Thread: SC 2 Sentences Card/ Beginning of Year

Default SC 2 Sentences Card/ Beginning of Year

What have others done for the complete sentences card? I still need to make something for this and don't have any creative ideas.

We had our first day of school yesterday. The past two days have been a "bit" rough. But, I am completely certain that I have placed all three correctly.

We've had lots of tears - mostly about having to do review in math, but also writing spelling words, reading the Moose Moments book, particularly The Grand Cat story. A had it in his mind that it was a 'fancy' cat and was in tears, saying that it scared him. I just sat there and said, "I've decided that this is what we are going to do. You can't do anything else until we read this story. We can alternate paragraphs if you want." It worked. And he liked the story, especially that there was a prank involved. He wished the crabs had pinched the man, though.

There were tears from my daughter because she realized math wasn't all fun and games.

I'm not sure how long it will take us to get to the speed I anticipated, probably longer than I planned, but that's okay.
    Susan

2017-2018
    A (9) - mix of SC 2 and MP 1, R&S math 3
    C (8) - mix of SC 2 and MP 1, R&S math 2
    G (4) - Simply Classical A, hoping to start SC B in the spring

Default Re: SC 2 Sentences Card/ Beginning of Year

What is this 'complete sentences card' thingy you speak of? I'm drawing a total blank over here
    Married to DH for 11 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS9- Simply Classical 3 / Grade 2 Classic Core, DD6- Grade 1 Classic Core, DD 4- Simply Classical C

Good morning, Susan. I hope you have a better day today!

Do you think the tears were in any way an attempt to get you to "give up" and relent with either the form or length of lessons? I hope that after everything is in a predictable rhythm, "drama" will lessen and learning will take its place.

As for the card, I envisioned nothing fancy. A large index card per student would work. You might use bright colors, so it does not get lost, and a different (favorite) color per student for easy distinguishing. You can present two colors to each without the other seeing -- bright green and bright orange to one; bright blue and bright pink to the other. Or you can just use white for each and label with a colored dot or personal sticker.

Explain that this year we will all learn to more carefully speak in complete sentences. Your good sentences will be recorded on a card. Which color/sticker would you like for yours?

Hoping for smooth(er) sailing today and tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    What is this 'complete sentences card' thingy you speak of? I'm drawing a total blank over here
    We discovered this on about week 20 last year! Oops!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C
    DD (2/13) - soaking it all up!

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1
    DD (2/13) -still soaking it up, using Jr. K workbooks and R&S workbooks

I just read about this yesterday as I'm planning to begin SC2 on Monday. So do I need to write their sentences on the card I or just acknowledge the complete sentence with a sticker or something? Thanks! Lillian

1. In the front of SC 2 Curriculum Guide, see the Teacher Notes.

2. Look under the broad all-caps heading of WONDER, BEAUTY, & IMAGINATION.

3. Under READ-ALOUDS, scan the notes to find the bold heading Oral Language: Speaking in Complete Sentences.

You will find instructions and suggestions for this "Complete Sentences Card" in your SC 2 Curriculum Guide. An index card will work well for this, because you can tuck it inside any read-aloud as both a bookmark and a reminder to use it!

Index cards are perfect. They don't get to pick colors -- or rather, I know that they would pick green and pink. Hopefully they won't be too competetive. But it seems that if I persist with something for a few days the resistance dramatically diminishes.

Today has been much better so far. I think their biggest complaints were (1) that they didn't get to pick exactly what they got to do, (2) that I was requiring them to work longer at a sitting, and (3) that I was making them do some work independently. So there was a mixture of being overwhelmed and just plain stubbornness.

My daughter is a bit of an emotional girl -- she goes quickly from being very bubbly and excited to tears in 0.1 seconds. She may have envisioned mostly enrichment and very little math/reading, so she burst into tears during math. Today she was absolutely fine. She is disappointed that I switched her from regular STT to AAR, but she'll get over that. She needs the extra explicit phonics/syllabification work. I'm trying to do SC 2 in about a semester, do we're doing fluency work with Moose Moments/At the Farm and literature/composition with SC STT at the same time. So she'll get back to the books that she wants to read in a few months. The Moose Moments are the perfect level for her. She was doing a fair amount of guessing, so I'll be prompting a lot of "sound it out."

A has a hard time with new things/transitions. So his tears were sensory/emotional overload. But now that he knows what to expect, he is doing better. He still has outbursts, probably will for a while. He was most upset about (1) having to do illustrations daily, (2) being confused about independent work, (3) having to copy out math problems from his book. Illustrations will be good for him so he'll have to get used to those, I'll have to do his independent work with him for now or give him step by step instructions and send him to do one thing at a time, and I'll have to help him copy out the math problems for now. I think many people have their kids write in the 3rd grade math book, but I think he might benefit from copying them out. I've got him using graph paper so he can line up the numbers. I figure he might need to do it more than other kids since other kids will pick up how to copy it on their own and he won't, so he should start when the actual math problems are easy for him. I think I'll give it a few weeks, maybe a month and then re-evaluate.

I think the complete sentences card a big help for him, especially since he has expressive language issues.

G is also doing pretty well, we're reviewing the first semester of level A. I'm using a lot more physical activity in his lessons. OT is helping him a lot and I'm getting lots of helpful suggestions from his therapist.
    Susan

2017-2018
    A (9) - mix of SC 2 and MP 1, R&S math 3
    C (8) - mix of SC 2 and MP 1, R&S math 2
    G (4) - Simply Classical A, hoping to start SC B in the spring