Keyboarding recommendations needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboarding recommendations needed

Since my son will be participating in the MP Online Academy, I'd like to start getting him prepared over the summer with a "learn to type" program of some sort.

Any recommendations? This is something I've never looked at before, so I'm clueless as to what is out there. He is middle school age, and currently hunts and pecks.
    Last edited by Lemonade; 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM.

My 2nd and 4th graders used Keyboarding without Tears this past school year. They have really enjoyed it and I think it's been effective. It's very age-appropriate and interesting. It has lots of different activities. We plan to continue it next year.
    Eight kids ages 16 - infant, +Rosamaria+
    Cores for 2016/17 - some 10M, most of 8M, 6M, 4A

"Our hearts are restless until they rest in Him."

Comment

Years ago my middle school aged children used Mavis Beacon. It was a neat program. Don't even know if it is still around though!

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

The Keyboarding Without Tears advertises it is K-5, so that wouldn't be best for a rising 7th grader. I looked at Mavis, but couldn't get a sense of how it works. There are so many Mavis Beacon products on Amazon that it confused me.

Comment

Mavis Beacon was what I used to learn how to type (and afterwards it just required discipline to continue typing properly whenever I was using a computer). They have released several versions since I used it, but from the reviews it sounds like it really hasn't changed--they just continue to update it for the new operating systems. I would consider the newest one to avoid possible compatibility conflicts: http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Teaches-Typing-Deluxe-Download/dp/B00Q58W108/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429619208&sr=8-3&keywords=mavis+beacon

As I was googling around on this issue, I found this cool free online typing course: http://www.typingclub.com/ Honestly, as long as it holds your child's attention, any program will work fine. After all, can you go wrong with something that is free? The main thing is that they learn where the keys are then they use them consistently whether they are practicing with a program or not.

Hopefully that gives you some things to think about,
          Paul
          Paul Schaeffer
          --
          Director, Schools Division
          Memoria Press

Comment

You could also try the library...they usually have options for all ages. We had a fun one we used when my oldest was younger. It was some sort of adventure themed game, but she got the gist of typing!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 7.5
            DD, 5.5
            +DS+
            DS, 18 months

Comment

I found a discount for Type2Learn on Homechool Buyer's Coop, so I gave it a try. A rising 7th grader might find it too childish, because you have to finish assignments sort of like spy missions, but I make her and the 9 year old do it anyway. My 7 year old really likes it, much more so than keyboarding without tears.
              Michelle
              Michelle

2017-2018
              9th grade MPOA diploma program
              7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
              4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
              2nd grade MP core
              3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
              Veritas et Fides

Comment

Re: Keyboarding recommendations needed

Piggybacking on this old thread, since Courtney and Tanya brought it up.

How much keyboarding/typing is required in the MPOA? I have Rachel signed up for the FFL review class in July. Trying to figure out how much time I should dedicate to teaching her typing. (coming from a momma who never learned typing, but just taught myself along the way)
                Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Re: Keyboarding recommendations needed

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  Since my son will be participating in the MP Online Academy, I'd like to start getting him prepared over the summer with a "learn to type" program of some sort.

Any recommendations? This is something I've never looked at before, so I'm clueless as to what is out there. He is middle school age, and currently hunts and pecks.
                  Thank you for the question! There isn't a whole lot of typing in the class, other than endings, vocab words, and some translations. We typically recommend typing games that you can find online. I have heard of Mavis but have never used it. We try to use mics as well in the class, and typically in these classes the typing is minimal. The one resource I have heard about from parents (more than once) in the Online Academy is this book, which seems straightforward and without a ton of fluff or cost. It might be worth a try.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
                  Director
                  Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
                  X