Pre-Conference question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Conference question

Trying to decide if I will register for Sodalitas, the teacher training, or both. (I'll be doing the Virtual option.) How does the teacher training pre-conference work? Is that open to homeschoolers? I didn't see an option to register for that on the registration form.

Thanks!

I like to think about it as a week long event, to keep it all straight in my head.

Monday and Tuesday is the Sodalitas Gathering, which is designed specifically for homeschooling parents using MP. The sessions will be homeschooling specific.

The pre conference tracks on Wednesday are full day intensives, designed to prepare a classroom teacher to teach that material in a classroom setting. Homeschool parents are welcome, but the focus is on teaching the material in a classroom full of children.

(Caveat -- there are usually some sessions that are teacher enrichment as well. I haven't looked at the schedule yet.)

Thursday and Friday are the Teacher Training days, again, designed for preparing classroom teachers to teach the material to a room full of students.

I attend the Teacher Training every year and I find it invaluable. Seeing how the material is designed to be taught helps it to click in my head and I can see how it needs to be tweaked to fit our family.

HOWEVER.....

I want to caution parents about looking at HLS as a model, because I think it can very easily slide into an ideal versus idol situation.

HLS is absolutely an institution of excellence, filled with amazing teachers. But homeschooling is very different. Each day, we are juggling a million different things as we teach and parent our brood.

Your homeschool is unique, just like your family. I think in striving to make it look just like a classroom model, you may lose some of the beauty.
    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

That's such a good distinction, Dianna! I've recently been thinking about how homeschooling and classroom usage of MP share a genus, but they are different species. And there's even wide variety between classroom settings: full time school, part time school/hybrid, cottage school, tutorial, co-op. Whereas a parent educator at home has a lot specific concerns that never show up in an outside setting. That's a huge spectrum!

I always learn so much from hearing about MP in the settings that are unlike mine because I have different eyes to see it in use there. It's like shifting a prism in the light. From Monday to Friday, I enjoy watching the prism twist and reflect the beautiful light different directions. And I come home enriched, educated, and encouraged.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
      DS Hillsdale College freshman
      DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
      DD 8th • HLN & Home
      DS 5th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Back out of the clouds... Back to logistics.
        Last I saw here, the pre-conference day was not going to be offered virtually, or that was still a pending decision. Perhaps someone official can comment on that?
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
        DS Hillsdale College freshman
        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
        DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

That is correct that we won't be offering the pre-conference virtually. Logistically, while those are going on, we are having to switch all our electronics to teacher training classrooms.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
          X