Collapse
84 results in 0.0455 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• rweston
    replied to Does Ref/Con need Logic?
    Ha, DK, thanks for the compliment but we may just as well assume she survived my class with minimal harm.

I do agree with what was said above. The degree to which the syllogism is a part of RefCon is minimal. As was mentioned above, it is very easy to grasp even without logic. I would encourage...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hey Jen,

Good question. The Heads of Development taught in Chreia Maxim (Encomium, Paraphrase, Cause, Converse, Analogy, Example) are the ways in which a speaker/writer can expand/establish/explain their idea. The Heads of Purpose as taught in Refutation and Confirmation (Clarity, Plausibility,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• To build upon what Jen had to say, this conversation has everything to do with expectations. We cannot "push" a student if we do not have clear expectations already set.

Obviously as educators, we should be setting realistic expectations of our students. Perhaps less obviously,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• My wife and I were just discussing this very topic with regards to our oldest, who is now working through the Common Topic stage. He, too, had (has!) a tendency to embrace brevity in his writing—across subjects, just as you described. When his younger brother went through the Narrative level we noticed...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Good question! The introduction lesson is a little unique in that it asks the student to paraphrase answers rather than create their own. Still, it is important that the student complete this lesson in its entirety for a couple reasons. First, this is a good opportunity for the student to walk through...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rweston
    replied to NLE Cost increase
    For the Spring Meadows CS we take our exam with the full-time school as if we are just another class at the school. We do not receive an individualized report for each student, only the school wide breakdown.

I wonder if the cost would be the same if you utilized a PO Box instead of a residential...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rweston
    replied to Chreia/Maxim Research
    HI, Lauren. Good (and common) questions. I'll take a shot at providing some insight, but please let me know if there are follow up questions.

1. Though it is not the central focus of this program, it does offer teachers the opportunity at a "soft introduction" to the important...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Good afternoon.

I would say your list is off to a good start! As it pertains to the upper levels of composition (particularly Chreia/Max and Ref/Con) the best advice I can offer is to avoid being distracted by elements of the program that are not the focal point (e.g. the "research"...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rweston
    replied to Learning to write
    Jessica rightly summarized our take on this. In composition we are focusing on the skills that writing and speaking require; it is truly a rhetoric program. The student who progresses through Classical Composition, then, should possess the skills necessary for communicating persuasively and with clarity....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Hello,

While we do not have an example of the document you are looking for, HSLDA may. Their "Starting a Group" information has been helpful to others in the past, and may be for you as well! Link to that page is below. Also, please feel free to call the MP office at any time...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rweston
    replied to Cottage Schools in Texas?
    Hello,

There has been some discussion of establishing a campus in Richmond, TX. If you are interested in being connected to the potential leadership there, please send me an email: [email protected]. Thank you.

Best regards,

Ryan...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rweston
    replied to Latin
    Can you clarify what you mean when you say "combining comps 2-4" – is that referencing IEW still, or Classical Composition? If it is the latter, I would strongly recommend not combining those programs into a single year. Refutation/Confirmation needs a full year and Chreia/Maxim needs at least...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• rweston
    replied to Latin
    Just to jump in quickly to affirm the suggestions by Jessica and Dorinda... while working (well) through the Form series is best, if it is not an option due to hs credit issue, I too would suggest a Henle class. I think, as Jessica said, some students/families can accelerate FFL and do so successfully...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I may not have said impatient; I would say passionate. And zealous. And consistent. ;-)

One of our very best primary teachers at HLS is in the process of helping make some of the language in the Protestant supplement guides more child-friendly. We are getting close!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Unfortunately we do not have a date, yet. Most of the material is in the editing stage, though, which is promising!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X