Thread: Greek Tragedy DVD help

Default Greek Tragedy DVD help

Hi!

We have been making our way through the Greek tragedies with the help of the dvds and are really enjoying the study. We are just beginning our study of Sophocles. The sessions on the dvds are labeled "Lesson 1", "Lesson 2", etc...all the way through lesson 17. It is very difficult to determine for planning purposes which lessons correspond to the three separate plays without first watching all of the lessons. The dvd introduction does not specify this either. Would it be possible for someone to tell me which lessons cover each play?

I'm guessing this will be the case for the Euripides plays as well so if you can tack on the same info for those dvds that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks much.

Default Re: Greek Tragedy DVD help

Quote Originally Posted by runner girl View Post
    Hi!

We have been making our way through the Greek tragedies with the help of the dvds and are really enjoying the study. We are just beginning our study of Sophocles. The sessions on the dvds are labeled "Lesson 1", "Lesson 2", etc...all the way through lesson 17. It is very difficult to determine for planning purposes which lessons correspond to the three separate plays without first watching all of the lessons. The dvd introduction does not specify this either. Would it be possible for someone to tell me which lessons cover each play?

I'm guessing this will be the case for the Euripides plays as well so if you can tack on the same info for those dvds that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks much.
    For The Three Theban Plays (Sophocles), each disc corresponds to one play, and the plays are listed in the Lessons Menu of each disc.

Disc One: Antigone
    Disc Two: Oedipus the King
    Disc Three: Oedipus at Colonus

For The Oresteian Trilogy (Aeschylus), the lectures could not be divided so neatly into one disc per play, but the Lessons Menu will tell you what lectures/lessons go with each play.

Disc One: Agamemnon
    Disc Two: Agamemnon (3-4), Choephori (5-8)
    Disc Three: Eumenides

The plays in Medea and Other Plays (Euripides) are also not divided into one play per disc due to uneven length, but the discs themselves tell you what play(s) are on each disc. We can look into doing the same for Sopholces and Aeschylus when we reprint them, but again, the plays should be listed on the Lesson Menu.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

I noticed in the new catalog that the Grade 10 core curriculum now includes the Greek tragedies dvds. Are these, then incorporated into the lesson plans? I have a set of plans that I purchased in the fall that do not include the dvds. I am curious to see how the lesson plans have changed to include them. Is it possible to get a new set of plans if this is the case? Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by runner girl View Post
    I noticed in the new catalog that the Grade 10 core curriculum now includes the Greek tragedies dvds. Are these, then incorporated into the lesson plans? I have a set of plans that I purchased in the fall that do not include the dvds. I am curious to see how the lesson plans have changed to include them. Is it possible to get a new set of plans if this is the case? Thanks much!
    The lesson plans have not changed at all. Just like with Latin or Classical Composition, the DVDs are optional and thus not scheduled in the lesson plans.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

I apologize for resurrecting this thread, but it touches on my question regarding the DVDs ... since they are not in the lesson plans, when is it recommended that they be viewed? Should my son read the play first and then watch the DVDs, or should he watch first and then read? With Homer, we read and then watched (and I'm not sure that was the intended order either); but, those were easier because it was by book/chapter. This is the first time I'm teaching drama/plays to him.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five:
    Ds '01 - MPOA (Logic, Writing, Austen/Shakespeare) plus MP 10 core (Classical Studies, Christian Studies, Modern/US Studies)
    Ds '03 - MP 8 core (Classical Studies, Christian Studies, Geography, Literature)
    Ds '06 - MP 6 core (Classical Studies, Christian Studies, Geography, Literature)
    Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - SC C
    Ds '15 - making mischief

Brit,

This is difficult, and we definitely need to include use of the dvds in the lesson plans. Here is how we divided up Agamemnon, but that's all we have completed at this time. We are working on the rest of it.

Week One: Watch the "Introduction" lecture at the beginning or end of Monday. No change to Wednesday and Friday.
    Week Two: No change to Monday or Wednesday. On Friday, read pp. 69-85.
    Week Three: On Monday, read pp. 86-100. On Wednesday, watch Lectures 1-2. No change to Friday.
    Week Four: Watch Lecture 3 at the end of Monday. Watch Lecture 4 at the end of Wednesday. No change to Friday.

I hope this helps temporarily!

Tanya

Oh that helps tremendously! If you donít mind updating as you have more figured out Iíd really appreciate it. You and all the MP staff are just wonderful. Thank you!
    Brit

Catholic mom to five:
    Ds '01 - MPOA (Logic, Writing, Austen/Shakespeare) plus MP 10 core (Classical Studies, Christian Studies, Modern/US Studies)
    Ds '03 - MP 8 core (Classical Studies, Christian Studies, Geography, Literature)
    Ds '06 - MP 6 core (Classical Studies, Christian Studies, Geography, Literature)
    Ds '15 - making mischief

Where are these DVD's? I can only find DVD's for The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid online (in Classical Studies). In an ideal world centered around me, I'd love to have individual lesson plans created that include the DVD's. I would also like to place a vote for lesson plans that are spread out over the entire week instead of concentrated of only a few days of the week. But, I'll take what I can get. I'll have to rework them, but I'd at least like to have the best sequence instead of adding them in myself and then reworking them.

Speaking of the individual lesson plans, are there any plans to make lesson plans for On Obligations, The Republic & the Laws, and The Divine Comedy? Also, are there any plans for DVD's?

A suggestion, it would be nice if Dante was cross listed in the Classical Studies section since it is in it's suggested timeline (I had to search to find it in Literature).
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Where are these DVD's? I can only find DVD's for The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid online (in Classical Studies). In an ideal world centered around me, I'd love to have individual lesson plans created that include the DVD's. I would also like to place a vote for lesson plans that are spread out over the entire week instead of concentrated of only a few days of the week. But, I'll take what I can get. I'll have to rework them, but I'd at least like to have the best sequence instead of adding them in myself and then reworking them.

Speaking of the individual lesson plans, are there any plans to make lesson plans for On Obligations, The Republic & the Laws, and The Divine Comedy? Also, are there any plans for DVD's?

A suggestion, it would be nice if Dante was cross listed in the Classical Studies section since it is in it's suggested timeline (I had to search to find it in Literature).
    Good afternoon,

Here are direct links to The Three Theban Plays, Medea and Other Plays, and The Oresteian Trilogy, as well as to a discounted set for all three DVD sets.

We typically lesson plan products as they are added to our full Curriculum Packages. I know Dante will be in one, so it will be lesson planned, and we will also be releasing DVDs for Dante. Tanya will know about On Obligations and The Republic and the Laws.

I'm sorry our lesson plans are not always working for your particular situation. While it is impossible to create truly one-size-fits-all lesson plans that work for every single family, one of the beauties of homeschooling is the ability to customize for one's own situation. I love hearing how different families make materials work for them, as you are doing

Finally, thank you for pointing out that Dante is missing from the Classical Studies page. We'll see if we can get that fixed.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good afternoon,

Here are direct links to The Three Theban Plays, Medea and Other Plays, and The Oresteian Trilogy, as well as to a discounted set for all three DVD sets.

We typically lesson plan products as they are added to our full Curriculum Packages. I know Dante will be in one, so it will be lesson planned, and we will also be releasing DVDs for Dante. Tanya will know about On Obligations and The Republic and the Laws.

I'm sorry our lesson plans are not always working for your particular situation. While it is impossible to create truly one-size-fits-all lesson plans that work for every single family, one of the beauties of homeschooling is the ability to customize for one's own situation. I love hearing how different families make materials work for them, as you are doing

Finally, thank you for pointing out that Dante is missing from the Classical Studies page. We'll see if we can get that fixed.
    Thank you!! I'm so excited to see that it Brett Vaden! We were so sad when we learned that he had left and wouldn't be continuing Classical Composition :-(

I'm glad there is hope that at least Dante will have lesson plans. Even though I don't follow yours exactly for subjects that are concentrated onto a few days of the week, having a sequence to spread out makes my life so much easier!! When I spread out lesson plans into a new schedule (sometimes I write on yours to spread them out, but sometimes I create a new schedule based on yours...when I have time I like to do that), would you like me to send you what I have done? I understand that you don't want me giving away your lesson plans, but I wouldn't mind if you made mine available to those who have ordered yours when they are essentially the same but spread out over more days. It's okay if you don't :-) I was just trying to think of how they could be made available to those who are like me without breaking any copyrights.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Thank you!! I'm so excited to see that it Brett Vaden! We were so sad when we learned that he had left and wouldn't be continuing Classical Composition :-(

I'm glad there is hope that at least Dante will have lesson plans. Even though I don't follow yours exactly for subjects that are concentrated onto a few days of the week, having a sequence to spread out makes my life so much easier!! When I spread out lesson plans into a new schedule (sometimes I write on yours to spread them out, but sometimes I create a new schedule based on yours...when I have time I like to do that), would you like me to send you what I have done? I understand that you don't want me giving away your lesson plans, but I wouldn't mind if you made mine available to those who have ordered yours when they are essentially the same but spread out over more days. It's okay if you don't :-) I was just trying to think of how they could be made available to those who are like me without breaking any copyrights.
    That is very kind of you! You are welcome to email them to Tanya, as she would make decisions about releasing them. Thank you!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That is very kind of you! You are welcome to email them to Tanya, as she would make decisions about releasing them. Thank you!
    You're welcome :-) I'm always happy to help other oddballs like myself ;-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 23, graduated
    ds 22, graduated
    dd 14, 8th Grade
    dd 11, 5th Grade
    ds 9, 3nd Grade

Tanya, or whoever else might be able to help so as not to put all the pressure on Tanya ,

We are getting ready to move onto the Choephori in another week and I was curious if you all have even a rough idea of when it utilize the DVDs for it.

Thank you for all your hard work for us homeschoolers, and for all your patience.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five:
    Ds '15 - making mischief

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
    Tanya, or whoever else might be able to help so as not to put all the pressure on Tanya ,

We are getting ready to move onto the Choephori in another week and I was curious if you all have even a rough idea of when it utilize the DVDs for it.

Thank you for all your hard work for us homeschoolers, and for all your patience.
    We do! It's not formatted at this point, but if you'll email me (michael@memoriapress.com) with your order number for the lesson plans, I'd be happy to share what we have.
    Michael
    Memoria Press