Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SC Level 3 -- now on the MP website!

Default Re: SC Level 3 -- now on the MP website!

My son is finishing a mash up of MP1 and SC2 this year. He will be done with Storytime Treasures and More Storytime Treasures, and Prima Latina (he really needed something he could feel 'big' about and I already had it from my older kids.) We use our own math program. If customizing options were added to the Latin selection and the ability to remove math like on the Core Curriculum grades that would solve most of our problem.

That leaves the literature issue. When I was planning on cobbling it all together like I did this year. I was going to use the Core 2nd grade literature with him. I am thinking about either buying some of the 2nd grade literature sets to expand his year or maybe just skipping literature for More Storytime Treasures, so we can be in one guidebook. I would dearly love to cut down the number of guidebooks I have to look at every day! Are there any of the 2nd grade literature books that will definitely not be included in SC4? I hate buying books twice, and don't want to be in this situation next year, but I also want to keep him doing literature.

Hi, Miah.

Yes, we will work on the onlne customizing options.

Until then, you could move to LC 1 for Latin, move up for math, and then choose either of these options to minimize your number of lit guides:

1. Repeat selections from MP More Storytime by teaching from SC More Storytime. The extra phonics from Mrs. Lowe's Phonics & Reading Guide is built in to the SC edition, with her permission, of course. This eliminates that extra guide.

Or

2. Teach Animal Folk Tales and Beatrix Potter's four small books with the accompanying guides and key from MP 2. We do not plan to include Animal Folk Tales or the small Beatrix Potter books in SC 4.

More info:
    As you may know, Prairie School is in SC 3. In SC 4, we teach Courage of Sarah Noble and Little House in the Big Woods, along with some MP 3 lit selections and an Intro to Greek myths.

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    If customizing options were added to the Latin selection and the ability to remove math like on the Core Curriculum grades that would solve most of our problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    Yes, we will work on the online customizing options.
    As Cheryl said, we will see if we can broaden the customization options on the website. Until then, or if anyone ever needs to customize beyond what the website will allow, you can always call or email the office and we can build a custom package on our end.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeM View Post
    It looks good!

Is the Enrichment Guide sample pretty indicative of the guide as a whole?

Hi, Aimee,

If you're following this thread:
    We now have a a more substantive sample on the website. The art, music, and science usually coordinate with the American history read-aloud. As you will find indicated in the main SC 3 Curriculum Guide, the knowledge to be covered will be spread over 4-5 days, and some is repeated for review. Teachers can review more often, study more deeply, or even omit some days or weeks, if the Simply Classical Core subjects need more attention.

For anyone else reading:

As indicated elsewhere, we are adding to the SC 3 Curriculum Guide a chart of SC 3 weekly science topics with optional science resources. We will make these resources available as a separate science set.

Anticipating this:
    If you happen to order your SC 3 Curriculum Guide before the science chart is inside the guide, we can supply you with the new chart as soon as it is ready!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Anticipating this:
    If you happen to order your SC 3 Curriculum Guide before the science chart is inside the guide, we can supply you with the new chart as soon as it is ready!

Thanks-
    Cheryl
    I wondered this, since I hit the send button on my order before that prior post! I'm good with that!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C
    DD (2/13) - soaking it all up!

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1
    DD (2/13) -still soaking it up, using Jr. K workbooks and R&S workbooks

Thank you for including Science in the SC levels, and for adding a science plan page to the SC3 guide! Sounds great!

We're in a similar position as Miah. We have finished SC Storytime and MP1 More Storytime.

Cheryl, do you think Prairie School, Animal Folk Tales and the Beatrix Potter books would be a good next step?

I need to figure out our reading plan. Whether to go right into the full MP2 literature and carry on (my original plan)or fill some time before SC4 releases and go into that instead of MP3 literature. Sounds like SC4 will be a nice mix of grade 2 and 3 literature and that intrigues me.

My son has Miss Rumphius to go in More Storytime and he definitely wants to keep reading through the summer. I have the full grade 2 literature package.
    Married to DH for 11 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS9- Simply Classical 3 / Grade 2 Classic Core, DD6- Grade 1 Classic Core, DD 4- Simply Classical C

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    We're in a similar position as Miah. We have finished SC Storytime and MP1 More Storytime.

Cheryl, do you think Prairie School, Animal Folk Tales and the Beatrix Potter books would be a good next step?

I need to figure out our reading plan. Whether to go right into the full MP2 literature and carry on (my original plan)or fill some time before SC4 releases and go into that instead of MP3 literature. Sounds like SC4 will be a nice mix of grade 2 and 3 literature and that intrigues me.

My son has Miss Rumphius to go in More Storytime and he definitely wants to keep reading through the summer. I have the full grade 2 literature package.

It seems to me that the deciding factor should be how well he is reading.

Has he been reading the MP More Storytime books himself, or are those books serving as read-alouds?

If the former (i.e., he is reading those books by himself), I would proceed to the full MP 2 literature plan, especially because you already own it.

If the latter (i.e., he is progressing only with the books as read-alouds), I would teach phonics & reading & literature from SC 3, and then feel free to add Animal Folk Tales & Beatrix Potter as read-alouds now, with the MP 2 literature guides to help you teach vocabulary development, literary analysis, and comprehension.

Does that help?

He has read them himself. Well, we're team reading really. He reads the odds and I read the even pages. Then the next day we switch and he's evens and I'm odds. So he ends up reading the full selection. He's doing the full guide with us working a good answer. I write it and he copies it into his workbook.

So off to MP lit 2 we go!

I am definitely still doing SC 3 writing- read aloud with him. He definitely needs that.
    Married to DH for 11 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS9- Simply Classical 3 / Grade 2 Classic Core, DD6- Grade 1 Classic Core, DD 4- Simply Classical C

That is amazing! Even more to celebrate. Good work, Colomama!!

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    Does the enrichment guide let you know, by week, perhaps in the appendix, what science topics are covered each week (so we can get necessary books prior)? I was basically planning on having my daughter just read those "let's read and find out about science, Gail gibbons and Cat and the hat learning library" books for "science" but having a nice little plan would be helpful! I think it is going to be perfect!
    I was wondering if any progress has been made on this?
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Christine,

The science lessons are in the Enrichment guide week by week. We don't have a list in the back because we don't have resource books assigned for SC 3 science. The science lessons are thoroughly developed within the Enrichment Guide. But if you want to add resource science books, that would be fun!

Sorry to have missed this question earlier.

Tanya

Me again. Cheryl has reminded me that she does want a science set that would be supplemental, and she even sent me a copy of it in May that I somehow misplaced. But I have it now, and we will get on it. As soon as we have it packaged, we'll post for you!

Sorry for the confusion! It's all generated by me!

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Me again. Cheryl has reminded me that she does want a science set that would be supplemental, and she even sent me a copy of it in May that I somehow misplaced. But I have it now, and we will get on it. As soon as we have it packaged, we'll post for you!

Sorry for the confusion! It's all generated by me!

Tanya
    If anyone has a burning desire to know the topics, according to the week...here are a few of the first few weeks!

Week 1 - Columbus - Sailing- Oceans (I just finished pre-reading this book and I would highly recommend learning a tiny bit about the sailing terms before starting the story. I also printed a map with many of the locations mentioned in the story. (I googled it).

Week 2 - Pocahontas - Tribes in America (then a section on noting differences of skin color, but also on things we all have in common despite some outward differences)

Week 3 - Pocahontas (we do this for 2 weeks) - Human Needs/languages

Week 4 - The Thanksgiving Story - Harvesting

Week 5 - Sarah Morton's Day - Mayflower - more ship terms, "pilgrims" -hurricanes

Week 6 - Benjamin Franklin - Electricity - Lightning

Week 7 - George Washington - Self Care - Teeth

Week 8 - Betsy Ross - Science of Homemaking

Week 9 - Betsy Ross (2 weeks for this book) - Fine arts needed for homemaking

Week 10 - Where was Patrick Henry - 5 senses, health benefits of fruits and veggies

Hopefully that can get you started on finding books for the first 10 weeks!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Or ... if you're not fond of the "thrill of the hunt," we have a recommended science book list for each week and topic.

We're working on making this available as a science set for purchase and will have the book list available (with ISBNs) reasonably soon.

Or ... if you're not fond of the "thrill of the hunt," we have a recommended science book list for each week and topic.

We're working on making this available as a science set for purchase and will have the book list available (with ISBNs) reasonably soon.
    I am looking forward to this!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Any chance we could get a short list for the first 3 or 4 weeks?
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

That's really a "Tanya question," but ... possibly!

I think we need to check availability, pricing, etc. We will post here, as soon as we have (at least) a few weeks ready to share.

We are working on this package on the website. It will appear in the next couple of days! I think it will retail for $300 and be a compilation of 38 books. Weeks 1-4 are:

Week 1: Sailing, Oceans - Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean (Let's Read and Find Out)
    Week 2: Native Americans, Tribes, Five Senses - Sounds All Around (Let's Read and Find Out)
    Week 3: Languages, Population - Children Just Like Me (DK)
    Week 4: Harvest, Food Preparation - The Biography of Tea by Carrie Gleason

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    We are working on this package on the website. It will appear in the next couple of days! I think it will retail for $300 and be a compilation of 38 books. Weeks 1-4 are:

Week 1: Sailing, Oceans - Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean (Let's Read and Find Out)
    Week 2: Native Americans, Tribes, Five Senses - Sounds All Around (Let's Read and Find Out)
    Week 3: Languages, Population - Children Just Like Me (DK)
    Week 4: Harvest, Food Preparation - The Biography of Tea by Carrie Gleason

Tanya
    Great! I have the first 3 books! Yeah!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1