Business model questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business model questions

I have a friend considering joining a HLS. She and I have both recently exited a different classical program in part because of concerns about the business model, which resulted mostly in for-profit programs running their businesses in property-tax-exempt churches.

Can anyone explain the business model of HLS to me? Do most HLS operate as for-profit or nonprofit schools? Are individuals or organizations licensed by Memoria Press? Or does it operate as a franchise? How much control does Memoria Press hold over those who run a HLS and how they do it?

Thank you! My friend likes MP very much, as do I, but she is uneasy about possibly getting caught up in a similar situation as that from which we both came.
    2020-2021 Eighth year homeschooling, first year using MP cores!
    DD - grade 7
    DS - grade 3
    Five born to Heaven, between 2009 and 2014
    DH is a bivocational pastor
    Celebrating 18 years of marriage this year.

Hey Kristi,

Sorry for the delay! We apparently suffered some technical disruptions that prevented us from being notified of new posts.

Regarding the specific question about whether HLS programs operate as for-profit or nonprofit, the answer is: it depends. There are good reasons for either depending on the situation. Typically I make a recommendation based upon our experience here in Louisville and considering the circumstances of the individuals who are reaching out, and then leave it up to them to decide. Regarding your second question, new Highlands Latin Schools operate under a trademark agreement, and that agreement stipulates a handful of core commitments that ensure we are partnering with people who feel as passionately as we do about the kind of classical Christian education we offer at HLS.

However, answering your questions in these terms feels a little too business oriented. Almost everyone I talk on the phone with about this, I tell them that the idea of Highlands Latin School is to welcome passionate, like-minded educators and communities into the Highlands Latin School family.

You can reach me at 502-855-4824 to discuss these questions, or feel free to email me! I hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
    X