No announcement yet.

Search Result

Collapse
48 results in 0.0084 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Switch to SC 5&6 or stick with MP 3A plans?

My daughter is 8 (turns 9 in May) and is technically in 3rd grade, but we are still working through MP 2 (with Traditional Spelling 1). She doesn't have any diagnosed learning disabilities, but was a late reader (finally clicked last year and she's now easily on par with her peers), struggles with...
    See more | Go to post

• Writing is hard for her. Last year was spent mostly working on a correct pencil grip. This year she is doing much better, but when she gets tired she slips back to that weird grip she had. I have noticed that she doesn't complain about cursive practice as much (other than that pesky lower case k)...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Yes, it’s the copying/writing that throws her over the edge. So really, I think our biggest crux is the physical aspect of writing. ?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks for the info! She has finished FSRE and is in week 8 of Traditional Spelling I. Reading is Week 24 and Math Week 30. Her biggest hang-up is with writing (penmanship and composition). Last year was spent mostly on focusing on pencil grip since she had a really weird way of holding her pen. Neatness...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• tkmaples
    started a topic 2nd Grade Core or SImply Classical

2nd Grade Core or SImply Classical

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

I am trying to decide if I should use 2nd grade core or a SImply Classical with my daughter next school year. She is an almost 8 year old and we are nearing completion of 1st core in most areas. It’s been a bit of slow going as she didn’t start independently...
    See more | Go to post

• tkmaples
    replied to Prerequisite for Algebra II
    Thanks for the feedback! I know my son won't willingly sign up for an extra test and I think he will handle Algebra II just fine, especially after a summer Alg I review. I shall now go forth and do more planning!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• tkmaples
    started a topic Prerequisite for Algebra II

Prerequisite for Algebra II

If my son completed Albegra 1 with another curriculum, but is going to take the MPOA Algebra 1 summer review, will he still need to take a placement test for Algebra II?...
    See more | Go to post

• Ooh, I'm sitting on my hands and eagerly awaiting the finalized MPOA schedule! After talking with Scott Piland and discussing with my son...he wants to go full Latin throttle. He wants to take a full SFL (if offered, please say yes, or else I'm back to the drawing board with him) during the summer,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Thanks everyone for the input. After reading the comments and discussing with my children, my daughter will stay her current course. I will give a call to chat about my son a bit more. He is interested in the different options that might allow him to move ahead without repeating material he already...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Oh, Latin! What class should my children take next year?

I have two children who are taking First Form Latin through MPOA this year. My son (10th grade) and my daughter (8th grade) had minimum exposure to Latin a couple of years ago when we attempted FFL at home. For various reasons we dropped the Latin ball and it didn't get picked up again until this year...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: Online classes on a homeschool transcript

Hi! As far as I know you can record the online class however you deem best. I'm not there yet, but my friends who have made their homeschool transcripts just listed the course title and grade. One parent changed the grade based on additional...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• tkmaples
    replied to Math - help - please!
    Re: Math - help - please!

Thank you everyone for the input and advise. I have decided that I'm going to purchased the R&S Math 6 and go from there. I absolutely agree that I want her to understand math vs checking of boxes. I can't say that my daughter is thrilled (she would rather...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• tkmaples
    started a topic Math - help - please!

Math - help - please!

I have an 8th grader with a strong aversion to math and is struggling. So much so, that this year I did not move her forward into pre-algebra. She knows her multiplication facts, weak with division, and just guessing when it comes to fractions and decimals.

In the past we have briefly...
    See more | Go to post

• tkmaples
    replied to Art instruction?
    Re: Art instruction?

Another consideration is the art courses taught by Alisha Gratehouse. She has several different courses from drawing, watercolor, acrylics, mixed media with masters, etc. Lots of choices and my daughter (and myself) have enjoyed everything we have done so far. ...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• tkmaples
    started a topic Poetry and broken things

Poetry and broken things

A crack, a break, a line of despair
    A mother mourns - no way to repair
    Creamy white ivory rimmed in red
    The coffee cup is now dead

I may have cried (just a little) about my broken coffee cup that has brought me caffeinated happiness every morning for the...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X