X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7blessings001
    • May 2016

New here, can't wait to get to know you

Hello everyone,

First off i want to apologize for this being so long. Words cannot describe how grateful I am to have found this forum. I am a mother of 7 beautiful children. We have a very unique family in that all of us including my husband and I are all somewhere on the Autism spectrum. It is a very long story that I actually have a blog about so I do not intend to go into it now. I will say this, that most of my kids and my husband and I both are extremely high functioning but I do have 2 of my youngest kiddos that are more moderately affected. I home schooled my older kids up until my oldest was in 7th grade when we put them into public school due to the many therapies we were taking the little ones to. We also put our little ones in school as soon as they were old enough because I did not think I could home school a special needs child. My other kids didn't require modification to their curriculum. However, I pulled my little girl out last year and my son out just about a month ago after the school told me that my expectations were too high for him. I am currently in the process of going back to school to get my bachelor degree in special education and I had to do some observations for a class. I was deeply discouraged by my experience. One class I observed only had 5th and 6th grade students in a special needs class watch starfall videos for 1.5 hours. A non-verbal child didn't even have a rudimentary system to say yes or no. It was in this moment I realized that my son's future was this classroom. So when I read my son's report wanting to change his IEP to basically let the teacher off the hook on working towards his goals I knew I had no choice. However, my husband and I literally have no support. We had to recently break off from their therapy due to the director undermining my decision. She kept telling me they need to remain in school. Telling me I cannot handle this. She treats me differently than other families because I have Aspergers. She is pro-home school just not for us. I looked into a special needs school that she has sent other kids to and she was against that too. I'm not sure why but she has left me with major feelings of inadequacy and discouragement. I know I can do this as I have always been one to be just stubborn enough to walk a less traveled path and not only make it but succeed. So, imagine my surprise when my daughters speech teacher told me she thinks I should put my daughter back in school and that she is willing to go talk to the principal on our behalf. Huh? I am amazed by this. What do they think is going to happen? Do they think that my children will receive a stellar education here. That somehow by just being in the building my daughter will miraculously be made whole and that I'm denying her a bright future. I'm so sorry for venting but I am so tired of people telling me I can't do it. Praying to God I asked Him to help me find the right choices for my kids and I was at Mardel's and in the miscellaneous section of homeschooling books I saw the Simply Classical level 3 book. In that moment I knew I had found something. I wrote down the name of the company so I could look if up because I felt level 3 was too easy. They would pass that checklist with flying colors and I was so happy to see that level 1 would be a good fit for them..with this big long story comes a few preliminary questions. As I am sure many of you can relate my kids have some behavior issues that we need to work on. Would it be best to work on getting some of the behaviors under control before starting the curriculum. To give you an idea as to where they are my a son and daughter can speak full sentences. They, however, tend to compete for my attention and will bite, pinch, kick, or generally annoy each other a lot of the time. This does tend to get very much on my nerves and I get short with them. My son has a low tolerance for working and he asks me everyday when are we doing school because I've been doing Explode the Code and Math u See with them but after a small amount of work he starts whining and complaining.He does know how to read on a 1st grade level. He can write his letters although it needs work. He also has adhd and so he often gets distracted. My daughter also has adhd although not diagnosed along with her autism. She is extremely distractable. She can count to 10. Knows her letters and sounds. Cannot rhyme. I'm pretty sure she has auditory processing disorder. Her fine motor skills are behind. Teaching her to write is not coming well at all. Also, if you have two special needs children on the same level do you work on their lessons together? I also have a kindergartner which will be joining us and she would start the kinder curriculum. Any suggestions on how this might work together? My husband and I both want our other children to come home too. The kids complain daily of the new fangled math they try to teach them and they are not challenged at all. They are older though so they will be more independent in their work. My husband works from home so we together are very supportive together. We are planning on taking this summer to becoming minimalist (not crazy minimalist or anything but we have a house full of clutter and would like to bring in things that will surround us and our kids with beauty. We have decided our TV will take a limited place in our life. We have 6 acres and would like to start homesteading. My daughter has a unique way with animals and my son has a love for music. I would love to develop these things. I'm so sorry for rattling on. I know I will have more questions later. I know this is what I've been looking for in a curriculum. My husband is teasing me because he says my aspie traits are showing because I'm obsessing over it, lol. I probably am. But I feel hope right now that I have found what I am looking for and once again despite the odds I'm going to move forward for my kids. P.S. I know this won't be an easy path and there will be many frustrating moments. We all are still growing in the Lord. I have learned to set goals in very small bite sized chunks because if I don't I am a lot like my children. I get frustrated and want to quit. I use to set steep impossible goals but read a book about my own adhd and learned that small achievable goals are the way to go.
    Last edited by 7blessings001; 05-17-2016, 12:18 AM.
  • cherylswope
    MP Representative
    • Mar 2012

Re: New here, can't wait to get to know you

Welcome to you!

I love this:
    I know I can do this as I have always been one to be just stubborn enough to walk a less traveled path and not only make it but succeed.

With your entire family on the autism spectrum, you see first-hand that the beneficial cousin of autistic "perseveration" is perseverance. Good for you.

This is the link to the curriculum.

Here are the readiness assessments. (They include social/emotional/behavioral development.) Level 2 Readiness Assessment will be posted soon, possibly today.

You can begin this way:

1. See where each child falls on the assessments.
    2. Use the guidelines after you record scores for each child.
    3. Let us know if we can help!

You do not need to wait for good behavior to begin. In fact, very often behavior will improve due to the content and structure of your homeschooling!

Your minimizing/decluttering will likely help too, if your children are anything like my twins on the autism spectrum. Less is definitely more for my children to restore stability, order, and calm.

If you have not yet read the book Simply Classical, I think you will especially appreciate the first four chapters. They read like a narrative to expose some prevalent educational theories. Like you, I spent time involved with special education classes, classrooms, and programs. Also like you, I wanted more for my children.

We're glad you're here!

Thanks-
    Cheryl
    Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child (Memoria Press)

SimplyClassical.com -- catalog, curriculum, book

Comment

• 7blessings001
      • May 2016

Thanks Cheryl, I just got the book in the mail today and already read several chapters before I had to take the kids to karate. I even read some to my husband and he even agreed that this seems to be the best thing for my our kids. I was so discouraged when I observed the special needs classrooms for my observations. So much so that I wonder why in the world I am going to school at all if I don't agree with any of it. They wanted to lower my son's goals. He had not met one goal this entire year. I've had him home for a month and he has completed 2 and progressed on others. My mom thought I should talk to the superintendent but I told her I wasn't going to. For one, I don't like conflict and two, I saw the future for him when I observed the higher grades class. It wouldn't matter if I fought it. He would never get the education he deserves if he stays here. I know my daughter and him will always struggle but I want them to have the best. I am looking forward to getting started. I would start tomorrow if I could but I will have to wait because summer is almost here and there will be visits to grandma's and other interupptions. But I will use this summer to get good and ready for everyone to start from home again. One quick question, my daughter has very poor fine motor skills and another problem. She seems to trace words OK but cannot seem to figure out how to write them correctly even after she traces them. We tried shapes and other things and always she can trace but if I draw it and then tell her to copy it she can't do it. Part of it is her fine motor but it seems to be something else going on too. Any suggestions?

When my son saw the cover of the book he studied it for a good minute and said, "Mom, that's Jesus. Jesus wanted you to have Sawyer for a son." Sawyer is his name but often he says it in 3rd person. But it just makes me smile when he says that.
      Last edited by 7blessings001; 05-18-2016, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• cherylswope
        MP Representative
        • Mar 2012

When was your daughter's most recent evaluation? Did you feel it was comprehensive? If insurance covers a full private evaluation, you might begin pursuing this process now. Then you might receive some good answers before you begin this fall. In your Simply Classical book, you'll see Assessment chapters with suggestions to prepare for formal assessments.

In the meantime, you can give her (independent) summer practice in visual-motor skills through her interest in animals. Create a bin of the homeschooling "treasures" you find in your clean-up! Place into a bin or basket any of the following: books for creating clay models of animals, colored pencils with paper and stencils of animals, puzzles with animals, dot-to-dots that create animals. Include books of animals with a sketchpad for near-point drawing of an animal. Set a timer and allow her to select her own activities from this bin.

Reading your description here - My daughter also has adhd although not diagnosed along with her autism. She is extremely distractable. She can count to 10. Knows her letters and sounds. Cannot rhyme. I'm pretty sure she has auditory processing disorder. Her fine motor skills are behind. Teaching her to write is not coming well at all.

You might take a look at the Level B assessment. We work hard on visual and auditory discrimination, rhyme, and fine-motor skills in this level. See what you think. Do not be afraid to start seemingly "below" her age level. I think you will make up for lost time quickly!

Thanks-
        Cheryl

Comment

• cherylswope
          MP Representative
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by 7blessings001
          When my son saw the cover of the book he studied it for a good minute and said, "Mom, that's Jesus. Jesus wanted you to have Sawyer for a son." Sawyer is his name but often he says it in 3rd person. But it just makes me smile when he says that.
          And this? Priceless.

You will love having the freedom to integrate your faith into your children's special-needs instruction.

We're looking forward to sharing all of this with you.

Comment

• 7blessings001
            • May 2016

Her last report was on 02/17/2015. It was done through the school system. It showed below average, and lower extreme in various areas and one area of average ability. They said she continues to have symptoms of autism. According to her report her short attention span gets in the way of her learning. She will start conversations often with the same questions but does not continue with conversation turn taking. She is not diagnosed with adhd aND I wonder if she would benefit from meds. I am not sure how I feel about that but if it helped then it may be worth trying.

Comment

• cherylswope
              MP Representative
              • Mar 2012

The turn-taking difficulties can be related to her autism, but your other concerns may warrant a more complete assessment: extreme distractibility, cannot rhyme. I'm pretty sure she has auditory processing disorder. Her fine motor skills are behind. Teaching her to write is not coming well at all.

You might find all of these at the same place:
              -neuropsych testing to include I.Q. testing (for subtest scores as well as overall)
              -an ADHD evaluation
              -a good OT evaluation
              -audiology specializing in auditory processing

Depending on your insurance coverage, this might occur at a children's hospital, Shriner's or Knights of Columbus clinic, or university clinic (sometimes low-cost or free). Always ask for free assessment options, especially if your insurance does not cover testing. A thorough evaluation is worth traveling to find, if you suspect un-diagnosed obstacles to her learning. Few physicians would advise ADHD medications without a formal ADHD diagnosis anyway.

While you decide if you want to pursue this, you and your husband can brainstorm all of the known techniques that help her. These might be methods you have used yourselves. They might be methods you observed at school. Keep those handy, as you plan for the fall. You can even take this list to an evaluation, because it might help the examiner.

All of this will be a shift from relying on "experts" to dictate the timing of evaluations, diagnoses, and interventions. You and your husband will become the team of pro-active advocates for each child. (Find organizations for special-needs laws in the Appendix of your SC book.)

You have already taken the first step by discussing the children's educational purpose and plans! Even if you eventually decide to return your children to school, this process will empower you.

Comment

Working...