How Do I Know If There Is Interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Know If There Is Interest?

I've been playing with the idea of starting some kind of MP-specific community next year. I have experience directing a classical co-op and would have a facility (my husband is a pastor, so I have access to our church). But, we just moved to the area this year and I don't really know anyone. There are also a ton of educational options here: private, public, charter, homeschool co-ops. Most homeschoolers I've met so far already do some kind of enrichment program through the public school or one of the charter schools. How do I find out if there's even enough interest in my area to start something?

In my seven years of homeschooling, I haven't found many families who are interested in very academic programs, which is probably why I haven't really fit in with the typical co-ops. The program we helped with starting five years ago in my previous town purported to be very academically focused, but I didn't find it to be so, nor did it attract families looking for that, so I was always frustrated by the lack of commitment and study. I do think my kids are missing the community aspect and it would be nice to have some friends doing school similarly to us, and especially for them to have a group setting for certain subjects (literature & Latin would be awesome). Is there a thread somewhere for people to list where they are from so that I could see if there are other MP families nearby who might be interested in a group? I am aware of the community listings on the MP website and actually reached out to the two or three people listed near me when we moved here (only one responded, and she was moving).

We do have a Highlands Latin school about 1.5 hours away - too far for me to drive. By the way, I'm in the Denver metro area
    2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
    DD6, MP Core Grade 1
    DD3, MP Preschool

Have you thought about having an interest meeting/meet-up at a local coffee shop (neutral site, easy to come and go, no one feels cornered, etc)? You can advertise on social media (boosting a post is cheap) and hang flyers at the library, book stores, local parks, etc... Any place homeschoolers would frequent. Show up with a few books from your kids boxes and some Classical Teacher magazines.

People who want to home school through high school eventually (usually? 馃槅) get serious about academics in upper middle school and high school. The rubber does hit the road. If you can find even one other family, people lead you to other people.

You might also search local homeschool private tutors (who are sometimes retired homeschool parents). They may want to teach with you and/or know families with younger students.

At some point you just put yourself (your idea) out there and see if you can get traction. It heavily depends on your area and who lives there. I will be praying for you to find a few allies to partner with!
    Festina lent膿,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 路 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S 路 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D 路 8th
    D 路 5th
    S 路 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Anita Are you still out there in CO? And if so, might you have any contacts for Shauna?
      Festina lent膿,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 路 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S 路 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D 路 8th
      D 路 5th
      S 路 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

pickandgrin, thanks so much for the encouragement! Looking for homeschool tutors is a great idea. I would totally do it with just one other family, but so far, I haven't found any other MP users. I know they have to be out there...
        2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
        DD6, MP Core Grade 1
        DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

I live near Princeton, NJ, which is probably the private school capital of the country...I understand about people already being involved in other things...My boys are too old to start anything now, but I wish I lived near an MP community...I wish you were in Jersey 馃槈...Keep us updated...I always read this board to see if someone is starting something...
          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
          DS -19 (9/4/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
          DS -15 (9/9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
          DS -13 (7/3/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Working...
          X