Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algebra 1 In Home Class

Good Morning,
    I do not want to teach Algebra or any Upper Level Math. In exploring my options for next year, I think hosting a small class in my home with a hired teacher is the best choice. We do not get internet service that would support MPOA or Streaming the Class. I can't find a class that already exists. Ending all math is frowned upon, so here we are!

I had a teacher I was very excited about, but we couldn't agree on pricing. I think my mistake was asking her what she would charge, instead of saying to her this is what the position pays. I'd like to avoid that scenario when I speak to the next teacher. What is the average going rate for an endeavor like this? When is payment due? How should Absences be Handled? Please share any wisdom or suggestions. I'll lay out my idea below.

Thanks, Courtney

8 Students Max - (I have 7 Interested Families)
    Meet in My Home 1-2X Weekly
    Use Prentice Hall Classics Algebra 1 with MP Lesson Plans, Q&T
    Teacher Responsibilities: Teach, Grade Q&T, Tweak MP Lesson Plans to work for this Scenario, Be Available through Email for help as the need arises
    Parent Responsibilities: Pay Tuition, Check Daily Work to Ensure Student Understand New Concepts, Purchase Text and Q&T Book

Joyfully, Courtney
    DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
    Ending all math is frowned upon, so here we are!
    Had to laugh at this!

We we are in the same position, although our internet is not too bad..he doesn't do well with online math class. I do NOT want to teacher upper level math..at least not with my current upper level math student.

What you have proposed sounds lovely! There isn't much interest for group math in our co-op, and the other co-op that has math only meets once a week. Seems hard to cover that much math in once a week.

I would say at least 2x (3 is even better a week and the Teacher responsibilities and parent responsibilities seem ideal. If it were me, I would be willing to pay a master teacher approximately the same amount it would cost to put my kid in MPOA Algebra.
    Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
    DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
    DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
    DD 9: 4th using 3A
    Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

At our co-op we pay outside teachers about $8-9 per hour class per kid. So an 8 student class would cost about $70 per hour class. So for an 18 week semester meeting once per week at $8 per class, each student pays $144 per semester.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

If this is an actual teacher, I would go no less than $20 per hour...the issue there is that most people are not going to jump on this without having a few hours lined up weekly.

As as a teacher, I would require a minimum for $20 an hour, but depending on location, may require two hour minimums. I also would not recommend less than twice weekly.

Each family pays pays upfront with no refunds, this ensures the teacher will keep coming.
        Traditional Catholic mom of 4
        DD 16 - Kolbe 10th grade, volleyball player, applying to Catholic universities
        DD 14 - MP 8A, ASL, speech club, skater, crochet lover
        DD 6 - MP 1ST, volleyball and church lover
        DS 5 - mommy's crazy maker

Comment

Originally posted by Wahmaz View Post

Each family pays pays upfront with no refunds, this ensures the teacher will keep coming.
          Amen.

(Extra words to meet the ten word minimum...)

Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thank you for the replies! I spoke with a possible teacher earlier today. She is really excited about the prospect! She wants to speak to her husband and pray about whether this is the right path for her. Which makes me desire her to say yes even more! We were agreeing on everything I imagine the class to be and we agree on pricing. Yay! Sadly, I’ve lost interest from two families. Though very quickly I had inquiries from three more. Praying for God to provide the teacher and the students. And now I’m wondering if I could pull this off with Pre-Algebra too......
            Joyfully, Courtney
            DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

If she can teach Algebra 1 then she can teach pre-algebra, and teaching two classes back-to-back makes the money that much better without adding any travel between. It can really sweeten the pot for the teacher! It could be a win-win!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I have a teacher! I'm so excited! I even have a location outside of my home, for free! My teacher is going to teach two classes, Algebra 1 and Geometry. I do not have anyone in Geometry yet, that was a request from a friend who offered her church full of classrooms if I found her a teacher.

When I look at the MP Geometry Set it's different than what I'm used to seeing. I can't view samples. It doesn't appear to have a book of quizzes and tests or lesson plans. Is that correct?

I know the Algebra 1 Text is out of print. I have mine and ordered two more used today. Any suggestions on where to locate more of these books? I know that's probably a silly question. I'm glad to purchase them and rent them to students through the years. I have 3 more coming up that will need to take Algebra and I hope to never teach it! MP, Is HLS selling the Algebra 1 texts by chance?
                Joyfully, Courtney
                DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

MP doesn't have anymore per Tanya on another thread (the videotext thread)
                  Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                  DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                  DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                  Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                  Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Hello.

HLS will keep all their algebra books since we can't get more. They are like gold now! Sorry I can't offload some to you!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
                      I have a teacher! I'm so excited! I even have a location outside of my home, for free! My teacher is going to teach two classes, Algebra 1 and Geometry. I do not have anyone in Geometry yet, that was a request from a friend who offered her church full of classrooms if I found her a teacher.

When I look at the MP Geometry Set it's different than what I'm used to seeing. I can't view samples. It doesn't appear to have a book of quizzes and tests or lesson plans. Is that correct?

I know the Algebra 1 Text is out of print. I have mine and ordered two more used today. Any suggestions on where to locate more of these books? I know that's probably a silly question. I'm glad to purchase them and rent them to students through the years. I have 3 more coming up that will need to take Algebra and I hope to never teach it! MP, Is HLS selling the Algebra 1 texts by chance?
                      Quick search on Abe books showed several. Condition says used but the price is quite low so might be worth a try.
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Not sure the difference between the regular and the California edition, but there are a bunch of those. Page 2/3 have some teacher editions. The pricier ones are about page 5.
                        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

Here are some on eBay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=algebra1+smith
                          Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Oops...looks like I forgot to paste the AbeBooks link https://www.abebooks.com/book-search.../author/smith/
                            Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                            X