Collapse
33 results in 0.0105 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• Re: MPOA Writing placement for 8th grader coming from different program

Thanks, that is helpful.

I think my concern is that I don't want him to be the oldest kid, or to feel that the class is "below" him (a frequent complaint he has about grammar curricula I've...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• MPOA Writing placement for 8th grader coming from different program

My 8th grader has been doing WTMA's Writing With Skill program for the past two years but really has disliked the book excepts and short stories that they have used.

I'm considering moving him toward's MP's curriculum in general and am therefore looking into the MPOA writing classes....
    See more | Go to post

• Re: midyear start with 13-year-old

Yes, though it has become scrawly as I have not prioritized handwriting. He strongly prefers typing.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: midyear start with 13-year-old

OK, I think I'll pick a few things to do. We'll skip composition and literature since those are (more than) covered. We'll ditch our current history/geography/science/etc that are driving him crazy.

We'll do FF Latin as a ramp up to Latin...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• EmilyGF
    started a topic midyear start with 13-year-old

midyear start with 13-year-old

I've been posting off and on before, but I'm seeing that we need to make changes sooner, rather than later.

So, we are finishing our second trimester with our current curriculum and it is such a bad fit for my 7th grader. I need to make changes *now*, not next year (I don't like changing...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: making 3rd quarter 7th/6th grade changes

The idea of all of us reading this together in one lesson is very enticing!...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• making 3rd quarter 7th/6th grade changes

I'm thinking of coming to MP, at least for my rising 8th grader, next year.

I'm planning our third trimester right now. I'm thinking about whether I should make any changes to smooth the transition. Here's what I'm thinking for my dd11 and ds13:

1) History: We're using...
    See more | Go to post

• EmilyGF
    replied to coming in at year 8
    Re: coming in at year 8

Oh, that makes sense.

What do you think about WWS/CC? Should we stay the course? Or go back to CC Fable? I've asked him about it and he doesn't like the stories and excerpts in WWS, though he acknowledges he has learned a lot.

I talked...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• EmilyGF
    replied to coming in at year 8
    Re: coming in at year 8

So, would he need to do the entire Geography I-III sequence, or is there a reasonable way to start part of the way through it?

Is Geography the recommended 8th grade modern study?

Thanks,
    Emily
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• EmilyGF
    started a topic coming in at year 8

coming in at year 8

I'm refining thoughts for my rising 8th grader who is strong in math, science, logical thinking, and music.

Goals for me are a more streamlined schedule, better time together (using the guides effectively - our current curriculum discourages literature guides), more ownership for him...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: starting late... without latin?

Five kids (13, 11, 9, 6, and 2).

13-year-old plays elite piano.

9-year-old is an Executive Function Rock Star violin player.

6-year-old is gifted and with more energy than I've ever had. Would have been...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Alright, I'm still thinking through things...

Does anyone do Latin with English grammar only as needed? (This kid is bored to tears by Analytical Grammar, which was what I'd chosen for this year, as it just comes so easily for him.) He...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

First, he learned German from immersion for about a year or two (ages 4-6), then limited immersion (6-8) that lead to receptive understanding but not spoken language. Now he does spoken German lessons with me and does computer-based...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Yeah, he's be the perfect candidate for Latin, but I need to simplify his life. So, studying Latin would be up to him, but dropping German is not an option (he can almost read books!). He'll probably be doing German grammar in German next year. If he...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• EmilyGF
    started a topic starting late... without latin?

starting late... without latin?

This may be a crazy question for this board, but I'm going to throw it out there anyways.

I have a rising 8th grader who is (1) math-y, (2) musical, (3) science-y, (4) a slow reader, (5) stressed out. I need to simplify somehow for both of our sanities.

What about using...
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X