Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of streaming subscription renewals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cost of streaming subscription renewals

    How much does it cost to renew subscriptions for streaming Latin lessons? I have 3 children who will be doing them one year after the other for several years, grades 3, 4, and 6.

    #2
    Re: Cost of streaming subscription renewals

    Originally posted by kstarlight View Post
    How much does it cost to renew subscriptions for streaming Latin lessons? I have 3 children who will be doing them one year after the other for several years, grades 3, 4, and 6.
    Video subscriptions may be renewed for 50% off the original price. Thus, in your situation, physical DVDs would be more cost-effective. Here's an FAQ from our catalog that may help:

    Streaming vs. DVDs: Which one should I choose?
    If you have multiple children who will need to watch the videos in the coming school years, or if you just know you'll want to rewatch the Aeneid lessons again and again, or if you just like the way your Memoria Press DVD collection looks on the shelf—stick with the DVDs.

    If you don't have a DVD player but still want the help of Memoria Press' master teachers, or if you only have one school-age child, or if you take a minimalist approach to your bookshelves—streaming might be a great fit for you.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

    Comment


      #3
      Some computers (like the later MacBooks) don't include DVD drives. I know I can purchase an external drive, but are there any plans to make these lessons downloadable so that they can be stored on a thumb drive? Or has anyone tried ripping them to their hard drive? Or is that prohibited?
      Melissa

      DS (MP2) - 8
      DS (MP1) - 7
      DS (K) - 5
      DD (Adorable distraction) 2

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by MBentley View Post
        Some computers (like the later MacBooks) don't include DVD drives. I know I can purchase an external drive, but are there any plans to make these lessons downloadable so that they can be stored on a thumb drive? Or has anyone tried ripping them to their hard drive? Or is that prohibited?
        An aside: I got myself a USB SuperDrive for my Mac laptop & desktop. I decided it was a must for educational purposes. It stays hooked up to the desktop on my desk but I can take it with me if needed. It's paid for itself over and over with homeschool things times 4 kids.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

        2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
        Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
        DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
        www.nashvillelatinschool.com

        Comment


          #5
          I may look into that! I am just envisioning a future with a lot of DVD classes for Latin/other. Right now we are watching the DVD over breakfast a few times a week so that I get a good dose of it too. Next year, I'll have 2 different ones going. I'm just thinking ahead to when there are more one on one DVD sessions between the kids. Does everyone need a laptop at that point? Just wondering how everyone else with large families and multiple cores does it. I don't know how much use I will get out of MPOA for my oldest as we have to work a little differently through the material.
          Melissa

          DS (MP2) - 8
          DS (MP1) - 7
          DS (K) - 5
          DD (Adorable distraction) 2

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MBentley View Post
            Some computers (like the later MacBooks) don't include DVD drives. I know I can purchase an external drive, but are there any plans to make these lessons downloadable so that they can be stored on a thumb drive? Or has anyone tried ripping them to their hard drive? Or is that prohibited?
            Good morning Melissa,

            Currently our instructional videos are only available as physical DVDs and online streaming. However, we are open to the possibility of making at least some of our videos available via an encoded usb flashdrive. The most likely candidates would be our longer videos such as Algebra I and Biology. Again, we don't have final decision yet, but flashdrives are certainly still on the table.

            HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

            Comment


              #7
              I have two questions for Michael.

              1) Do the DVD's and streaming videos have the same content (same exact teacher/video) or are they sometimes different?

              2) Would you say that having the most up to date materials would be a benefit to choosing a streaming subscription over keeping DVD's for students several years apart in age?

              JenNicole

              DD - 8th
              DD - 6th

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JenNicole View Post
                I have two questions for Michael.

                1) Do the DVD's and streaming videos have the same content (same exact teacher/video) or are they sometimes different?

                2) Would you say that having the most up to date materials would be a benefit to choosing a streaming subscription over keeping DVD's for students several years apart in age?

                JenNicole

                DD - 8th
                DD - 6th
                Good afternoon JenNicole,

                1) The content is the same, e.g. the Latina Christiana, Fourth Edition streaming videos are identical to the Latina Christiana, Fourth Edition DVDs.

                2) If your children of various ages who will all need to use the videos at some point, the physical DVDs are more cost-effective in that scenario.

                HTH!
                Michael
                Memoria Press

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                  Some computers (like the later MacBooks) don't include DVD drives. I know I can purchase an external drive, but are there any plans to make these lessons downloadable so that they can be stored on a thumb drive? Or has anyone tried ripping them to their hard drive? Or is that prohibited?
                  While you asked a very good and fair question, it is a legal can of worms. The short answer is that anything with digital rights management on it (copy protection) cannot be copied under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As the law stands, bypassing DRM is a crime. However, 17 U.S. Code § 107 under fair use does allow some exceptions for education. But that’s just the tip of the legal iceberg! This is a highly debated topic in courts. When I was coming up in the 90s, the rule was that you could make a copy of an item as a backup if you also kept the original. That made sense to everyone. An example of this is that my wedding video was made on VHS, but I copied it to digital as a backup in case the VHS tape breaks. Granted the fact that I own the rights to my video changes the scenario, but you see my point.

                  What many families are doing now is making a digital copy in good faith. What I mean by that is paying full price for whatever DVD it may be, copying the DVD to the computer so it can be watched on the iPad/iPhone/tablet, etc., but then keeping and not selling the DVD. The idea is that the video publisher gets their money, and you are not in any way taking revenue from the publisher by giving away their programs. Those people believe that not sharing the digital copy with anyone means that they are not violating the spirit of the law. It's a sticky subject, as you can see. Whatever anyone decides, the most important thing is that we continue to support MP and other publishers by buying their materials and not sharing a digital copy (which is not at all what you were suggesting, I just feel I have to say that to make sure MP knows what side I’m on )
                  DS 7
                  DD 4
                  DD 1
                  DBITO - due this Summer!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Dave M View Post

                    While you asked a very good and fair question, it is a legal can of worms. The short answer is that anything with digital rights management on it (copy protection) cannot be copied under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As the law stands, bypassing DRM is a crime. However, 17 U.S. Code § 107 under fair use does allow some exceptions for education. But that’s just the tip of the legal iceberg! This is a highly debated topic in courts. When I was coming up in the 90s, the rule was that you could make a copy of an item as a backup if you also kept the original. That made sense to everyone. An example of this is that my wedding video was made on VHS, but I copied it to digital as a backup in case the VHS tape breaks. Granted the fact that I own the rights to my video changes the scenario, but you see my point.

                    What many families are doing now is making a digital copy in good faith. What I mean by that is paying full price for whatever DVD it may be, copying the DVD to the computer so it can be watched on the iPad/iPhone/tablet, etc., but then keeping and not selling the DVD. The idea is that the video publisher gets their money, and you are not in any way taking revenue from the publisher by giving away their programs. Those people believe that not sharing the digital copy with anyone means that they are not violating the spirit of the law. It's a sticky subject, as you can see. Whatever anyone decides, the most important thing is that we continue to support MP and other publishers by buying their materials and not sharing a digital copy (which is not at all what you were suggesting, I just feel I have to say that to make sure MP knows what side I’m on )
                    Hey there Dave!!

                    I'm only 40, but I'm really missing the simple days more and more. Technology is unfortunately changing - rapidly. I'm not even going to say "evolving" because I can't say that it's getting better. Macs don't even come with DVD/CD drives anymore and while I was looking at getting an external one, the reviews were "iffy". Remember the cameras that allowed you to write directly to a mini-DVD? Those went through their whole technological life cycle in less than 2 years. Even USB devices are undergoing some major changes and I won't be surprised if we start "losing" USB ports soon. I can't say that my own purchase habits aren't part of the problem. We purchase all movies direct from Amazon now because I can stream them to anything and kids can't scratch the DVDs or "forget" to put them back in their cases.

                    Actually....now that's a thought. How hard would it be for Memoria Press to place them on Amazon for sale in an "episodic" style (1 chapter per episode) Tv Show? Then, they wouldn't have to host the streaming bandwidth. It would play on literally everything so no App/format/update issues. Everyone would purchase through Amazon and the licensing would be covered. MP would get the financial credit. Besides, I would truly pay an uncharge to have them on that kind of system since it would be digitized content. The only thing you would lose then would be the ability to print the slides but that isn't much more than a powerpoint program. Amazon might even give MP a financial break since it is for school content.

                    Just brainstorming.

                    Melissa
                    Last edited by MBentley; 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM.
                    Melissa

                    DS (MP2) - 8
                    DS (MP1) - 7
                    DS (K) - 5
                    DD (Adorable distraction) 2

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MBentley View Post

                      Hey there Dave!!

                      I'm only 40, but I'm really missing the simple days more and more. Technology is unfortunately changing - rapidly. I'm not even going to say "evolving" because I can't say that it's getting better. Macs don't even come with DVD/CD drives anymore and while I was looking at getting an external one, the reviews were "iffy". Remember the cameras that allowed you to write directly to a mini-DVD? Those went through their whole technological life cycle in less than 2 years. Even USB devices are undergoing some major changes and I won't be surprised if we start "losing" USB ports soon. I can't say that my own purchase habits aren't part of the problem. We purchase all movies direct from Amazon now because I can stream them to anything and kids can't scratch the DVDs or "forget" to put them back in their cases.

                      Actually....now that's a thought. How hard would it be for Memoria Press to place them on Amazon for sale in an "episodic" style (1 chapter per episode) Tv Show? Then, they wouldn't have to host the streaming bandwidth. It would play on literally everything so no App/format/update issues. Everyone would purchase through Amazon and the licensing would be covered. MP would get the financial credit. Besides, I would truly pay an uncharge to have them on that kind of system since it would be digitized content. The only thing you would lose then would be the ability to print the slides but that isn't much more than a powerpoint program. Amazon might even give MP a financial break since it is for school content.

                      Just brainstorming.

                      Melissa
                      I'd be interested in that too. Streaming is great for a lot of things, but the downloadable onto a universal app like amazon means I can turn the internet OFF and still let the kids watch what they need to. We never did figure out how the 1 year old got the passcode to unlock the iPhone! And the mini-DVD came and went before I could jump on it. I think the closest we could even come to "piracy" back then was sitting by the Boom Box waiting for a certain song to come on the radio so we could make a custom mix tape for our friends! Ahh the good old days
                      DS 7
                      DD 4
                      DD 1
                      DBITO - due this Summer!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hi Dave and Melissa,

                        Thanks for the suggestion of looking into Amazon video. We will have to look into it and see if it makes sense for us.

                        Paul
                        Paul Schaeffer
                        --
                        Director, Schools Division
                        Memoria Press

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I would LOVE this! Streaming on amazon would give me so many more options to view this.
                          Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                          2018-2019
                          DS 12, 6th Grade---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Kolbe Physical Science, Speech Team
                          DD 10, 5th Grade---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
                          DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math
                          (Now we will watch as I start subtracting subjects off my signature. ha!)

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X