Trouble with Adobe Connect app

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with Adobe Connect app

Hello everyone. I have two kids enrolled in MPOA classes: they shared one laptop for a Science class last year, and the teacher was great at working with that. Then we bought a Chromebook so they could log in and work in class separately. They're doing the Grammar Camp right now: for the first lesson my child was able to log into the meeting through a Chrome tab, which then opened Connect. The last time right-clicking on the "Enter the classroom now" didn't open a tab with the log in, but a tab telling us we needed to use the Adobe Connect app. I thought, ok, let's see. It turns out the app is pretty awful: to post something in the chat box, my son had to switch view and click in the text box every single time, then switch back to the general view. But the worst was that he could not see his writing pod: he saw the list of the other students in class, and by clicking on a name the text in the student's writing pod would appear, but his name was not in the list, and there seemed to be no scrolling available. Then the video stream disappeared (not the audio though), then the whole thing froze, and I had to restart the Chromebook. All the while, his sister on the laptop had no problems at all.
    Who has some experience with the app that can offer some advice? Is it possible to bypass the use of the Connect app on a Chromebook? Right now I'm bitterly regretting buying one instead of another laptop...
    Thank you!

Hello!

Sorry you've been having trouble. The trouble is with the Google Chromebook. Chromebooks normally work fine but are not officially supported by Adobe Connect, which is why we don't recommend them. This is because the operating system is non-standard (i.e. it is not Windows or Mac). You might be able to block your pop-up windows and force it to open in the tab. This should change pretty soon though. Adobe is migrating away from Flash technology to HTML 5 (the new standard). I will contact Adobe and see when the new standard will be implemented more widely. It shouldn't be too long now.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you, Scott! What I didn't understand was how things could be different one week to the next, with nothing changed in the settings... Are you saying that with the new standard we will not (should not...) have problems on the Chromebook? Because we were so tempted to eat the loss and buy a laptop, but if there is light at the end of the tunnel, we'd bide our time. They'll do MS Science II and Classical Studies I in the fall, so not nearly writing-intensive classes as the Grammar Camp.

Comment

One more question: would I have better luck going through Brave rather than Chrome (still on the Chromebook)? Or not really any difference, since a Chromebook is a Chromebook no matter the browser one uses? Thanks!

Comment

A possible breakthrough: here https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connec...er-issues.html it says at the end:

If the Adobe Connect meeting still does not open in the browser, append ?launcher=false at the end of the meeting URL. For example, if your meeting URL is "meetingroom.example.com", then open "meetingroom.example.com/?launcher=false".

I tried to do this in Chrome, and it seemed to work! I was able to see the Week 2 class of the Grammar Camp inside Chrome. So, we just have to add that instruction to the address of any live or recorded Connect meeting.
          I'm starting to think that it's actually an interaction I'm not understanding exactly between Chrome and Brave that is causing the problem: I think I will have to uninstall Brave even though it's my browser of choice. It remains true that, even with Brave installed, we had had no trouble before this week.

Comment

Hi Mrs. Bee,

I do have to talk to Adobe a little bit more about this and clarify. I've seen it do some wonky things with Chromebooks from week-to-week; but then some folks have no problem. I would not use Brave. That also is a non-standard browser that doesn't have a ton of support. What that means is that (1) it might work, and (2) if it doesn't Adobe won't help me with my questions about it. I did see that forum post and have it archived in possible fixes.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
            Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Today's Grammar class just ended, and I just wanted to confirm that fix did work. So, for future reference, and until there's a new standard for Adobe, on a Chromebook that is giving people trouble, this worked for us:

- allowing Flash in Chrome by clicking on the little lock image in the address bar
              - copying the class address (usually memoriapress.adobeconnect.com/nameofclass/: just right-click over "Click here to enter the live Adobe classroom" and choose to copy the link) in a new Chrome tab, and manually add to it ?launcher=false, no quote marks, nothing

Yeah, Brave is not going to work for this.

Comment

Working...
              X