3rd Literature/Latin/Intro to Comp, possibly EGR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Literature/Latin/Intro to Comp, possibly EGR1

Has anyone done this combo? I am just wondering how long it will take. It is just 3 girls (maybe that makes it move more quickly, or slowly?). We will meet on Tuesday. It works to do the Tuesday work for Lit, but not the Latin, Intro to Comp. we will have to do the Monday work on Tuesday. Also our first meeting we would have to skip Intro to Comp, since it is scheduled on Fridays and ties to the literature. I am considering adding, also the EGR, but feel pressed for time. I really have no idea how long it will take?

Also, in co-op situations how much do you have the kids read aloud in class? “My” girls can burn out pretty fast and our primary purpose to get together is for discussion. However, I still feel reading aloud, in a group is also beneficial?

We will I’ll be doing only the first half of LC as well.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Christine,
    How long would you like to meet to study together, and will you have a break or share lunch? I would count the amount of time first and then set what you can include. From your list my priorities would be Latin & Literature. Intro to Comp and EGR 1 are pretty easily done at home with Mom. (Thinking ahead to next year adding Greek Myths or Fable would be my next choice.)

You could do the Monday Latin and Lit to kick off the week and then the following Monday at home would be the review/quiz day. For reading aloud I would suggest that they each read aloud 10% of the selection and you read 70%. That's what share they'd have if there were 9 students in the class plus a teacher. You can read a bulk of it first to model good reading habits then start rotating been them. Your speed will help kick the class off and pull them into the story.

If you have extra time I'd ask the other parent what she wants done as a group more. The EGR will be easier to add because it's not tied to the Lit. Going over that little lesson together and doing the copywork (or doing one exercise together) would be a good use of time.

HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I think we have 2 hours, planned, but it is not set in stone (meeting on Tuesday, though is).. we all planned to do Intro to Comp, but I agree it might actually be best at home. However, all 3 have some difficulty with the subject and 3 ideas to outline I thought may help them all. One girl, in particular, can give the best answers, but has trouble with the physical act of writing. I think her mom is hoping this is one done outside the home! Oh, we are following SC 5/6, so much of the lit guide will be oral, but they will copy a few answers into a notebook.

Thanks for the tip of how to divide the reading aloud!

i would love to do Greek Myths, but the other Moms are not doing it. (My daughter is!). I do hope to do Fable, Lit and Latin the following year, for sure!
      Last edited by howiecram; 05-21-2019, 08:02 AM.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I was going to fix a few other mistakes in my post, but fear the “net limbo” for too many edits! Using the phone is always a bad idea!

Oh, and in the two hours, they do physically get up and move to a different room. My friend does the Latin, I do the Lit. The third mom could potentially do something else.
        Last edited by howiecram; 05-21-2019, 08:08 AM.
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

I know! Haha!

What if you opened with 30 min of Latin (may be less at the beginning since recitation will be very short), then did Lit for an hour (may need to take a 5 min stretch break at the top of the hour), then wrapped up with 30 min on Intro to Comp, getting the short discussion and outline done?

Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

That sounds like a good plan to present!
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

For reading...if you have kids hesitant to make mistakes or are poor readers, you can pre-assign the selections. So, send an email to the parents saying that Suzy is going to read the second paragraph on page whatever. This would give the kids a chance to pre-read their selection ahead of time and be more confident in the classroom.
              Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
              DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
              DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                For reading...if you have kids hesitant to make mistakes or are poor readers, you can pre-assign the selections. So, send an email to the parents saying that Suzy is going to read the second paragraph on page whatever. This would give the kids a chance to pre-read their selection ahead of time and be more confident in the classroom.
                Yes, thank you! I had thought about that, with Jessica's suggestion. In the MP2 selections there is so much work, pre-work, etc that we had different sessions each time. I have a few ideas how to streamline that this year. As all the phonics work is now removed, and on Monday they are supposed to pre-read, this will streamline things and I can do that extra step of knowing which child will read which selection. There is one child, in particular, that her reading has improved tremendously this year, but needs a lot of work reading aloud. She is the best contributor when it comes to discussion though, so the balance of the 3 girls is almost imperative!
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                  I was going to fix a few other mistakes in my post, but fear the “net limbo” for too many edits!
                  Don't be afraid to edit! The post won't be deleted and we will approve it!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                  X