Thread: SC3 Phonics/Summer Phonics

Default SC3 Phonics/Summer Phonics

Hi!

We are definitely set to finish AAR 3, I believe before beginning SC3. However, the stories are starting to get much longer and I think we are both kind of burning out on AAR. I really think going through FSRE is going to be beneficial and I'm excited to return to full MP! However, I am still debating on whether to finish AAR 4 or not. I'm looking it over and while it does cover some more phonograms, continues to help segment words, it starts getting more into language skills and reading comprehension and less phonics. A generous forum user donated her level 4 to me, so I have it, but still need to invest in about $50 on the student packet. I'm wondering if you have any advice. It's also hard to decide with nothing to look at/compare! I suppose we could save level 4 for next summer?

I feel her weakest area is just segmenting words. She is also having some trouble with -ed, -ing, etc and seeing the base word. I'm thinking I can handle practicing that with books she will be reading. I'm just a little concerned the books won't be difficult enough (the Storytime treasures were definitely "easy") to get enough practice with it. (Though no worries, I'm not thinking we should be doing anything other than SC3)

..and then there is just that finishing something we started thing. I have no desire to go through the program with my other two children, but it has been a huge help to my oldest.

Lastly, I see that Core Skills phonics 3 and 4 are scheduled to be in SC3. I just checked the 8 week extension for SC2 and see that Core Skills 3 is scheduled and that is says it will continue in SC3. (will any of these pages be repeated in SC3, say for students new to SC?) We stopped doing Core Skills when we picked up AAR. So, we have done some of the Core Skills 2, but not all of them. Should I have her work through both Core Skills 2 and 3 this summer? (she kind of likes those sheets...so I have that going for me).
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C
    DD (2/13) - soaking it all up!

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1
    DD (2/13) -still soaking it up, using Jr. K workbooks and R&S workbooks

Default Re: SC3 Phonics/Summer Phonics

Congrats on getting close to finishing AAR3. If your both feeling burned out, I wonder if that's a signal to pause and take a step back. Maybe spend some time this summer working through the core skills phonics books, maybe re-reading through some of the AAR 3 stories and fluency sheets?

On the other hand, AAR 4 does look like it covers a lot more of those base words and prefixes/suffixes. You could go through it but skip the comprehension exercises? Maybe, I don't know, we're only 1/3 of the way through level 2. It is helping, but it is a slog.
    Susan

2017-2018
    A (9) - AAR/AAS with SC2, R&S math 3, hoping to start SC 3 in the spring
    C (8) - AAR/AAS with SC2, R&S math 2, hoping to start SC 3 in the spring
    G (4) - Simply Classical A, hoping to start SC B in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by sfhargett View Post
    Congrats on getting close to finishing AAR3. If your both feeling burned out, I wonder if that's a signal to pause and take a step back. Maybe spend some time this summer working through the core skills phonics books, maybe re-reading through some of the AAR 3 stories and fluency sheets?

On the other hand, AAR 4 does look like it covers a lot more of those base words and prefixes/suffixes. You could go through it but skip the comprehension exercises? Maybe, I don't know, we're only 1/3 of the way through level 2. It is helping, but it is a slog.
    We are only on lesson 20 of AAR3! Definitely have no plans to do AAR4 this summer!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    We are only on lesson 20 of AAR3! Definitely have no plans to do AAR4 this summer!

Well I misread your post for sure! I would think that doing AAR4 along with SC3 in full would be overkill. You could reassess when you're close to finishing SC3 or even mid-year. Our kiddos often seem to need to cover skills from multiple angles, so maybe AAR3, SC3, AAR4 could be a way to go.
    Susan

2017-2018

Well I misread your post for sure! I would think that doing AAR4 along with SC3 in full would be overkill. You could reassess when you're close to finishing SC3 or even mid-year. Our kiddos often seem to need to cover skills from multiple angles, so maybe AAR3, SC3, AAR4 could be a way to go.
    Yes, I'm sure that is probably what will happen. We might start AAR4 and just do 1 lesson a week..and plan to finish in the summer...but no rush, either way. I will definitely not do SC3 AND AAR4. I'm really just debating whether to do it or not....(next summer). It's probably too early to assess, so I will definitely hang onto it. I agree that sometimes this child needs lots of support.

We are currently doing about 1-2 lessons a day. However, it just depends on the phonogram. We did not, for example, need the 3-4 lessons on "ir". So, that went quickly. She does still like the stories, they are just longer, so we break it up, but finish the story on the day we begin it. The other day I said "ok, we'll just do 3 pages now and 3 after dinner". She liked the story so much, we finished it....
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

I always want to plan things out way in advance (years) also. Its good to have a framework I'm working towards, but I've got to give up long term detail planning. It just doesn't work for us, something always changes.

We're spending 1-2 days on a lesson. If I could get 2 sessions a day out of him that would speed things up. I might see if I can try that. Nothing has been difficult for him so far, but he does get fatigued pretty quickly. Then again, he might not retain things if I push him, I think it's all the practice on a concept in AAR that helps him. I was worried about syllables and magic e words and he just picked them right up, which of course, has me second guessing my decision not to do strictly SC. I'll likely second guess myself forever. He definitely likes the stories, and prefers them to the ALS readers.

I will say, I'm not sold on AAS though. We're a few weeks away from level 2, and level 1 has not been particularly impressive. I like how it's set up to strictly deal with each phonogram/concept, but I'm not sure it has enough direction for us. Just practice these words with tiles and on paper hasn't been enough for new skills. I may have to combine AAS word lists with SC spelling's weekly plan, I'm not sure. I don't want to return to Barton, but I haven't ruled that out either. I won't be surprised if I end up re-buying more parts of SC 2 at Sodalitas.
    Susan

2017-2018

I always want to plan things out way in advance (years) also. Its good to have a framework I'm working towards, but I've got to give up long term detail planning. It just doesn't work for us, something always changes.

We're spending 1-2 days on a lesson. If I could get 2 sessions a day out of him that would speed things up. I might see if I can try that. Nothing has been difficult for him so far, but he does get fatigued pretty quickly. Then again, he might not retain things if I push him, I think it's all the practice on a concept in AAR that helps him. I was worried about syllables and magic e words and he just picked them right up, which of course, has me second guessing my decision not to do strictly SC. I'll likely second guess myself forever. He definitely likes the stories, and prefers them to the ALS readers.

I will say, I'm not sold on AAS though. We're a few weeks away from level 2, and level 1 has not been particularly impressive. I like how it's set up to strictly deal with each phonogram/concept, but I'm not sure it has enough direction for us. Just practice these words with tiles and on paper hasn't been enough for new skills. I may have to combine AAS word lists with SC spelling's weekly plan, I'm not sure. I don't want to return to Barton, but I haven't ruled that out either. I won't be surprised if I end up re-buying more parts of SC 2 at Sodalitas.
    I wouldn't get hung up on how much is completed each day. We really followed the "20 minutes" for a long time. AAR does sometimes recommend two sessions a day for older children. However, if he is progressing, I wouldn't rush it. We spent 3 weeks on 1 lesson in AAR1! Those blends were tricky! (and where her problem really was, I believe now). I still don't know if she is dyslexic. The neuropsychologist said no. However, her scores of scatter still lead me to believe there is a possibility. Although, "just" ADHD could be enough of a hinderance. I think she needed more work on fluency and building up her stamina. This has helped.

I hope to not use AAR with any other children though!! My son has started reading the AAR1 readers though. It's been a totally different experience teaching him!!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Yeah, I'm not really too concerned about his pace, except that he just wants to read so badly. And he wants to skip straight ahead to adventure novels. My child with unrealistic expectations. And he's a perfectionist. The apple didn't fall very fall from the tree.

I completely get it with kids being different. C is way ahead of her brother in reading, she's breezing through STT. It can be tough since he's older. She's reading fun, classic easy readers at bedtime and I'm making him read Soft and White.
    Susan

2017-2018

I had some more time to think about this and I'm really looking for a solid summer plan for my oldest! We covered handwriting in another post, but really this is a broad "how should we proceed".

I believe I plan to start in August, with SC3, but that depends on when it arrives in my home! I like to have several weeks to look through it, before jumping in.

We will be working through SC2 through Memorial Day.

Our June is busy from 9-12ish most days, but we could probably fit in a little school in the late afternoon, or even evenings.

Our July we will be traveling and I plan to take the 2 weeks my husband is off, totally "off" of school. That brings us to mid-July already! Wow, the summer is gone, and we haven't even started! HA!

If we just do 1 lesson a day of AAR3 (5 days a week), we will finish at the end of June. My biggest question, since I think I have convinced myself that AAR4 will just get shelved until next summer is what to do about those Core Skills books 2 &3. I don't think she can complete them both between now and the beginning of SC3. However, while I plan to do FSRE, as scheduled in SC3, we did actually already do it. I do feel she needs the review. We won't be doing the writing portion of it (except writing on the board or lined paper some of the words, etc). We could perhaps do those Core Skills 3 scheduled in the summer of SC2 then?

Spelling. We will work through the SC2 words. She can spell most of them, but not the "common" words, so we will work on those a bit.

Math. She is good on her addition and subtraction facts 1-10. She is close to having them all to 18. I'm thinking we will work through book 1 of R&S 2. I believe Tanya mentioned this is what they do with their HLS students. I think she'll benefit from the triplicates taught in 2, but she might not need to do a whole year of 2. I'm totally open to just seeing how she takes it and how fast/slow we go. To start, I think we'll knock out that book 1 this summer though.

Handwriting as discussed in a different post we will work on "beautiful" printing for several weeks and then a few weeks before we begin SC3, we will pick back up cursive.

I will make sure she is reading something everyday. This doesn't really seem to be a problem though! If often "find" her with a book!

My husband does religion with her in the evenings, so we won't focus on this during our day for the summer.

My son, on the other hand. I will have to see how FSRA goes. He is doing really well and I was considering not repeating it. I do like all the activities suggested in SC1 though, so again, we'll see how he progresses after finishing FSRA. I can't believe how much "easier" teaching this child has been! WOW! I may give him a few of the preliminary backlines from R&S 1 to work on this summer and a few letter formation worksheets and call that his summer learning. I'm still debating SC1 or MPK for him. I regret not doing SC1 with my oldest, but he is a different child. He is very smart, but definitely has a low attention span and overwhelms very easy if the work is perceived to be too much. That alone leads me to SC1. I just don't want to short change him either. He will be a 6 year old.

..and then there is that 4 year old! She writes "Mom" at least 100x a day and then recently learned to spell her cousin's name "Max". I suspect she could begin FSR with the SC1 plans, but I don't want to overwhelm myself with teaching 3 kids to read....but I might not have a choice either? Her letter formation is also surprisingly good. I remember teaching both my older two to write the number 8 and it taking a least a week. She got it "right" on the first try! LOL She needs some boundaries though....meaning she doesn't get to decide what to do and when to do it when it comes to school work.
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

I might have found the answer to my question in this post...but I still can't quite picture how it is all going to work... Cheryl mention's Anita's "gifted" but asynchronous child, but I think mine fits the bill as well!

https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...chronous-Child
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

How are you doing with this planning, Christine?

One quick answer is, yes, use those untaught Core Skills: Phoncs 2 pages! She likes them, they are nicely laid out, and they will help her with visual phonics practice. Do not feel you need a fancy plan to match it up with Classical Phonics or Phonogram cards, as we do when teaching, because you are merely reviewing. You can just let her move through the concepts in the order presented.

I have not yet checked to answer your question about specific pages from Core Skills 3, but she may have enough just working through book 2. See what you think when you map it out.

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    I see that Core Skills phonics 3 and 4 are scheduled to be in SC3. I just checked the 8 week extension for SC2 and see that Core Skills 3 is scheduled and that is says it will continue in SC3. (will any of these pages be repeated in SC3, say for students new to SC?) ...[W]e have done some of the Core Skills 2, but not all of them. Should I have her work through both Core Skills 2 and 3 this summer? (she kind of likes those sheets...so I have that going for me).

Here is a note on this, Christine, in case you still need an answer.

SC 2
    School Year - ALL of Core Skills: Phonics 2
    8-week Extension - Core Skills: Phonics 3, pp. 3-65

SC 3
    School Year - For new users: Core Skills: Phonics 3, pp. 3-65, Weeks 1-17
    School Year for all - Core Skills: Phonics 3, pp. 66-end, Weeks 18-34.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post

SC 2

SC 3
    Ok, perfect! I still don't know how exactly we will proceed, but that helps guide me. We did re-start core skills 2. I was a little worried because I couldn't find 2, but I found it. I remember it being quite a struggle those last few days before we put it away. When I pulled it out this time she said "why am I doing this, it is too easy". I said perfect, it is review! She started doing it, thankfully, and is now enjoying them. (still claiming it is too easy! LOL).

I don't have a core skills 3, so I won't order it just for the sake of fitting it in this summer. I'll just wait for it to arrive with the other SC3 materials, when available. If we get it before we officially begin SC3, I can see that getting a little head start will be fine, or just plain waiting is fine too! It might actually be ok to wait because I don't plan to do FSR E, written. She completed the written work already. I plan to follow the plans as outlined in the schedule, but we will write the words on the board, etc, instead of the workbook. So, having a little extra writing in Core skills 3, may be just fine.

Incidentally, we began Math 2. I am using the grade 2 plans. WOW. I know there was discussion about this earlier and yes, the MP2 pace is wow....tears on the first day. We are pushing through. I am not doing all the pages, but I am having her do quite a bit. The quite a bit is still way more than she is used to! I can see math 2 is a bit different anyway, and I think this will condition her to have more pages of math to do now and won't be a struggle when new material comes. (quite a difference from basically 2 pages to 4-6, even if we are just doing 1 lesson a day). She's also complaining this is too easy, but clearly it is not, because it is so writing intensive, which we need practice on. I'm glad we are tackling this now, instead of later. (the newness of grade 2 math)

Lastly - totally not related but my husband surprised me last night, after reading an article in "The Classical Teacher". He happened to notice the dates (even though I have mentioned them before and said I was disappointed I couldn't go - but not "upset" since we are attending a family wedding). Anyway, he said "well, you could go on Tuesday?" I said, "How will that work"? And he said we would all just drive to KY on Monday, instead of our home. I googled the distance and it is 10 min longer to get to KY over our home. So, we could totally do this. I'm just debating if I will be up for it after being away from home for a week already. I'm sure my husband can find something to do with them during the day, so not worried about that.

Would it be disruptive to show up in the SC sessions for only the 2nd day? I know how intimate it was last year....

Things to think about!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Come if you can -- one day, two, days, three days! We would love to see you.

Come if you can -- one day, two, days, three days! We would love to see you.
    booked a room for Monday and Tuesday night (can cancel, so we aren't for certain yet!)...looking for options for hubby to do with kiddos now!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

SC 2

SC 3
    Core Skill Phonics 4 is also listed as part of SC3. Is it used concurrently with Core Skills 3 or is it used over the summer, as Core Skills 3 is with Simply Classical 2?

Thanks!
    Married to DH for 11 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS9- Simply Classical 3 / Grade 2 Classic Core, DD6- Grade 1 Classic Core, DD 4- Simply Classical C

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    Core Skill Phonics 4 is also listed as part of SC3. Is it used concurrently with Core Skills 3 or is it used over the summer, as Core Skills 3 is with Simply Classical 2?

Thanks!
    Good question!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post

Thanks!
    Summer! (Aka 8-week Extension)

And a quick Sodalitas clarification:
    Sodalitas registrations are soaring. We will gladly accommodate Howiecram's request for one-day registration, as promised above, but this will only occur because we can pair her attendance with someone who can attend the other day!

For most, plan on the 2-day registration. Not only is this logistically more desirable, your 2-day experience will be better!

I'm reviving this thread! I'm looking over the SC3 manual and it appears that there is no mention of what to do if you did not complete Core Skills 3 in the summer review of SC2. The Core Skills 3 begins on week 18, and begins on page 66. It would be "easy" to just add a page a day, 4x a week to get to that spot. However, if you were new, you might not know that the first 65 pages were already completed. It might be a surprise to find it on week 18.

Also, if a person is doing the alternate phonics plans, it says to do Core Skills 4. It might be nice to include in the manual to do either Core Skills 4 or Core Skills 3, depending on whether it was completed already or not!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Excellent suggestions. We will work on those notes today.

(Our SC pioneers: priceless!)