Thread: Getting pictures of homework from phone to MPOA for Algebra class

Default Getting pictures of homework from phone to MPOA for Algebra class

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone came help me, the very non-techy one, know how do this. My son needs to scan his math pages and upload the files onto his MPOA Algebra class page. But the scanner function in our all-in-one doesn't work. So I've been taking pictures with my iPhone and emailing them to Mrs. Davis, which isn't meeting the requirements for the class. We really need to get this figured out soon, and especially for next year's Alg. 2 class.

Does anyone have any tips for me to navigate this? Thanks!

Susan P

Default Re: Getting pictures of homework from phone to MPOA for Algebra class

Hi Susan,

No problem. Most students in the classes use their smart-phone, they just turn the pictures into PDF's. I use an iPhone so that is what I'm familiar with, but every kind of smart phone has this capability if you have an app for it. What these students (typically) have done is downloaded a scanner app to their smart phone. The best one I have used is Turbo Scan. I got it free a long time ago, though it costs a little bit now and is well worth it. Then you use the app to turn your picture into a PDF. If you are using an Apple machine and an iPhone there is the Air Drop function to move your file from the phone to the computer; if you are using something else I'm sure there is a similar function. Your first step is to get an app on your phone that will turn the picture into a PDF. Once you turn it into a PDF, email to your self and then upload it to the class (or email it to the teacher, whatever you have worked out). So, do this:

(1) Get a scanner app for your smart phone and install it
    (2) Turn your picture(s) into a PDF document
    (3) Email it to yourself
    (4) Then login to MPOA and upload your documents as the teacher wants

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

I'll add a step 3B) download and save your file from you email to your computer with a name and in a location you can find.

For example, I go from Android phone to Mac desktop. I usually place temporary files onto my desktop. If they are files you want to keep, create a folder somewhere on your hard drive/cloud account for Alegbra 1, then try to name the files in an organized way (I.e. Date/lesson number, 6/30/17 Lesson 21) so they are searchable and easy to sort through. Tip on naming files: actual numbers sort accurately rather than number words which sort alphabetically (6 versus June, 10 vs ten.)

HTH!
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 06-30-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

Fall 2017
    DS: MPOA 4FLatin, 8A // DD: 6A // DD: 3A // DS: K

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Thanks for these suggestions! I'll muck around and try to figure this out. I guess emailing the docs (pix) I take with my iPhone to myself will enable me to then open/save on my iMac. And that means easier for attaching to the MPOA dropbox. That was my concern....how to get from iPhone to being able to use them on my iMac, without having to pull out cords and attaching/synching between my iPhone and iMac. See? Like I said, I'm so not techy!

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by SPearson View Post
    Thanks for these suggestions! I'll muck around and try to figure this out. I guess emailing the docs (pix) I take with my iPhone to myself will enable me to then open/save on my iMac. And that means easier for attaching to the MPOA dropbox. That was my concern....how to get from iPhone to being able to use them on my iMac, without having to pull out cords and attaching/synching between my iPhone and iMac. See? Like I said, I'm so not techy!

Susan
    I usually email them to myself, or I save them in the app 'Dropbox' which I have loaded on my phone and PC.
    2017-2018:
    DD 13 | 8A | Foerster, MPOA student (Latin, Lit, CS & Comp)
    DS 11 | 5M | Singapore, AAS
    DD 9 | 4A | Singapore, AAS, Delectare

Scott Piland mentioned the app Turboscan (to convert pictures to pdf). Another app some of my students are using is Cam Scanner. The pdf's turn out well (clear, easy to read, etc.) Not sure about cost, but wanted to mention as another option for those who are adding this feature to their smartphone.
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-23 college graduate: working, reading, writing
    ds-21 college senior: Biology/German double-major, applying to med school
    dd-19 college sophomore: Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
    Scott Piland mentioned the app Turboscan (to convert pictures to pdf). Another app some of my students are using is Cam Scanner. The pdf's turn out well (clear, easy to read, etc.) Not sure about cost, but wanted to mention as another option for those who are adding this feature to their smartphone.
    This was a very timely post! I was just trying to figure out how to get camp forms to my son's trail life leader. I just downloaded cam scanner to my Samsung phone and it was free and easy to use. I had been meaning to buy a scanner app, but never knew which one worked well. Thanks Susan and Cindy.
    Dorinda

DD 14 - 9M with Geometry, MPOA(Henle 2, Comp3), Lukeion Greek2
    DS 12 - core 7M with Henle 1
    DS 8 - core 3A/4A
    DS 4 - loving life with AAR1

Hi There!
    So I downloaded TurboScan, scanned the 6 pages of one of my son's practice sets due this week, attempted to upload to his course and then received the message that the document was too large. Can anyone tell me what to do now? Are there a maximum number of pages allowed to be uploaded at any one time?
    Thanks for your help,
    Susan

Susan,

Thanks for the question about the upload. We just did a massive Moodle upgrade and we have to increase the file size limit. That should be done pretty quickly. For some reason when we did the upgrade defaulted it to 2MB instead of 20MB. 2MB files are VERY small. We'll get this fixed.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy