Latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin

Ok, so we have kids coming with a mixture of Latin experience. I am trying to see the best way to handle it. Incoming high schoolers can’t all use FF Latin, some of them have accreditation companies that won’t accept it for high school credit. How would you handle this? They will allow for FF&SF Latin or just Second.
    Traditional Catholic mom of 4
    DD 16 - Kolbe 10th grade, volleyball player, applying to Catholic universities
    DD 14 - MP 8A, ASL, speech club, skater, crochet lover
    DD 6 - MP 1ST, volleyball and church lover
    DS 5 - mommy's crazy maker

Since it's only April could they all be ready for SF by August? If they started with the DVDs ASAP and did two lessons a week at home, could that fast track everyone?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I am not an expert at this, but I would be hesitant to expect the students to do two lessons per week for their entire summer break especially on foundational material. My concern based on one student I got in our coop this year is that they won’t memorize the material in the manner you want them to and then it is hard to convince them they need to stop and go back. Henle units 1-5 is roughly the equivalent of first and second form so the content is doable in a year. I would think it would be reasonable to have them cover the first two units in first form then pick up with the 1&2 review (lesson 13) in the fall to get everyone back on the same page. You may need to adjust the amount of homework (particularly translations) that they must complete as some lessons can get quite long. A bit could be saved at the end for a summer assignment before third form. Completing both books is going to require both the students and the parents to consider Latin to be a serious subject.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Dorinda, You are totally right about work at home. I was curious if they already had some background that might make that easier. I was going to suggest (based on her response) putting all the older kids in Henle 1 anyway instead of SF and do the best pace you can. If they are new to Latin & classical ed then working fast at home would difficult, but some might do it to avoid being in class with little siblings. As always in cottage school/co-op/tutorial questions you have to blend what the students need, how many teachers and classrooms you have, and what is realistic for the cost/workload/sequencing/parental buy-in. There's no straight answer; there are so many factors in play. In Nashville, the desire for a fast-track high school Latin hasn't yet emerged, nor would we spare a Latin teacher for that. One day, I hope!
        Last edited by pickandgrin; 04-05-2019, 08:24 AM.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          Dorinda, You are totally right about work at home. I was curious if they already had some background that might make that easier. I was going to suggest (based on her response) putting all the older kids in Henle 1 anyway instead of SF and do the best pace you can. If they are new to Latin & classical ed then working fast at home would difficult, but some might do it to avoid being in class with little siblings. As always in cottage school/co-op/tutorial questions you have to blend what the students need, how many teachers and classrooms you have, and what is realistic for the cost/workload/sequencing/parental buy-in. There's no straight answer; there are so many factors in play. In Nashville, the desire for a fast-track high school Latin hasn't yet emerged, nor would we spare a Latin teacher for that. One day, I hope!
          Just to jump in quickly to affirm the suggestions by Jessica and Dorinda... while working (well) through the Form series is best, if it is not an option due to hs credit issue, I too would suggest a Henle class. I think, as Jessica said, some students/families can accelerate FFL and do so successfully but for any who do not, SFL will be a wreck and the entirety of their Latin career will suffer. It would still be a good idea, though, to invite families to work through FFL now-August in preparation for Henle. They will be happy they did.

Something to keep in mind, however, is the significantly higher amount of teacher-prep that is required to teach Henle, as opposed to the Forms.
          Ryan Weston
          Director, Cottage Schools and Distributor Relations
          Memoria Press

Comment

If I go through Henle first, should that group move to Henle II the next year? The others can move forward as planed by MP.

Comment

Henle 1 will probably be a two year study. MP has guides and plans (and new flashcards!) for that.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Comment

Here is the set and additional resources at the bottom: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...e-latin-i-set/
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                D · 8th
                D · 5th
                S · 2nd

Comment

Hmm...ok so this is something to talk to my moms about then.

Comment

Originally posted by Wahmaz View Post
                    If I go through Henle first, should that group move to Henle II the next year? The others can move forward as planed by MP.
                    Good afternoon,

As Jessica noted, Henle I contains too much material to be doable in a single year. Instead, we'd recommend spending the whole academic year on the first five units, for which we have quizzes and a teacher manual. After that, the Henle students could finish the book the next year, or they could transition over to the Forms series. Does that make more sense?
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

Comment

I feel for you, friend! Placing older students into groups for cumulative subjects is so tough.
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                      D · 8th
                      D · 5th
                      S · 2nd

Comment

I am talking to the group tonight to see more about what else we need to look into.

As of now I may need to think about composition...IEW or combining comps 2-4 for upper school, and history...no one wants 2 years...do we do US in one, or do I do another history program?

Comment

Originally posted by Wahmaz View Post
                          I am talking to the group tonight to see more about what else we need to look into.

As of now I may need to think about composition...IEW or combining comps 2-4 for upper school, and history...no one wants 2 years...do we do US in one, or do I do another history program?
                          Can you clarify what you mean when you say "combining comps 2-4" – is that referencing IEW still, or Classical Composition? If it is the latter, I would strongly recommend not combining those programs into a single year. Refutation/Confirmation needs a full year and Chreia/Maxim needs at least 2 trimesters—even in high school. Fable/Narrative can be completed in a year by upper school students, or Narrative/Chreia but with a 1/3 (N) and 2/3 (C/M) schedule.

History – American History will be difficult (time consuming) to do well in one year but not impossible. You will need to cover a chapter a week in order to complete the entire book and may not be able to read every page of every chapter but will need the teacher to pick and choose what to cover and what to leave out. This is definitely a high school level class.

Soon we will have an updated edition for our European history program that is completed in one year, you could try that. Also a high school level class.

Best,
                          --Ryan
                          Ryan Weston
                          Director, Cottage Schools and Distributor Relations
                          Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                          X