First Form Latin Class Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Form Latin Class Time

Hello! I will be teaching First Form Latin this coming school year to 5th through 8th graders who have no Latin background. Our class schedule will be twice a week for an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can assign work to be done at home, but the parents do not know Latin and will not be able to be much help. I was hoping some of you might offer some advice/ideas on how you would use class time. I am thinking I can at least assign the lesson quizzes to be done at home, but I am concerned about checking other workbook work, because if I have their workbook for grading purposes, then they don't have access to it at home to do any work in it. I was considering having them answer on notebook paper and turn that in to me instead. Do any of you have any thoughts?

I would use the class time for formal recitation (both meetings), teaching the lesson, and working through the hardest part of the workbook together. That's great that you will meet twice a week! The parents should have the workbook and quiz key at home. This will allow them to mark daily work, quizzes, and tests. This is very important because you will not have class time to look over their work and tests. They can bring marked work and you can glance over it at the beginning to see where troubles are. At this level there is not a lot of nuance and any parent should be able to do this.

I would expect the younger students to have to work harder then the older students since they all have no Latin background. They will need to be diligent with flashcards and form recitation at home. I have weekly checklist lesson plans that I have made for our cottage school and a complete Quizlet set that I am happy to share with you if you would like to message me your email address.

Best wishes for a great year! I love First Form!

PS- Will you be at the teacher training in July?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks for your response! I will not be at the teacher training in July, but as our little school evolves it may be something I can attend in the future. I would love to see the work you've already done and will figure out how to message you (I'm very new to using the forum-I usually just read it-ha!) This is my first time teaching in a co-op setting and I'm very excited to be teaching First Form.

Comment

Hi AMBB!
        I taught First Form last school year. We only met once per week for an hour, so already you have an advantage! The hour flies by, so it moves quickly and there is no time for chitchat or delays.

Class follows basically this format each week:
        - prayer (in Latin) & recitation
        - Latin saying & vocabulary/derivatives
        - grammar concepts & practice on the whiteboard
        - look over homework for tricky spots and do a few together
        - miscellaneous grammar review drills, pronunciation practice, National Latin Exam practice, etc. (with whatever time is remaining)

Students complete the workbook exercises during the week. Parents grade the workbook. Then the students take the quiz and email it to me by noon the day of class (we meet @5pm) so I have time to grade it before class.

Hope that helps!
        Amanda
        Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Nerdmom,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Just hearing from others how they used their class time is a real help-sorry for the late response. I love the idea of practicing on the whiteboard! My class will be really small. It might only be 4 students, so I think I can have them race against each other on the whiteboard.

Comment

Working...
          X