Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SC 3 Tentative Booklist

Default Re: SC 3 Tentative Booklist

I prefer one sided to use during classtime. My son could handle the double sided smaller ones for personal review though.

For those not into grade 2 yet, the teaching changes to triplet facts all at once. So they learn addition and subtraction at the same time, not separately like in grade one. The student is taught to memorize 12, 9, 3 for example. So they would know how to figure the addition answer by looking at the subtraction problem on the reverse side. So, I'm guessing those two-sided cards would have 9+3 on one side and 12-9 on the other or something.

The amazon linked cards don't go all the way to 18, so they won't work.

I don't mind the size of rod and staff cards. I guess I'm used to them after all this time. Haha.

I will also recommend Learning Resources write and Wipe Fact Family Triangle. I have no idea how to link it, but you can get it on amazon. We use it everyday to talk about whole and part and write the corresponding facts. Bonus, it has division and multiplication on the back so this baby will get a lot of use through the years.
    Last edited by Colomama; 02-07-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    Married to DH for 11 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS9- Simply Classical 3 / Grade 2 Classic Core, DD6- Grade 1 Classic Core, DD 4- Simply Classical C

Well I must have weak hands LOL. I can't shuffle the bigger cards. Although I'm not much better with shuffling the trend cards I do have. So maybe its me!

The amazon linked ones do have all the facts through sums of 18 though. It's confusing, the fact families aren't the same as R&S. When it says through 12 facts it means up to 12+12=24. So there are all combinations of numbers up to 12. (Same with subtraction - up to 24-12=12). So there are extra facts I don't need. I'm about 2/3 of the way through R&S 2 with DS.

Thanks for the tip on the triangle cards, I had seen those but wasn't sure.
    Susan

2017-2018
    A (9) - AAR/AAS with SC2, R&S math 3, hoping to start SC 3 in the spring
    C (8) - AAR/AAS with SC2, R&S math 2, hoping to start SC 3 in the spring
    G (4) - Simply Classical A, hoping to start SC B in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by Colomama View Post
    I prefer one sided to use during classtime. My son could handle the double sided smaller ones for personal review though.

For those not into grade 2 yet, the teaching changes to triplet facts all at once. So they learn addition and subtraction at the same time, not separately like in grade one. The student is taught to memorize 12, 9, 3 for example. So they would know how to figure the addition answer by looking at the subtraction problem on the reverse side. So, I'm guessing those two-sided cards would have 9+3 on one side and 12-9 on the other or something.

The amazon linked cards don't go all the way to 18, so they won't work.

I don't mind the size of rod and staff cards. I guess I'm used to them after all this time. Haha.

I will also recommend Learning Resources write and Wipe Fact Family Triangle. I have no idea how to link it, but you can get it on amazon. We use it everyday to talk about whole and part and write the corresponding facts. Bonus, it has division and multiplication on the back so this baby will get a lot of use through the years.
    These? https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...+wipe+triangle

That looks very helpful for the triplicate numbers you are speaking of with R&S 2?
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C
    DD (2/13) - soaking it all up!

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1
    DD (2/13) -still soaking it up, using Jr. K workbooks and R&S workbooks

Boo-yah! Yes, Christine those are the triangle things. Highly highly recommend those.

Susan- I get so easily confused by the different labels. I have a box of flashcards that say they go through all facts to 12 and they're just as you describe, but they don't have all the facts. Example, it only has 10+7 not 15+2 for example. It also only has 9+3, but not the mirror 3+9. Seems scattered for the upper facts. Maybe that's just the brand I have.
    Married to DH for 11 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS9- Simply Classical 3 / Grade 2 Classic Core, DD6- Grade 1 Classic Core, DD 4- Simply Classical C

Boo-yah! Yes, Christine those are the triangle things. Highly highly recommend those.

Susan- I get so easily confused by the different labels. I have a box of flashcards that say they go through all facts to 12 and they're just as you describe, but they don't have all the facts. Example, it only has 10+7 not 15+2 for example. It also only has 9+3, but not the mirror 3+9. Seems scattered for the upper facts. Maybe that's just the brand I have.
    I'm really not super tech savvy - but just fyi - if you want to link something, just copy and paste what's in your browser and paste it!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Cheryl : the read alouds are a hit. He couldn't figure out coins and after a single read of the coin counting book he could identify the different coins and their value. We just read the Button Box and all three climbed on my lap for a better look!
    Excellent! This is good to hear.

I know I'm a little late, but I thought of this today and realized I never responded.

We were in St. Louis for doctor appts when I spotted a coin. (My kids have a jar of parking lot coins -- saving for something.) I could not tell what the coin was as I passed by, quarter or nickel. "It's a nickel," Michelle said, scooping it up.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    MP has not had time to check availability of each book or to make the list pretty, but Tanya said I can share it anyway!

As always, do not be intimidated by the seemingly large number of components. Everything is organized into teachable plans. The guide provides 34 weeks of easy-to-follow lessons with a complimentary 8-week review. Choose the open-and-go 4- or 5-day routine. You can teach all of the pre-integrated skills, concepts, and literary studies week by week, one day at a time.

I hope to have all components to the formatter/printer by Dec. 31. With a belated Happy Birthday to howiecram's son, and an early Merry Christmas to Colomama's, here is your list.

Simply Classical Level 3: Literature, Latin, & Liberty

Simply Classical Level 3 Tentative Booklist

Reading/Phonics/Spelling

ALS Sounds of the Sea (book six)
    SC Spelling: Step-by-Step Words Book Two
    Core Skills: Phonics 3
    Core Skills: Phonics 4

[If not taught prior to beginning SC 3:
    FSR E Teacher Guide
    FSR E Student Book
    MP Phonogram Cards
    Classical Phonics
    ]

Literature
    SC More StoryTime Treasures
    SC More StoryTime Treasures Key
    Billy and Blaze
    The Story About Ping
    Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie
    Stone Soup
    Wagon Wheels
    Prairie School
    Prairie School literature guide

Cursive
    My Thankfulness Journal: Beginner
    NAC 2 Quotations of Famous Americans

Arithmetic
    R&S Arithmetic 2 SET - Teacher Manual for Units 1-3, Student Books for Units 1-3, Blacklines, R&S flash cards
    Learning Resources -- Write On/Wipe Off Demo Clock - large

Arithmetic Supplemental Read-Aloud Set
    Anno’s Counting Book, Mitsumasa Anna
    Five Chinese Brothers, Claire Huchet Bishop
    Button Box, Mararette S. Reid
    Millions of Cats, Wanda Gag
    Two of Everything, Lily Toy Hong

Recommended Arithmetic Supplies (obtain before teaching):
    R&S 2 assorted visual aids (make or purchase)
    10 Dominos with patterns zero to 10
    5 dice
    Real coins: penny, nickel, dime, quarter
    Floor number line (or tape/sidewalk chalk to create this)

Christian Studies
    The Story Bible (from previous SC level)
    SC Copybook Book Three

Writing/Composition/Grammar – choose one or both:
    Simply Classical Writing: Bible Edition – correlates with The Story Bible
    Simply Classical Writing: American History Edition – correlates with SC 3 American History Supplemental Read-Aloud Set

Note: SC Writing R-A can be taught without reading these books; however, as always, the program will be enhanced by following the full SC 3 lesson plans for reading, writing, and comprehension.

Introductory Latin/English Grammar & Vocabulary
    [These will be continued in SC 4. Purchase only once for the two years.]
    Prima Latina Student Book
    Prima Latina Teacher Manual
    Prima Latina CD

SC Enrichment Guide
    Art, Music, American History, Science

Tentative SC 3 American History Supplemental Read-Aloud Set
    Listed by Week

(1400s)
    Meet Christopher Columbus
    (plus poem in appendix)
    James T. deKay
    ISBN-13: 978-0375812101

2 and 3
    (1500s-1600s)
    Pocahontas: Young Peacemaker
    Leslie Gourse
    ISBN-13: 978-0689808081

The Thanksgiving Story
    Alice Dalgliesh
    ISBN-13: 978-0689710537

Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl
    Kate Waters
    ISBN-13: 978-0439812207

(1700s)
    Benjamin Franklin
    Ingri and Edgar Palin d’Aulaire
    ISBN-13: 978-0964380394

Meet George Washington
    Joan Heilbroner
    ISBN-13: 978-0375803970

8 and 9
    Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag
    Ann Weil
    ISBN-13: 978-0020421207

Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
    (plus Selections from “The War Inevitable” -P. Henry)
    Jean Fritz
    ISBN-13: 978-0698114395

Paul Revere’s Ride
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
    ISBN-13: 978-0140556124

12 and 13
    Paul Revere: Boston Patriot
    Augusta Stevenson
    ISBN-13: 978-0020420903

Meet Thomas Jefferson
    (plus selection from
    The Declaration of Independence)
    Marvin Barrett
    ISBN-13: 978-0375812118

15 and 16
    If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution
    Elizabeth Levy
    ISBN-13: 978-0590451598

4th of July Story
    (For Summary and Review)
    Alice Dalgliesh
    ISBN-13: 978-0689718762

2nd semester

Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
    Augusta Stevenson
    ISBN-13: 978-0020418306

Johnny Appleseed
    Reeve Lindbergh
    ISBN-13: 978-0316526340

Robert Fulton: Boy Craftsman
    Marguerite Henry
    ISBN-13: 978-1887840255

How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
    Rosalyn Schanzer
    ISBN-13: 978-0792267263

(1800s)
    The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
    Jacqueline Davies
    ISBN-13: 978-0618243433

Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
    Barb Rosenstock
    ISBN-13: 978-1590789322

Star Spangled Banner
    Peter Spier
    ISBN-13: 978-0440406976

Meet Abraham Lincoln
    Barbara Cary
    ISBN-13: 978-0375803963

Clara Barton: Founder of the American Red Cross
    Augusta Stevenson
    ISBN-13: 978-0020418207

Riding the Pony Express
    Clyde Robert Bulla
    ISBN-13: 978-1887840408

Locomotive
    Brian Floca
    ISBN-13: 978-1416994152

George Washington Carver
    Tonya Bolden
    ISBN-13: 978-1419718397

Thomas Alva Edison
    Margaret Cousins
    ISBN-13: 978-0394848839

Helen Keller
    Margaret Davidson
    ISBN-13: 978-0590424042

(1900s)
    The Wright Brothers: Pioneers of American Aviation
    Quentin Reynolds
    ISBN-13: 978-0394847009

Neil Armstrong: Young Flyer
    Montrew Dunham
    ISBN-13: 978-0689809958

8-WEEK EXTENSION AND
    REVIEW
    Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans
    Edward Eggleston
    Memoria Press

Hi! I'm anxiously awaiting SC3! I'm sure others are too! Did you specifically schedule FSR E in SC3, or will it be more like a note "complete this if you have not yet".
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    Hi! I'm anxiously awaiting SC3! I'm sure others are too! Did you specifically schedule FSR E in SC3, or will it be more like a note "complete this if you have not yet".
    We scheduled it into the very beginning of SC 3. But in the Curriculum Guide, we provide an easy-to-follow alternate phonics/reading plan for anyone who does not need to teach (or review) FSR E.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylswope View Post
    We scheduled it into the very beginning of SC 3. But in the Curriculum Guide, we provide an easy-to-follow alternate phonics/reading plan for anyone who does not need to teach (or review) FSR E.
    Great! I was hoping it was scheduled! We did "do it", but I would really like to review (or do) it!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Yes! They are confusing. I think there are Rod and Staff fact families and then OTHER fact families that make no sense to those of us who are used to R&S. Ha. So here's my guess - if they say that they go through 12 - then 12 has to be the greatest number included in the ones you are adding (12+12=24 - wouldn't have 13+11=24 because 13>12) and 12 would be the highest number subtracted as well (24-12=12 not 24-13=11). I think most brands don't have the mirror facts too. The ones I have do and they say "complete" set on them and specifically show that they do. That's the reason I bought them. I'm hoping the ones I ordered for multiplication and division have all I need. Who knows? It's a gamble.

I tried to tell my son that the 2nd grade shows us all the ways to combine numbers to 18. He said no its not . . . 10+1=11, etc. I had to really think where the line is -- the two one digit numbers that add up to the total. So concrete that child. Always looking for the exception.
    Susan

2017-2018
    A (9) - AAR/AAS with SC2, R&S math 3, hoping to start SC 3 in the spring
    C (8) - AAR/AAS with SC2, R&S math 2, hoping to start SC 3 in the spring
    G (4) - Simply Classical A, hoping to start SC B in the spring

Southern Indiana--About 15 Minutes from Lou, KY

I have a question. I have Latina Christiana materials which I used with my now 9 year old. I had hoped I could use them with Simply Classical but it looks like Memoria Press has changed the curriculum and the old materials will not be compatible with the new ones? Is there any way I can use the older still to help save money(I'm assuming they will eventually do Latina Christiana in Simply Classical sequence?)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
    I have a question. I have Latina Christiana materials which I used with my now 9 year old. I had hoped I could use them with Simply Classical but it looks like Memoria Press has changed the curriculum and the old materials will not be compatible with the new ones? Is there any way I can use the older still to help save money(I'm assuming they will eventually do Latina Christiana in Simply Classical sequence?)
    Yes, we did issue a new edition of Latina Christiana. We spoke to Cheryl Swope and she will be teaching LC immediately after Prima, and she will be using the new edition. There were a lot of improvements in this edition and we do feel it is worth the upgrade. If purchased as part of a Simply Classical Package, it will be heavily discounted.

That being said, if you would rather stick with your old edition, I would go ahead and order the student materials that you need now. We do have limited stock left, but will not be reprinting. Give us a call and we can see what we have.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Southern Indiana--About 15 Minutes from Lou, KY

I guess I'm feeling frustrated because I just bought the 3rd edition this time last year and had hoped it would last through my children as money can be tight homeschooling 4 kids. I found someone selling some of the compatible parts (used) so I may buy it and just have to tweak the curriculum Cheryl designed to meet my family's needs. I have to save as much as I can around here.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
    I guess I'm feeling frustrated because I just bought the 3rd edition this time last year and had hoped it would last through my children as money can be tight homeschooling 4 kids. I found someone selling some of the compatible parts (used) so I may buy it and just have to tweak the curriculum Cheryl designed to meet my family's needs. I have to save as much as I can around here.

Heather
    Completely understandable, and I apologize for inadvertently causing frustration! It's always a struggle to balance (A) improving a product for future users and (B) keeping products consistent for as many years as possible. As I mentioned in my lat post, we do have some stock left of the old edition, and as always, if you need additional help making things work, just give us a call and we'll see what we can do.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

I love the look of this, but I have a question. Will there also be art cards, music cd, and /or Science books/ supplies as part of the SC3 package? Thanks, Lillian

Quote Originally Posted by LillianinAl View Post
    I love the look of this, but I have a question. Will there also be art cards, music cd, and /or Science books/ supplies as part of the SC3 package? Thanks, Lillian
    We tried to keep this as affordable as possible, so this is the plan:

You will not need to purchase a music cd. We will provide a Spotify/iTunes playlist for you.

Art lessons are expanded to teach or review artists and periods from ALL K-2 Art cards. People can purchase the posters or re-use their sets from previous MP or SC levels.

Science is embedded in the SC Enrichment guide with lessons including observation, classification, research, and experiments using household items.

In SC 4, we will expand our coverage of classical science through classifications. I'm also excited about a possible art component for SC 4. Too early to say about music, but I have an idea and, as always, requests are welcome!

This is getting way ahead of things, but for SC4 I would think you could use the Mammals curriculum with a new guide. We have The World of Animals, and it is a fascinating book for my kids. Also, the Creating Art resource looks amazing, and I do not even know that it would have to be modified.

Good morning, Jeje! You're not too far ahead at all.

The copy editor & I completed final edits on the last ex nihilo book (SC Writing: American History Read-Aloud edition) on Holy Saturday.

With this accomplished, I began SC 4 in earnest on Monday, so I have been submerged in potential SC 4 books all week. I'll start a new SC 4 thread & add your input.

Thanks very much --

Cheryl

Is there a supplemental read-aloud/enrichment book list not previously listed?

There is a 20% off at Thrift books for 4 + books and just wanted to make sure I had all the "necessary" and supplemental books for this level!

Thanks!
    Christine
    (2016-2017)
    DD (8/09) SC2
    DS (9/11) SC-C

(2017-2018)
    DD (8/09) SC3
    DS (9/11) SC1

Quote Originally Posted by howiecram View Post
    Is there a supplemental read-aloud/enrichment book list not previously listed?

There is a 20% off at Thrift books for 4 + books and just wanted to make sure I had all the "necessary" and supplemental books for this level!

Thanks!
    How often do they do sales like that? I've ordered before, but I'm not on their email list.
    Jennifer

2016-2017
    DS-13 & DS-12 (mix of MP5 & MP7), DS-10 (4th for New Users), DS-8 (MP K), DD-6 (MP K), DD-4 (FSR), DD-2

2017-2018
    DS-14 & 13 (mix of 6M & 8M)
    DS-11 (5M),
    DS-9 (?)
    DD-7 (MP1)
    DD-5 (SC2)
    DD-2-1/2