation into account but we are following the majority of the country in their order, so Confirmation preparation won't be until later.

Paul
    Is there anything that I can buy for the older daughter to prepare her? She is a very good reader (she has already read books like Anne of Green Gables and Moby Dick).

Unfortunately we are still working on K and 1st grade, so I don't currently have anything to recommend. KF2000 might have suggestions for you though. I'll shoot her a message and see if she can chime in :)

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Director, Schools Division
    Memoria Press

Hello there! I am so excited to find out that children will be able to receive Confirmation so much earlier in your area. That is truly wonderful!

As Paul mentioned, there is a difficulty when a change like this is made, which is that most of the country has been under the practice of having children receive Confirmation much later. This means that materials for preparation will all be designed for a much older child. It will take a great deal of time for catechists to develop new materials for a younger age group. If you decide to go ahead and prepare your children at their current ages, you will need to use something that is currently available and then adjust it for your children.

The book I am most excited about for Confirmation prep is the brand new Didache Confirmation book. Midwest Theological Forum has produced the Didache series of high school religion texts which are beautiful and rich in Catholic doctrine. The Confirmation book is the first in their Sacramental Prep series and I am very excited by it. I personally have not seen this particular book, but I have reviewed the complete Didache series and find it to be excellent. I have experimented with my own high schooler between the Didache books and older, more traditional texts. Not only is the doctrine consistent, but she prefers the beauty and the writing of the Didache series. I am confident it is a solid choice.

You can find the link for the Confirmation book here:
    http://www.theologicalforum.org/Cate...f_Confirmation

I also have used the Soldier of Christ book by Mother Mary Loyola as a fantastic spiritual reading supplement to Confirmation prep, but would caution you to pre-read it to see if it is appropriate for your youngsters. Perhaps use the Didache book for preparation, and then have them read Soldier of Christ when they reach the teen years to help them more fully live out the sacrament as they approach adulthood.

And as Paul mentioned, we are about ready to release the earliest books in the Catholic supplement series but these are not "original" texts. We are taking the Faith and Life catechetical series and putting it into a framework that MP folks will recognize and hopefully enjoy. We are adding Catechism memorization, Bible readings, and Saint readings to flesh out what is available in the Faith and Life texts, but we are not writing the series from scratch. The plan is to use Didache for high school, so I can foresee that the Didache Confirmation book is what we will most likely use.

I hope this is helpful, and please feel free to ask me any further questions.
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2017-2018: Seventh Year with MP
    DD 16
    DS 14
    DD 12
    DD 10
    DD 8
    DD ~6
    DD ~4
    +DS, 2-21-16+
    And new little peanut due 1/27/18 <3

We had the opportunity to have my daughter confirmed in the extraordinary form about 2 years ago. It was unclear how often it would be offered sand my 5th grade son asked to be confirmed at the same time. While the pastor was initially uncertain about the idea, he did agree that my son met the criteria for confirmation, wanted to be confirmed, and our young people need the strengthening of the Holy Spirit as well. As a convert I have felt for a long time that Catholics view the Sacrament of Confirmation more as Religious Ed Graduation than the strenthening us with the gifts of the Holy Spirit to go out into the world to profess our faith as a soldier of Jesus Christ. I find very well meaning Catholics treating Confirmation as the carrot for sticking out to the end of the RE like Confirmation is something we earn instead of the gift that it is. I am very thankful that I am not stuck with the understanding of anything that I had at 12, 15, 20, or 43. I would advise continuing on with your current religious education plan with a small detour to cover some of the basics of what Confirmation is all about. I used a small booklet from Angelus Press http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl....dId=&InvCatId= It gives a very concise summary from the Baltimore Catechism, but it is geared more to the older form of the Mass. My guess is that your diocese prep is not sufficient for what you want them to know in 10 years from now, but as a supplement to your ongoing educational efforts is most likely a good gauge of what they should know prior to reception.
    Dorinda

DD 14 - 9M with Geometry, MPOA(Henle 2, Comp3), Lukeion Greek2
    DS 12 - core 7M with Henle 1
    DS 8 - core 3A/4A
    DS 4 - loving life with AAR1