Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klwalukas
    • Mar 2013

SFL Final Review questions

On Worksheet 10, number 4, the correct translation in my book is "A noble citizen gave a fortune to (his) country." My daughter wants to translate it as "The country's noble citizen gave a fortune." Is there any reason she can't translate it this way? And if not, why not?

In number 11, it seems to be in imperfect, and is translated as "The King much desired a victory against the Romans," but she wants "The King was much desiring a victory against the Romans." Is this ok?

Thanks!
    Kristin
    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
    DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
    DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.
  • Michael
    • Feb 2012

Re: SFL Final Review questions

Originally posted by klwalukas
    On Worksheet 10, number 4, the correct translation in my book is "A noble citizen gave a fortune to (his) country." My daughter wants to translate it as "The country's noble citizen gave a fortune." Is there any reason she can't translate it this way? And if not, why not?

In number 11, it seems to be in imperfect, and is translated as "The King much desired a victory against the Romans," but she wants "The King was much desiring a victory against the Romans." Is this ok?

Thanks!
    Kristin
    For number 4, the sentence could grammatically mean, "The country's noble citizen gave a fortune." Good catch!

For number 11, your daughter's desired translation is more literal and absolutely ok. Students should just note that it often sounds better in English to translate the Latin imperfect into the English simple past, as was done in the translation given in the Answer Key. See 2c in the Translation Checklist at the beginning of the Workbook (p. 4).

Comment

• klwalukas
      • Mar 2013

Re: SFL Final Review questions

Thank you so much!
      Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
      DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
      DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Working...