Advantages of being an official Cottage School?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meginiowa
    • Oct 2017

Advantages of being an official Cottage School?

I suddenly find myself teaching four additional children this year. My MP children are Simply Classical A, Junior K, First, Third, and Fifth. This is four days a week, with the fifth being an enrichment day. I have two assistants, one a mum and one my specials-needs guy's helper. I also teach two Logic and three Latin (2FF, 1 TF) to an entirely different set of kids, including one with none who are mine in it. Does this make me insane, yes, but does it make me a cottage school as well? My core students only number eight, too small? My other classes total 13 kids, with one being in the first group. Should I seek recognition as a cottage school? Can I still use my house, which has classrooms, or must I go outside? What advantages do I have for recognition and what must I comply with for same? Is this written somewhere so I don't have to bother you all?
  • Michael
    • Feb 2012

Re: Advantages of being an official Cottage School?

Originally posted by Meginiowa
    I suddenly find myself teaching four additional children this year. My MP children are Simply Classical A, Junior K, First, Third, and Fifth. This is four days a week, with the fifth being an enrichment day. I have two assistants, one a mum and one my specials-needs guy's helper. I also teach two Logic and three Latin (2FF, 1 TF) to an entirely different set of kids, including one with none who are mine in it. Does this make me insane, yes, but does it make me a cottage school as well? My core students only number eight, too small? My other classes total 13 kids, with one being in the first group. Should I seek recognition as a cottage school? Can I still use my house, which has classrooms, or must I go outside? What advantages do I have for recognition and what must I comply with for same? Is this written somewhere so I don't have to bother you all?
    Good evening,

Not a bother at all. I have moved your thread to our Cottage School subforum and you will hopefully hear from our cottage school director early next week. Until then, I hope some of our members who run and attend HLS Cottage Schools will share as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

• pickandgrin
      • Jun 2012

Re: Advantages of being an official Cottage School?

Hey there MeginIowa!
      I think one if the best reasons to become an HLS cottage school is trajectory. By doing so, you are firmly connecting yourself to the MP curriculum and stating which direction you plan to head to your students/families. That extra layer of accountability helps parents know where their children are headed and takes a measure of responsibility off you: these are not Meg's ideas (even if they are), these are things that are important for cottage school identity. Examples would be being Latin language centric, classroom decorum (even in your home), cursive, memorization, etc.

A question: It sounds like you have a thriving group there, but are across many different ages and topics. Would you like to grow or would you like to continue serving your current families on a mega-tutor basis like you are now?

Great to hear from you!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

'23-'24 • 14th year HSing • 12th year MP
      DS Hillsdale '26, English Major/Classics Minor
      DD 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE, Hillsdale '28
      DD 9th • HLN, Latin online, & Home
      DS 6th • HLN & Home
      Me • Lukeion Latin 3 online

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

"Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and underestimate what they can accomplish in five." -Mrs. Cheryl Lowe

Comment

Working...