Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AngelaM
    replied
    Thank you, Beorn, and Shane, for these helpful replies. I apologize for taking so long to respond. I’ve been thinking and praying a lot about what to do.

I recently had my second oral surgery in the past year, and these have thrown us off with our schooling. I would absolutely love to have a cottage school, or at least an MP group for my kids, but I think, realistically, my leading anything of the sort would work better for all, if I give myself time to fully recover, and get my own family back into a good routine first. I am going to put thoughts of this on hold until January, and reassess then.

In the meantime, we are going to try a co-op through our church. I’m not sure we will use any MP materials there, but so far, the class options look like they will fit nicely with our curriculum.

Leave a comment:

• Shane S
    replied
    Hey Angela,

I'm sorry I missed the initial post as well! But, of course, I agree with all of Beorn's advice. And think that almost every successful cottage school has started small with expectant hope that God can work through faithful and earnest efforts. Feel free to give me a call anytime at 502-855-4824 if you want to talk about other advice I have for start-ups!

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    I am sorry that you didn't get much of a reply when you first posted. The building community talk was great and hopefully there is much encouragement there for you. Check through the Sodalitas video archives for other videos, it really is a gold mine. Read the articles from The Classical Teacher and The Classical School.

Start small with even just a few families who have kids in the same grade if you can find them. Start a Latin class or go through a Lit guide for a favorite book. Mrs. Lowe started in a church, and many other groups have as well. Reach out to your local churches to see if they would be willing to let a small group meet in a room once or twice a week. Keep praying about it. Lots of options and great ways to start.

I am no help to you when it comes to NY law, but yes, if you are looking outside of the box, there is Louisville and a few other hubs and the weather is nicer too! May God bless you.
    Last edited by Beorn; 08-14-2022, 12:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AngelaM
    replied
    I am replying to myself to share that I’m still hoping to make something a reality someday, ideally in the not too far future. This is not easy in our area, but after watching the sodalitas talk on building community, I’m feeling more inspired. I also let my fifth grader watch the video on the HLS website, and now she wants us to move to Louisville so she could go to the cottage school. Her little eyes lit up when I told her there are cottage schools all over. I am going to start by continuing to look for interested families, and location possibilities. A cottage school might be out of reach for us right now, but I think a co-op using solely MP would at least be a good start.

Leave a comment:

• AngelaM
    started a topic More questions about getting started

More questions about getting started

I posted this in the MP Facebook group, and as suggested, am posting here as well. I will add, we are in NY state, which is pretty strict as far as regulations. I’d love a cottage school, but I’m not sure it would even be allowed here? A co-op using MP might be my only option. My biggest struggles right now are, finding interested families, the financial aspects, and finding a space. I do have a possible option for a small group, but not big enough for an actual cottage school type setting. All that said, here’s my original question: Please share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences: Would it be absolutely crazy to pursue starting some sort of community, co-op, or my dream would be a cottage school, in spite of the fact that there doesn’t seem to be much, if any interest in our area? I’ve felt for awhile that something like this would be good for my children. I am seriously considering pursuing this, but wonder if perhaps I should first keep looking for at least one other interested family?
Working...
X