Thread: States and Capitals North America Geography

Default States and Capitals North America Geography

On p. 5 in the student guide for States and Capitals question 7 it asks what are the countries in North America. Why does the answer key not include all the other North American countries like Cuba, Haiti, Domican Republic, etc? From my research there are about 23 countries in North America, but the answer key only lists Canada, Mexico, and then lists the 7 countries of Central America.

I understand if they think this might be too much for kids to write but it would be important to give them the correct information and show a map with all the countries in North America listed and perhaps even talk about all the other territories. Greenland is a large area of land that many people forget about but kids always ask about!

Default Re: States and Capitals North America Geography

This is purely due to age of the student this course is aimed toward. Our Geography III thoroughly covers the Americas. But for 3rd grade, our focus is memorizing the 50 states and their capitals, including spelling. We could add a note to this effect in our teacher guide when we reprint if you think it's necessary for this course, but we just assumed that everyone would understand the nature of the course and our focus on the 50 states.

Tanya

Default Re: States and Capitals North America Geography

Thank you Tanya. I understand this course focuses on states and capitals and I agree it would be a lot to list all the countries in North America. I just thought it was odd to ask a question, "What are the countries in North America?", but only list a few of the countries. I think a note in the teacher guide would be a good idea or just take that question completely out if the correct answer is not going to be given. It seems confusing to me to teach kids in 3rd grade that the countries in North America are the US, Canada, and the seven countries in Central America when there are actually 14 other countries in N. America.