• Amy
    replied to 1st grade - Week 12 question
    Thanks, Tanya!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    started a topic 1st grade - Week 12 question

1st grade - Week 12 question

For week 12 of the first grade curriculum, for "Reading", it says Student Read Aloud "Winter on the Farm". There is no work associated with this reading, right? It is like this for several weeks but there is no "Storytime Treasures" work to go with it.

Also,...
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    started a topic Continents and Oceans

Continents and Oceans

I was wondering if HLS formally taught their students in 1st or 2nd grade how to locate all the continents and oceans on a world map? I don't think that is in the lesson plans except casually as an enrichment activity. I want to know if I should make certain that my 1st grader can do that by year's...
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    started a topic Help for learning Spelling Words

Help for learning Spelling Words

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides what is in the back of the lesson plan book) for how to help your child master Spelling words? My first grader does okay but on tests even after practicing during the week, he gets about a third wrong. Any help would be appreciated!
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    started a topic More subjects put to video

More subjects put to video

I was wondering if there were any future plans to put any subjects of the younger grades to video (1st-3rd)?

I have a 3rd and 1st grader, and we use all MP. I also have two preschool aged children. Its just difficult to teach them, drill them on information they need to have memorized...
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    started a topic Timeline

Timeline

My son is doing 3rd grade core but is doing Famous Men of Rome (not Greek Myths). I bought the timeline to use in homeschool. Can someone give me tips in how to use the timeline cards? Should I just be putting up the timeline cards on the wall when I come across the events in my Christian Studies or...
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    started a topic 3rd Grade Spelling Question

3rd Grade Spelling Question

I'm in week 1 of 3rd grade. For Spelling, it says "Read, Think, and Summarize-Lesson 1". I've looked and can't find what to do for this exercise....?

Can someone help me?

Thanks.
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    replied to Read Alouds 3rd Grade
    I spoke with Cheryl Lowe's son at a homeschool conference this past spring about that exact question. He pretty much said if the student can and wants to read them in their spare time, they can certainly do that. However, if you want to read aloud the books to them (b/c they are too hard for the student...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    started a topic Reading Aloud to a 3rd Grader

Reading Aloud to a 3rd Grader

I have the lesson plans for 3rd grade, and there is a recommended schedule for the teacher with the different subjects. I don't see any slot of time given to do the "read aloud" book to the student. Are 3rd graders at HLS read to using the "read aloud" books in the lesson plans?
    See more | Go to post

• Amy
    replied to States and Capitals question
    Ok, Tanya, so I don't need to have my son add / label additional cities, rivers, landmarks, or national parks to the big state map on each state page?

As long as we are adding the state flower, bird, or other fun facts to their page, that is sufficient?

Thanks.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    started a topic States and Capitals question

States and Capitals question

I'm still sorting through all my 3rd grade stuff. This may be a dumb question but I wanted to doublecheck.

For the State Lessons for "Map Work", it says the "teacher directs the students in marking famous cities or landmarks".... use colored pencils....encourage neatness...
    See more | Go to post

• I would really be interested in that! And I've thought about doing the recording myself!
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    replied to First Start Reading - Book D
    Thanks, ladies.

Yes, I know you Blair How are your twins?? I'm going to go ahead and work through some of it before we start 1st grade next week....
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    I just checked and my edition is 2009 also. However, since Book D is included in the curriculum core package, there needs to be instructions on when to use it in the lesson plans.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Amy
    I bought my lesson plans in April of 2012 and Book D isn't mentioned anywhere in the lesson plans. I looked specifically around weeks 27 - on, where Book C ends, and it never mentioned Book D anywhere the rest of the year. I'm sure this is a typo/error because I asked my friend who did Kindergarten...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X