Thread: SC Cottage School

Default SC Cottage School

We spent some of 2015 and all of 2016 completing cores K, 2nd (combined two of my boys), and 5th (also combined two of my boys). I bought individual cores for all of them to complete in 2017, but had Baby Ten in January, freaked out and sold most of 4th FNU and 8th grade, and have yet to start back with MP. I have complete cores for 1st, 3rd (that I'd be using for my 3rd and 4th graders, 14 months apart, CANNOT see the benefit of separating since they are so close in age/skill), and 6th. My 8th/9th grader has MFW's 9th grade we can use. ... Anyway, my questions is -- Is there a Cottage School (which seems like a MP co-op at its base level, correct me if I'm wrong) in SC anywhere? I think it would help me so much if I didn't feel so ALL ALONE in our classical MP Homeschooling.

Default Re: SC Cottage School

Hello,

I have let the Cottage School Director know about your post and am moving the post to our Cottage School sub-forum. He should get back with you soon!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Readingmother: Can you turn on your PM and let me know where in SC you are? I know of at least one MP family there and might be able to pass your info along if you're close to them.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-13 & DS-14 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

How do I turn them on? We're Upstate SC (Greenville/Spartanburg area)

You would need to click on "Settings" in the upper right corner and then when the new page comes up, click on "General Settings" in the list of red links on the right.

The family I know isn't near Greenville but I can ask if they know anyone out your way.
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Algebra I, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)

Quote Originally Posted by readingmother View Post
    We spent some of 2015 and all of 2016 completing cores K, 2nd (combined two of my boys), and 5th (also combined two of my boys). I bought individual cores for all of them to complete in 2017, but had Baby Ten in January, freaked out and sold most of 4th FNU and 8th grade, and have yet to start back with MP. I have complete cores for 1st, 3rd (that I'd be using for my 3rd and 4th graders, 14 months apart, CANNOT see the benefit of separating since they are so close in age/skill), and 6th. My 8th/9th grader has MFW's 9th grade we can use. ... Anyway, my questions is -- Is there a Cottage School (which seems like a MP co-op at its base level, correct me if I'm wrong) in SC anywhere? I think it would help me so much if I didn't feel so ALL ALONE in our classical MP Homeschooling.
    Good afternoon! We have received some interest in establishing a campus in Greenville, but at this point nothing has been established. If you visit HighlandsLatin.org and click "Start a Campus" in the menu-bar you can submit a form expressing interest in the program. The more people from a particular area that express interest, the more likely a campus will form.

Thank you!

Best,
    --Ryan

We're in the Greenville area as well. Just wanted to wave and say "hi!"

We aren't using full cores. I tried, but all three of mine are special needs and there's no way I can juggle three cores per the manual, on top of their other needs -- so we just use a lot of MP pieces and combine where we can.
    I did go through the motions of beginning to flesh out a plan for a cottage program, and was even able to find some great teachers -- but a place to have it never panned out. As you are probably aware, most of the church campuses already "house" co-ops of some variety, so I received consistent, "Sorry -- no space!" replies, even with an offer of paying rent Because I wasn't able to really get an answer (from others with programs in the area), regarding liability when a cottage or co-op is in a private home, I wasn't comfortable running one with MANY families in my own home, even though we could comfortably fit a couple classes.

I still have hopes that it'll somehow work out for the year after next. Finding a place to have it was, again, proving very difficult, so I'm spending the next year trying to get a feel for that. It's also the hope of my kiddos' teams that therapy needs will lessen, in frequency, in a year or so.

I'm actually in a position where I could probably juggle cores in a cottage program, with other teachers helping to provide some instruction, even though I'm not able to juggle it on my own this year.

ETA: my kids are 7 (almost 8), almost 5, and 15. My teenager doesn't use MP for anything really (dyslexic and needs more kinesthetic and visual components), but my risking kindergartner and rising third grader are using mostly MP -- just scattered skill levels, so not in a core.
    Last edited by AimeeM; 03-25-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Hi AimeeM!

So, you must know a few MP families since you were thinking of starting a school? I know no one else who uses MP (for anything).

We are actually in the Spartanburg area -- and I was looking more along the lines of attending a school already in place. We need community, but we're also AD Military, 14 months out from PCSing again. But maybe when my husband retires in 6 years, I'll look into starting one where we settle (hopefully back at home -- Cincinnati).

We are pretty relaxed here (why I stay away from the forum most of the time), so I don't feel like we're really "classical enough" to start the kind of Cottage School that's being talked about here. I'm on pg. 6 of that long continuing dialogue post -- and I was thinking more along the lines of the first "one room schoolhouse" that was mentioned. I have not learned yet why the order in the curriculum is so important (other than age appropriateness -- but I've never figured out how that is possible in Homeschooling ... my Littles pick up on ANYTHING we're learning), and I literally cannot be but ONE Mom/teacher. And I'm not interested in paying for classes until high school. So ... I don't know.

But, we could get together. And I could hug you. Another real life MP mom. I have ten children: my oldest daughter has graduated and works, I have an 11th grade daughter that attends classes part time, and I have sons in 8th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, and 1st. With a sixth son -just turned 5, and two baby girls 3 years old and 3 months old. ... ... did I mention one-room schoolhousing(?!) Yes. I think that will be my mission. Managing MP for all. In one room (home).

Thank you for your reply

Hi AimeeM!

So, you must know a few MP families since you were thinking of starting a school? I know no one else who uses MP (for anything).

We are actually in the Spartanburg area -- and I was looking more along the lines of attending a school already in place. We need community, but we're also AD Military, 14 months out from PCSing again. But maybe when my husband retires in 6 years, I'll look into starting one where we settle (hopefully back at home -- Cincinnati).

We are pretty relaxed here (why I stay away from the forum most of the time), so I don't feel like we're really "classical enough" to start the kind of Cottage School that's being talked about here. I'm on pg. 6 of that long continuing dialogue post -- and I was thinking more along the lines of the first "one room schoolhouse" that was mentioned. I have not learned yet why the order in the curriculum is so important (other than age appropriateness -- but I've never figured out how that is possible in Homeschooling ... my Littles pick up on ANYTHING we're learning), and I literally cannot be but ONE Mom/teacher. And I'm not interested in paying for classes until high school. So ... I don't know.

But, we could get together. And I could hug you. Another real life MP mom. I have ten children: my oldest daughter has graduated and works, I have an 11th grade daughter that attends classes part time, and I have sons in 8th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, and 1st. With a sixth son -just turned 5, and two baby girls 3 years old and 3 months old. ... ... did I mention one-room schoolhousing(?!) Yes. I think that will be my mission. Managing MP for all. In one room (home).

Thank you for your reply
    The order is for laying foundations -- that's one thing that really impressed my husband and I about MP. Everything has a purpose, not just a "we study this because that's what third graders study".

Every homeschool family is a one-room schoolhouse by default and that is certainly how classical education was implemented in this country over the last two centuries. But the children, although soaking up what they were hearing from other lessons, worked up through their levels. So while they were all in one room, they were learning what they needed at that point in their education and eagerly awaiting the day when they would get to be in the "second reader" or whatever level they felt would make them a "big kid"

You're definitely not alone in your mission! I know of one other MP mom who has 9 or 10 kids, if I'm remembering correctly, and many of us have 6 or 7 -- you're in good company!
    Jennifer

2017-2018
    DS-11 (5M)
    DS-9 (SC2)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC1)
    DD-3 (Preschool)

2018-2019
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)

Quote Originally Posted by rweston View Post
    Good afternoon! We have received some interest in establishing a campus in Greenville, but at this point nothing has been established. If you visit HighlandsLatin.org and click "Start a Campus" in the menu-bar you can submit a form expressing interest in the program. The more people from a particular area that express interest, the more likely a campus will form.

Thank you!

Best,
    --Ryan
    Ryan,

Slightly off track, but is there any way to know if there has been interest expressed in a cottage school in our area? I put out some questions / feelers for it and didn't receive much response so I shelved the idea, but the groups I am involved with on FB largely view co-ops as enrichment or CC so I'm not surprised. I do know there are a couple of MPers around here, but there may be some waiting to come out of the woodwork. Thanks!

Michelle
    ~Michelle

DD 10 (MP 5)
    DS 8 (MP 4)
    DS 2 - board books and causing chaos
    DD Born 6/27/18

Quote Originally Posted by 3Blessings View Post
    Ryan,

Slightly off track, but is there any way to know if there has been interest expressed in a cottage school in our area? I put out some questions / feelers for it and didn't receive much response so I shelved the idea, but the groups I am involved with on FB largely view co-ops as enrichment or CC so I'm not surprised. I do know there are a couple of MPers around here, but there may be some waiting to come out of the woodwork. Thanks!

Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

The best way would be to go the the site and submit the "Start a Campus" form. When you will out the form, there is an opportunity to leave some comments. At that point you can request information regarding interest in your area. I will gladly get back to you with any information I have!

You can view that form here: https://highlandslatin.org/start-a-new-campus/

I just wanted to add an answer about the liability issue of housing a cottage school in your home. The things you would need to be concerned with are that most of us set up the CS as an LLC - it makes collecting money, having a bank account, filing taxes, etc that much easier. We hold liability insurance in the name of the school to cover all of our students. You would need to check if that works out with your homeowner's policy or not. And then also check if you have an HOA - many times the covenants of an HOA forbid a business being run out of a home.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. My insurance agent is my husband, so i could get answers for you easily!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st || DD 4 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 7 months

Quote Originally Posted by KF2000 View Post
    I just wanted to add an answer about the liability issue of housing a cottage school in your home. The things you would need to be concerned with are that most of us set up the CS as an LLC - it makes collecting money, having a bank account, filing taxes, etc that much easier. We hold liability insurance in the name of the school to cover all of our students. You would need to check if that works out with your homeowner's policy or not. And then also check if you have an HOA - many times the covenants of an HOA forbid a business being run out of a home.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. My insurance agent is my husband, so i could get answers for you easily!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah.
    The friend I have did say that she has liability insurance through an LLC she established... but she also specified that I would still be liable (myself, my home, etc.) if a parent really wanted to push an issue. Since most of the children involved have special needs of some kind, this is a concern of mine. I know from personal experience that with children who have sensory needs, even the most mundane day can go south quickly over any perceived inconsistency. While these classes would be kept very, very small, the general idea I got from her (my friend) is that the most important thing is to know the families well... but that isn't possible in my case. We do not know--on a very personal level--most of the families who would be interested. Could you clarify what she means? Would liability insurance established through an LLC be enough to protect myself, a second teacher, and my home? She said something about an umbrella policy? What is that?
    My house isn't a long-term solution, because we wouldn't ever be able to "grow," really, but it could certainly serve us well for a year or two... if I can resolve my own hesitancy RE the insurance/liability/LLC issues.
    Our HOA doesn't seem to have anything to say about businesses being run from private homes. I see a number of advertisements for home businesses on our subdivision FB page, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeM View Post
    Hi Sarah.
    The friend I have did say that she has liability insurance through an LLC she established... but she also specified that I would still be liable (myself, my home, etc.) if a parent really wanted to push an issue. Since most of the children involved have special needs of some kind, this is a concern of mine. I know from personal experience that with children who have sensory needs, even the most mundane day can go south quickly over any perceived inconsistency. While these classes would be kept very, very small, the general idea I got from her (my friend) is that the most important thing is to know the families well... but that isn't possible in my case. We do not know--on a very personal level--most of the families who would be interested. Could you clarify what she means? Would liability insurance established through an LLC be enough to protect myself, a second teacher, and my home? She said something about an umbrella policy? What is that?
    My house isn't a long-term solution, because we wouldn't ever be able to "grow," really, but it could certainly serve us well for a year or two... if I can resolve my own hesitancy RE the insurance/liability/LLC issues.
    Our HOA doesn't seem to have anything to say about businesses being run from private homes. I see a number of advertisements for home businesses on our subdivision FB page, at least.
    Hi, I thought I would chime in because I look up zoning on a regular basis for my husband: so something else to check into (in addition to your HOA) is the zoning of your city or county (unless you live in an area with no zoning). It's one thing for a few families to gather loosely for a co-op at a home, but if you are going to advertise and officially call it a school--then zoning is an issue. Now, a lot of areas generally allow schools within general residential areas, but I have seen some very strict zoning that would not allow this. This would be very easy to look into--most cities/counties have zoning maps and ordinances posted online--you find your property on the map and then look up the zoning in the ordinance. If you can't find that, just find the phone number for the appropriate local government department and call--they will look it up for you quickly and can answer questions about zoning, and what you are specifically looking for are the permitted uses--the things you can use a property for without getting special permission. Generally, if you live within city limits, you look at the zoning of the city (and not the county) and vice versa--as in, properties have either city or county zoning requirements, not both. (Again, call if in your area it isn't clear.) Additionally, when people say home business: there is a home business like we have, where my husband works from home, but he could essentially be working from a campground or Starbucks, because he is a self-employed professional that never meets with his clients at his home. We could have the strictest HOA and it wouldn't effect us. So people who work from home instead of renting an office space to save money and moms who sell products via a MLM company--those aren't the same as a home-based business that requires customers to come to the home on a regular basis--like a school. Those are the kind of businesses HOAs often restrict or forbid. So you definitely would want to get your hands on a copy of the bylaws, which is an official legal document. Our neighborhood has no official HOA with bylaws, just an informal one that charges $10/year to take care of a sign. If you have an official HOA, even if it isn't very active, the bylaws would be part of the legal records of the neighborhood and the bylaws would somehow be referenced in your property deed.
    Michaela
    Daughter: Age 9 MP 4A (MPOA for FFL)
    Son: Age 5 MP JrK and Kumon workbooks so that he can have as much "homework" as big sister without rushing through MP materials

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeM View Post
    Hi Sarah.
    Aimee,
    Here's the rundown.

As a homeowner, you have personal liability coverage to a certain limit. If someone sues you as a private, individual person, you have that coverage available to you.

As a business owner, you would get a liability policy in the name of the LLC. You, acting as an agent of that company, would have that liability coverage available to you for anything that occurred related to the business.

Your teachers, if they are working as independent contractors (which is how we set it up with our teachers) are not covered under the liability of the company because they are not "employees." They would need to carry their own liability insurance - either through their own homeowners, or under a business name they set up for the contract work they do.

Now, any policy has limits of coverage. So regardless of whether it is your homeowners, or a business policy, the liability coverage will max out at a certain point. For example, you might have $300K liability coverage under your HO policy. But that might not be enough to cover damages if you were ever sued. So an umbrella policy increases the amount of coverage you have, depending on how much you purchase. You can purchase personal umbrella policies (as an extension of the limits of your HO coverage) or commercial umbrella policies (as an extension of what the business policy covers).

So if you are a private citizen, tutoring students in your home, you would mostly likely rely on your homeowner's insurance, with or without an umbrella.

If you set up an LLC, and accept payment through the business name, you would want a liability policy in the name of the LLC to cover you. But it would not cover another teacher unless you made that person an actual "employee" - which is a lot more to deal with in terms of taxes and withholdings. Teachers who work on a contract basis would have to rely on their own liability coverage, however they choose to do it.

The other thing to keep in mind in setting all this up is that there are different insurance policies covering "schools" specifically, versus companies that offer tutoring services. If you call yourself a "School" in your business name, you will face different rates than if you are a non-school entity. Our LLC is "Highlands Latin Fredericksburg, LLC" for that reason. We do not identify as a traditional school because first of all we don't have the same exposure a full-fledged school would have, and secondly because the nature of our business is truly a tutoring service rather than a full-time educational institution. Make sense? This makes a difference of many hundreds of dollars on our policy.

When I did a Latin class in my home for a couple of friends, I did not charge for the class. It was great experience for me to try it out, and it was a great way to see friends. It does not have to be "official" to get your feet wet and get your ideas rolling. Then when the time is right, you find a location, etc., then you can begin to take the steps you need to become "official."

Does that help? And it is always prudent to talk over the specifics of what you are considering with your own insurance agent. He or she can give you the best, specific help for your situation.
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2018-2019
    DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
    DD 6 - 1st || DD 4 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 7 months

Is there a way to connect the interested families that signed up even if a cottage school isn't started in Upstate SC?

Is there a way to connect the interested families that signed up even if a cottage school isn't started in Upstate SC?
    I'm not sure how to PM on here, but you're welcome to connect with me via FB. I can reach out to some of my local homeschool groups to see if anyone else is interested in making similar connections based on similar methods, if you'd like. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the area, what your faith affiliation is, or how familiar you are with the local "homeschool scene," but I'm active in several local groups (not co-ops, but homeschool activity groups and similar).

Thank you so much!!!
    I'm back to the drawing board :P I think I need to check with my HOA, first, then I could see what the interest would be in a small enrichment group or similar. Such a focus isn't ideal, but I think it's all I'm comfortable with considering I'm only able to use my personal home right now.
    Eventually, I would love for the focus to be special needs children, like my own, and more "core," but I'm well aware of the challenges that this may present -- for anyone, including a church cover -- regarding liability.

Quote Originally Posted by KF2000 View Post
    Aimee,
    Here's the rundown.

As a homeowner, you have personal liability coverage to a certain limit. If someone sues you as a private, individual person, you have that coverage available to you.

As a business owner, you would get a liability policy in the name of the LLC. You, acting as an agent of that company, would have that liability coverage available to you for anything that occurred related to the business.

Your teachers, if they are working as independent contractors (which is how we set it up with our teachers) are not covered under the liability of the company because they are not "employees." They would need to carry their own liability insurance - either through their own homeowners, or under a business name they set up for the contract work they do.

Now, any policy has limits of coverage. So regardless of whether it is your homeowners, or a business policy, the liability coverage will max out at a certain point. For example, you might have $300K liability coverage under your HO policy. But that might not be enough to cover damages if you were ever sued. So an umbrella policy increases the amount of coverage you have, depending on how much you purchase. You can purchase personal umbrella policies (as an extension of the limits of your HO coverage) or commercial umbrella policies (as an extension of what the business policy covers).

So if you are a private citizen, tutoring students in your home, you would mostly likely rely on your homeowner's insurance, with or without an umbrella.

If you set up an LLC, and accept payment through the business name, you would want a liability policy in the name of the LLC to cover you. But it would not cover another teacher unless you made that person an actual "employee" - which is a lot more to deal with in terms of taxes and withholdings. Teachers who work on a contract basis would have to rely on their own liability coverage, however they choose to do it.

The other thing to keep in mind in setting all this up is that there are different insurance policies covering "schools" specifically, versus companies that offer tutoring services. If you call yourself a "School" in your business name, you will face different rates than if you are a non-school entity. Our LLC is "Highlands Latin Fredericksburg, LLC" for that reason. We do not identify as a traditional school because first of all we don't have the same exposure a full-fledged school would have, and secondly because the nature of our business is truly a tutoring service rather than a full-time educational institution. Make sense? This makes a difference of many hundreds of dollars on our policy.

When I did a Latin class in my home for a couple of friends, I did not charge for the class. It was great experience for me to try it out, and it was a great way to see friends. It does not have to be "official" to get your feet wet and get your ideas rolling. Then when the time is right, you find a location, etc., then you can begin to take the steps you need to become "official."

Does that help? And it is always prudent to talk over the specifics of what you are considering with your own insurance agent. He or she can give you the best, specific help for your situation.
    AMDG,
    Sarah

We are launching a Cottage School in the Upstate in the fall of 2018 for K-6 Grades. Id be happy to answer any questions for you! You can find out more at our website highlandslatin.org/Greenville

Blessings,
    Elisabeth