Sample schedule for a 1 day/week, full-day cottage school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sample schedule for a 1 day/week, full-day cottage school

I will be teaching 3rd grade once per week from 8:00-3:30. The hope and expectation is the the students will receive instruction in all subjects: Latina Christiana, Composition, Spelling, Grammar, Christian Studies, Arithmetic and Speed Drills, Copy Work, Greek Myths, New American Cursive, Memory Work, American History, Astronomy, Geography, Poetry, Classical Music, Art.

I am looking for sample schedules of 1 day per week cottage schools. Even if you teach fewer subjects it would be helpful to see what is taught and the amount of time spent on each subject.

Thanks!

Hello Deb,

That's exciting. Where are you going to be teaching? Is this an established cottage school?

Memoria Press hasn't published any 1-day lesson plans for any of our subjects. In the Highlands Latin Louisville Cottage school, our teachers spend some time during the summer with our 5-day lesson plans and the teacher guides in order to make their lesson plan and syllabus for the year. It's an opportunity for the teacher to make sure they know where they are headed. I know this will be quite the challenge for you teaching all of those subjects. However, changing most of the subject lesson plans from the five-day to the one-day format is quite intuitive. For instance, in our Latin program you can spend your class time leading the recitations and instructing the students in the content, and then your students can complete their workbook pages throughout the week.

I hope that helps!

Comment

Shane,

I will be teaching at Highlands Latin School Des Moines. I have used Memoria Press exclusively to homeschool my rising 6th grader, rising 3rd grader, and rising 1st grader. My 6th grader has taken MPOA classes the past two years and I am currently taking the adult intensive FFL class with Magistra Strickland. I have been to every Sodlatitas conference for the past 7 years.

We actually use to live in Louisville in the Crescent Hill neighborhood. We moved to Iowa before my oldest could start school at HLS Louisville!! This past year Dana Reddin and I did a mini-cottage school with just our kids. While I'm not directly involved in establishing HLS DSM I am very excited about HLS's growing presence in Des Moines. As a future HLS Cottage School teacher I'm also incredibly overwhelmed by the prospect of doing the full core in this condensed one day format. I've had enough exposure to Memoria Press and HLS to know that you do all things well and I don't want my instruction at HLS DSM to fall short of the quality instruction I've come to appreciate through you MPOA and the Sodalitas teacher training.

I would love to set up a time with you talk more about how to flesh out a one-day schedule. Thanks for your insight into a recitation focused Latin class; I also think that a rhythmic approach to the grammar forms is helpful for 3rd graders.

Comment

Deb,
        Hello! We only teach 4 subjects on Monday, following the pattern of Spring Meadows. Teaching that many subjects may prove counterproductive since each will get such a tiny slice of time. Do you have a say in how many you can teach?

Our schedule:
        Latin 8-10
        Classics 10-11:30
        Lunch 11:30-12
        Literature 12-2
        Classical Composition 2-3:30
        We take play/stretch breaks in the two hour classes, 15 minutes each class. All ages.

We offer optional classes on a second day.
        www.nashvillelatinschool.com
        Best wishes!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th year HSing · 9th year MP
        @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Hi Jessica,

I am actually not the one who is starting this cottage school. The HLS DSM website lists the full-core as its offerings. Families that are participating are expecting the full-core and have purchased all the curriculum for that. I looked at all the HSL Cottage School across the US and see that most have also mirrored the Spring Meadows campus. I don't disagree with this format but it's not what HLS Des Moines has agreed to offer.

I missed seeing you this year at Sodalitas!!

Comment

I know! I look forward to seeing you (in person) each year! So here's another idea (and I realize you are not in charge)...
            The only grades that we have use compete cores are K-2 because when we started there was not enough interest to go full-core on everyone. We have retained that requirement for K-2 and what that looks like each week is they simply do "Monday" directly from the lesson plans at school. Since all your people are doing M-F full chores, do you think you could teach just the Monday at cottage school?

If there's no way it's changing, you could perhaps use the time/day chart in the front of the curriculum manual to figure out the recommendations for the number of minutes for each subject per week, then condense that into your available Monday teaching time by way of ratio. Just trying to brainstorm with you. If it's not helpful I'll stop. 😅
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2020-2021
            11th year HSing · 9th year MP
            @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I don't run a cottage school, but I teach a bunch of co-op classes. Because of possible covid restrictions in the fall, I'm considering moving most of my classes to Mondays. It would be First Form 12-1, Second Form 1-2, Material Logic/Rhetoric 2-3:15, Third Form 3:15-4:30ish. No kid/family is in all of those, so it's only crazy for me as the teacher.
              Like someone mentioned above, I teach the lesson in class, the students complete the workbook at home and the parents check that. Then they take the quiz, snap a picture of it and email it to me. I grade them before the next class.

​​​​​​On Tuesdays we have a smaller co-op. For the middle school kids, we'll do Novare Physical Science 1:15-2:15, Book of the Middle Ages 2:15-3:15, Art 3:15-4:15. The younger kids will do Greek Myths, Astronomy, and the 3rd grade picture books from 1:15-3:15, and Art with the older kids 3:15-4:15. Various parents teach the lessons, and any homework/tests is left entirely to the family.

Like Shane mentioned above, I spend a lot of my summer planning to make this work.

Hope that helps!
              Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys (7A, 6M, 2), classics major

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Deb,

It's great to meet an HLS Des Moines teacher! Shoot me an email at shane@memoriapress.com, and perhaps we can set up a time to talk through planning and prep.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
                  I don't run a cottage school, but I teach a bunch of co-op classes. Because of possible covid restrictions in the fall, I'm considering moving most of my classes to Mondays. It would be First Form 12-1, Second Form 1-2, Material Logic/Rhetoric 2-3:15, Third Form 3:15-4:30ish. No kid/family is in all of those, so it's only crazy for me as the teacher.
                  Like someone mentioned above, I teach the lesson in class, the students complete the workbook at home and the parents check that. Then they take the quiz, snap a picture of it and email it to me. I grade them before the next class.

​​​​​​On Tuesdays we have a smaller co-op. For the middle school kids, we'll do Novare Physical Science 1:15-2:15, Book of the Middle Ages 2:15-3:15, Art 3:15-4:15. The younger kids will do Greek Myths, Astronomy, and the 3rd grade picture books from 1:15-3:15, and Art with the older kids 3:15-4:15. Various parents teach the lessons, and any homework/tests is left entirely to the family.

Like Shane mentioned above, I spend a lot of my summer planning to make this work.

Hope that helps!
                  That is very helpful. Getting quizzes/tests graded is a concern with so little classroom time. I'll also be homeschooling my three kids so I'm thinking about all these additional elements of instructing other students that will likely need to happen outside of the classroom.

Comment

Working...
                  X