Thread: Overview of A,B,C and 1,2,3 -- Simply Classical Curriculum

Default Overview of A,B,C and 1,2,3 -- Simply Classical Curriculum

For anyone who would like an updated overview, please see below. Feel free to share wherever anyone might benefit:

Simply Classical Curriculum from Memoria Press

Readiness Levels
    A: Readiness, Rhythm, & Rhyme
    B: Ear Training, Essentials, & Etiquette
    C: Alphabet, Animals, & Aesop

Primary Student Levels
    1: Sentences, Sums, & Stories
    2: Comprehension, Calculations, & Character - view via pages 44-45 in the latest Classical Teacher
    3: Literature, Latin, & Liberty - releasing Spring 2017

Grammar Student Levels - coming

Scholar Levels - coming

What We Embrace

Truth, Goodness, and Beauty
    Unique to special education, Simply Classical Curriculum teaches necessary skills within the context of beautiful books, poetry, music and the liberal arts and sciences. Remembering the humanity of each student, the Simply Classical Curriculum is dedicated to elevating the lives and minds of every child.

Special Education Methods
    We include the innovative multi-sensory and tactile strategies with “overlearning” techniques embraced by special education.
    Examples
    Teachers of Simply Classical Curriculum will find children tracing cursive letters onto sandpaper, creating consonant blends from clay, and physically jumping into concentric circles of word family phonemes.

Special Education Skills
    We recognize the importance of addressing the following skills with demonstrated efficacy: working memory, auditory and visual discrimination, auditory and visual processing, executive function, receptive and expressive vocabulary, phonological awareness, number sense, attention, concentration, speech and oral language, social and pragmatic language, social skills, and self-regulation.

Special Education Modifications

We realize that some students will not learn without signification modifications. For this reason, Simply Classical Curriculum modifies some aspects of the Memoria Press Classical Core Curriculum while retaining the Memoria Press standard of high quality for instruction.
    Examples
    We provide these modifications:
    -task analysis to teach skills in smaller component parts
    -sequential but ungraded levels to focus on skill development rather than age
    -artistic illustrations at every level to support our older challenged students
    -less visual clutter on pages, reduced use of workbooks, oral teaching, lessened daily workload to sustain attention
    -suitable pace to promote delight in learning and enjoyment of content

Compatibility with Respected Therapies
    Simply Classical Curriculum complements, rather than replaces, respected and intensive therapies needed by many children with special learning needs. Parents and schools are urged to provide these therapies for every child as early as possible according to prescribed needs revealed through professional, in-person formal assessments. Speech and language therapies, occupational and sensory-integration therapies, physical therapies, and good medical care should accompany the child’s educational program wherever needed for optimal benefit to the child. For assistance navigating this process, see the Assessment chapters of Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child.

10 Ways We Help Students Succeed
    1. Multiple Modalities
    We teach concepts more than one way to ensure understanding. For example, in phonics the student learns from decodable readers, phonogram cards, clay and other manipulative objects, Simply Classical Crafts A to Z, student books for printing, and Classical Phonics oral exercises.

2. Oral/Aural Learning
    Simple daily recitations and other oral/aural presentation of subject matter teach and improve the following skills in an efficient, cost-effective oral manner filled with good content.

3. Delight and Wonder
    At every level concept development occurs in the context of beautiful language, poetry, music, and delightful read-alouds.

4. Phonological Awareness
    Beginning with ear training in rhyme, sound discrimination, and letter/sound identification in Readiness Levels A, B, and C, phonological awareness is taught sequentially to prepare the student for reading instruction in Student Levels 1, 2, and 3.

5. Number Sense
    Beginning with counting books, games, and objects in Readiness Levels A, B, and C, number sense is developed purposefully prior to introducing formal studies in arithmetic at the primary level. We include “living math books” and kinesthetic activities to assist conceptual understanding and focus on foundational arithmetic skills with engaged repetition.

6. Mastery Teaching
    Cumulative Memory Verses, Prayers, Mental Arithmetic, Grammar Rules, and General Knowledge (geography, science, time, money, days of week, months of year) repeat to solidify memorization over time for mastery learning. Each published program that we integrate into our curriculum emphasizes mastery. We enfold our own multi-sensory techniques and provide additional review wherever needed to ensure retention of material.

7. Depth of Study
    Through read-alouds and Socratic questioning, we can engage students at levels they might not attain if constrained by their own reading abilities. Our carefully selected read-alouds feature highly aesthetic drawings with a richness and depth of content not often found in picture books.

8. Cycling Resources with Sequential Study
    Whether with Bible stories, phonics, or Latin, Simply Classical students receive an introduction of material prior to delving more deeply into the content the second time. (Bonus: this saves on costs for schools and home educators.)

9. 8-week Extensions
    Beginning with Level B, each level offers an 8-week extension for additional practice and review before beginning the next level. This optional 8-week extension is included with the curriculum package and makes success attainable through intensive review.

10. Our Community
    SimplyClassical.com – Join, browse, or read for support. Our 24/7 discussion group consists of parents and teachers whose students face various learning challenges. Through experience, members become equipped to answer questions regarding specific levels, daily scheduling, teaching multiple children with special needs, and other topics.

Read More About the Curriculum

Where To Begin

Online Readiness Assessments
    Begin with the assessment that seems closest to your student’s current skill levels. Take the assessments at this level. Take the assessments at the level immediately below and immediately above this level. Use the criteria given on the assessment page to determine where to begin.

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Along with readiness assessments, you will find detailed descriptions of each level at ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com. If you have any questions after you complete the online assessments for your student, ask for help. The Memoria Press staff, Cheryl Swope, and parents who teach with the Simply Classical Curriculum will be happy to help you.

Research your student’s starting point before you teach.

Time spent prior to beginning will save you time and money in the end. Begin at the level suitable for your child, regardless of the child’s age, to ensure his success. You can always teach at a more rapid pace (combining two days into one) if needed.

Note: It is better to teach sequentially and avoid gaps in learning, rather than move too far ahead of the student’s actual abilities.

View free samples of each level at ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Customer Service

Customization
    You can customize any Simply Classical Level from Level B onward. Substitute an advanced or lowered level of reading, math, or other subjects. View customization options @ ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com.

Individual Lesson Plans

The full curriculum level is most desirable for thematic purposes, integration of content, and reduced overall costs; however, someone may wish to purchase only one set of lesson plans to teach, supplement, or review in a particular area. Individual Lesson Plans provide everything needed for one year of teaching in the desired subject.

SimplyClassical.com

Our 24/7 discussion group consists of parents and teachers whose students face various learning challenges. Through experience, members become equipped to answer questions regarding specific levels, daily scheduling, teaching multiple children with special needs, and other topics. The forum is moderated by Memoria Press staff to offer guidance. Support is available whenever you read the forum for information and encouragement, or if you would like to join and post your own question or comment.

Recommended reading
    Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child (Memoria Press, 2013)

Who Will Benefit

While we do not presume to address every possible special learning need, we are humbled and gratified to hear from appreciative home educators whose children face challenges such as these, yet who have benefited from the Simply Classical Curriculum:

-Down syndrome
    -autism spectrum
    -language delay
    -speech delay
    -neurological conditions
    -apraxia, minimally verbal, and nonverbal
    -mixed expressive receptive language disorder
    -ADHD
    -dyslexia
    -specific learning disabilities
    -processing disorders
    -intellectual disability
    -medical conditions
    -behavior challenges
    -sensory disorders

Testimonials and reviews ...

My son said his very first sentence during Level A! It gave me exactly what I was looking for, something concrete to do with him to work on oral language skills. Michelle

My girls have benefited so much from SC 1 this year and have made more gains than any other year. Finally they enjoy school, which makes my mama heart happy. Jen

Do you know what a MIRACLE this feels like to me and to our family? This curriculum has been a true answer to prayer. Not enough good things to say, truly. My son’s peace and enthusiasm have soared this year. Thank you! Anita
    My son's entrance interview to Level C
    His exit interview from Level C
    months later He is reading aloud.

Fine and gross motor, oral language, and other therapies are wrapped into the weekly readings. We practice making a pointing finger to count objects; we jump, squat down, and push strollers to act out parts of a story; we discuss feelings and learn empathy while learning to read emotions on the faces of the characters. Cheryl Swope has taken those skills that need explicit instruction and woven them beautifully into activities springing out of the books we are reading. She has captured special-needs preschool and bottled it inside something true, good, and beautiful.
    Kate

I cannot tell you how many years I have researched and struggled to teach my girls on my own and now, to have this, I could cry!
    Susan

My 8-year-old went from really struggling to blend sounds at the beginning of the year to reading Green Eggs and Ham nearly flawlessly.
    (Student Level 1) homeschooling mom in Colorado

Huge improvements with this program. (Level B) Aurora

The difference that using SC along with therapies has made for our boys is simply amazing!
    Lillian

Our son is 14. He has low-functioning autism, is non-verbal, has auditory processing disorder, involuntary muscle spasms, sensory integration disorder, and sleep disorder. I was very excited last year to find the book Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child. I have been using Level A of the Simply Classical Curriculum with my son since last September. [Before this,] I was so discouraged and ready to put him in public school. Your book and curriculum have been ... an answer to prayer. Elaine

We are having great success with the gentle approach of the Simply Classical Curriculum. This curriculum is derived from the inspiration of the book Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child by Cheryl Swope, which I would recommend to anyone. Whether your child is diagnosed, different, or apparently average there is much wisdom in these pages.
    CB

We love the way the Simply Classical Curriculum flows. It’s easy for teachers to understand to use in the classroom every day. We used SC Level A [now MP Preschool] in our two-year-old preschool program this year. It works great for preschoolers of all ability levels. We really liked the kinesthetic activities with the reading curriculum.
    – classical school in Texas

-Voted #1 in Special Needs 2014 (SC release year), OldSchoolhouse Magazine

-Rainbow Resource's review of Simply Classical Curriculum

-Cathy Duffy's review of Simply Classical Curriculum
    Last edited by rweston; 12-29-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Default Re: Overview of A,B,C and 1,2,3 -- Simply Classical Curriculum

Sounds wonderful! I wish the higher levels were ready for my son!