Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klwalukas
    • Mar 2013

Trojan War differences between student and teacher guides

This is likely because I bought these guides used, but I am wondering if there have been multiple printings of these books and that I have student and teacher guides that were printed at different times. Is there anywhere that says if a guide is a first, second, or third printing of the book? They both say Copyright 2010, but my teacher guide often has differences between the student guide in that it has additional Enrichment exercises assigned.

Examples:
    Page 11 - student enrichment has 1 & 2, which are numbers 2 & 3 in my guide and I have an additional vocab enrichment listed as 1.
    Page 22 - enrichment number 2, student guide says to look up prudent & incessantly; teacher guide says to also look up zenith.
    Page 26 - master word list - student guide has 4 words, teacher's guide has 6
    Page 27 - mastery substitution - student guide has 4, teacher guide has 5
    Page 33 - student guide says look up melancholy, teacher guide says look up valor and melancholy
    Page 37 -teacher guide says to look up reproach, student guide doesn't have a vocab enrichment.
    Page 44-45 - teacher guide has 6 mastery words, student has 4, substitution, teacher has 10, student has 6
    Page 48 - teacher guide says look up plausible and tirade, student just tirade
    Page 53 - teacher guide says look up vehement, contrive and contrivance, student says vehement
    Page 59 - teacher guide says look up havoc & plight, student just plight
    Page 69 - teacher guide says look up insolent, student guide doesn't
    Page 70-71 - student has 7 mastery words and teacher has 9; student has 10 substitutions, while teacher has 14

I have been making my child do all of the things in the teacher's guide because these items are often on the quizzes. I guess my real question is, how can I know if I buy something if I have the most recent edition? (Obviously by always buying new from MP, but is there anyway to know when buying used?). I sometimes get teacher guides used and student guides new.

Also, why is there a question on pg 19 in the guides about the Battle of Hastings in 1066AD?

Error in both guides:
    page 50 Eurypylus is the grandson of Heracles, not son of Heracles.

Error in teacher guide:
    Pg 46 definitions for Amazons and impetus are switched
    Pg 57 Greek who is not trusted - Sinon, not Simon

Thank you!
    Kristin
    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
    DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
    DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.
  • tanya
    MP Representative
    • Feb 2009

Re: Trojan War differences between student and teacher guides

Kristin,

You need a new teacher guide! Just email [email protected], and we will take care of you.

The battle of Hastings is referred to because it is another battle that took place with a landing on a foreign shore, so we are just making reference to a battle our students have studied in another subject - Famous Men of the Middle Ages - that is a shore battle similar to the Trojan War.

Thanks for pointing out the errors with Eurypylus and Sinon. Those have not been corrected.

The vocabulary errors have been corrected, so you will see those corrections in your new teacher guide.

We mark all the corrections sent to us in our proof copies of the study guides, and when we reprint, those corrections are made. That doesn't require a new edition or copyright date. The only time we would change the edition is when we make significant changes to the content of a book. We are constantly making small corrections as we find them, and we are sorry that this makes for inconsistencies in your books. But we will always replace a frustrating teacher guide for you if it doesn't match your student, so don't hesitate to ask us. You will always get the most recent version if you buy directly from us, but we can't guarantee what you are getting if you buy used.

Tanya

Comment

• klwalukas
      • Mar 2013

Tanya,
      Thank you for the explanation and offer of a new teacher guide. We are almost finished with this book, so I won't need it. Definitely a good reason to always get new guides whenever I can though! I never realized how much revision must go in between printings - you all are constantly improving! Other companies MIGHT publish an errata list, if customers are lucky, but rarely do things actually get corrected.
      We have enjoyed this study very much!
      Thanks again.
      Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
      DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
      DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

• tanya
        MP Representative
        • Feb 2009

We are trying so hard to be error-free, and if you had told me when I first joined the publishing business that it was impossible, I would have accused you of under-achieving. I have been humbled ... We still find an error in LCI every now and then - and it has been out forever!

Tanya

Comment

Working...