Collapse
423 results in 0.0532 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• VAmom
    replied to Alternative writing options?
    Another idea is to use the writing directions and prompts from the Core Skills Language Arts books. The books are inexpensive to purchase, and the assignments are brief. They could be expanded, if you wanted. I don’t have the 4th or 5th grade one but in the 3rd and 6th grade books, Unit 5 is writing....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied to Combine or separate for Latin?
    I keep the kids in their own cores for the same reasons you mentioned. For us, this means keeping Latin separate. When they were younger it was more challenging for me, because everyone needed my attention to complete their work. I would often have one watch the dvd or listen to the cd, while I worked...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• When my eldest was in 3rd grade we had a few big things take place which resulted in a patchy second semester. Life happens, right?!? 🙃 When she began 4th grade we used the 4NU package, which includes LC in one year. It allowed us to review the two year pace subjects while solidifying study and work...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• When my eldest was in 3rd grade we had a few big things take place which resulted in a patchy second semester. Life happens, right?!? 🙃 When she began 4th grade we used the 4NU package, which includes LC in one year. It allowed us to review the two year pace subjects while solidifying study and work...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Considering our schedule, I knew we wouldn’t be able to complete Exploring Medicine by the end of the year. After reading this thread, I decided to leave the Exploring Medicine book on the living room end table for a while. Sure enough, my 6th grade brought it to the dinner table and was sharing...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied to Spelling/ Spelling Workout
    We also switched to R&S spelling for the same reasons as enbateau. It has been a better fit for us. I plan to continue with it for my second child....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• FWIW, my husband and I grew up with family near us, but that isn’t the case for my children. In the early years, we both had a difficult time reconciling our positive familial experiences as children with the very different experiences our children were having. We were sad they weren’t having the...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied to Organization
    You’ve gotten many wonderful suggestions. Since we are in the middle of the toddler’s “pull everything off the shelf” phase, the kids are keeping their daily school books in zippered backpacks. They are handy, portable and currently toddler proof. Once you figure out a system, you’ll have...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• My post needs approval. Hopefully it will get out of jail soon. 😜 If not, I will try to repost it....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• My replies are in italics below. 😊

While I'd love to do the core curriculum, I'm leaning toward piecing things together because in looking through the scope, I don't think I can pick a level that would fit across all subject areas for each of them.

Even if you have to make...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Welcome! I am sorry to hear that your plans for Challenge A and B have fallen through. It’s hard when we are having to make adjustments.

Like Enigma suggested, calling the MP reps is always a good idea. MP’s customer service is the best around. I’m sure they will be able to help you....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• The Core Skill books are essential. The book is relatively inexpensive. I get it each year to reinforce grammar concepts as needed. One of mine doesn’t need the reinforcement so Core Skills is one of the first things to be dropped. A different child needs more practice so we usually go over the assigned...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have no tips for keeping all the balls in the air. Something is always crashing around here…literally and figuratively. However I do think the literature guides are worthwhile. iIf it means fewer books in the year, then know you did fewer things well.
    I, too, have voracious readers...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied to Summer phonics?
    You have gotten lots of great suggestions! I just wanted to add that my eldest was exiting kindergarten/ entering first grade the coming fall when FSR E was released. We did FSR E over the summer and it was more than she or I wanted to commit to it. It was hard to dedicate that amount of time consistently...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied to Teaching Cursive
    Here are some links that might help. The first one is an article by Ms. Lowe. The entire article is wonderful, but about halfway through the article she begins to talk about cursive. The second is a YouTube video where Iris Hatfield, the creator of the cursive program, speaks about the program. The...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X