Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of the Core can I really teach?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much of the Core can I really teach?

As I continue to develop my proposal for a hybrid school next year, I am struggling to figure out what I can realistically cover during our tutorial time, and what will be left to parents.

Since the group of families I'm working with are rather diverse (some homeschoolers, some coming out of PS), and none are familiar with MP, and few with Classical Education, I am leaning toward a model that completely separates the subjects that are taught during the tutorial from those that the parent will teach. This is because I really don't think at this point that our parents will be able to consistently continue with the remaining days of the core curriculum, as they do in the one-day-a-week cottage school models. Maybe in a few years.....

My tentative schedule is a 4-morning a week program, Mon-Thurs, 8:00-11:45. This is when our space is available.

At present, I have two classrooms available to me, each capable of accommodating up to 12 students. I don't expect to have more than 8 in each class this first year. I am intending to offer a 1st/2nd-grade class, as my daughter is a 2nd grader. If I have sufficient interest and commitment and provided I can find another teacher, I will consider adding a 3rd/4th class.

I realize that combination classes are not ideal, and I'll be working to determine what part of the Core will be taught to both grade levels, and what will need to be separated. We are, however, limited by space and human resources, so this is where we need to start. How to best combine is probably another post or perhaps a consult with MP staff!

At present, I am considering covering the following portions of the Core for 1st/2nd:

Recitation
    Copywork/memory work
    Spelling
    Phonics/Reading Fluency--will likely review FSR E for both grades each year in the first few weeks.
    Literature--I plan to use half of the first-grade STT in the first semester and half of the 2nd grade lit guides in the 2nd semester.
    Handwriting
    Math

For 3rd/4th (if we end up with a 3rd/4th)

Recitation
    Latin--Prima
    Math
    Composition/Grammar
    Spelling
    Cursive
    Literature & Poetry(will include the Poetry curriculum because I love it.)

I plan on holding off on Latin and formal grammar until 3rd grade and really focus on reading fluency through 2nd grade. Grammar will be taught gently and informally via Copywork to the 2nd graders.

I also intend to include more easy reader fluency practice in 1/2, in addition to the literature selections for in-depth study, if needed. And it likely will be needed.

First graders entering will need to be ready to read LIttle Bear, and have covered FSR A-D at home, or equivalent.

Our schedule will be something like this:

8:00-9:15 Instruction

9:15-9:25 break

9:25-10:25 instruction

10:25-10:35 break

10:35-11:45 instruction.

So I basically have 3 nice, 1+hr chunks for instruction, 4 days a week.

I am planning to have parents teach the following:

* Additional independent or with-mom reading at home. All students to read at home, some will need additional mom tutoring

*Math and/or spelling word drill as needed

* Christian Studies/Bible

*For 1st/2nd Literature & Enrichment

*For 3rd/4th Classical Studies/Geography/American Studies/Read Aloud

I've chosen these subjects for parents to cover because while I plan to encourage and recommend the MP scope and sequence, I have A LOT of very independent HS families who like what they like. I can see some families choosing MP and others doing their own thing. And my hope is that with Languages arts and math solidly covered by the tutorial, they will have the freedom to do just that.

So my question is, in the time I have, could I teach more of the Core? Could I, for example, do the Read Aloud LIterature portion of the 1st/2rd or 3rd/4th grades? Or perhaps Classical Studies for 3rd/4th? Or, does it seem like LA and Math is enough considering the time frame?

And also, what do you think? And, are their any giant landmines that I'm missing here?

Thanks so much!
    Shawna

Just want you to know that I've seen this, but am going to leave it to the actual schools people at MP or on the board otherwise to help you with this since your format is the four day model. Hopefully you will get some good guidance!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thank you, Jessica! And also to those wonderful "schools people" who are so incredibly helpful, if this question is better handled in a phone consult, please say so. I realize that this may be too much detail to cover in this format. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnaB View Post
        As I continue to develop my proposal for a hybrid school next year, I am struggling to figure out what I can realistically cover during our tutorial time, and what will be left to parents.

Since the group of families I'm working with are rather diverse (some homeschoolers, some coming out of PS), and none are familiar with MP, and few with Classical Education, I am leaning toward a model that completely separates the subjects that are taught during the tutorial from those that the parent will teach. This is because I really don't think at this point that our parents will be able to consistently continue with the remaining days of the core curriculum, as they do in the one-day-a-week cottage school models. Maybe in a few years.....

My tentative schedule is a 4-morning a week program, Mon-Thurs, 8:00-11:45. This is when our space is available.

At present, I have two classrooms available to me, each capable of accommodating up to 12 students. I don't expect to have more than 8 in each class this first year. I am intending to offer a 1st/2nd-grade class, as my daughter is a 2nd grader. If I have sufficient interest and commitment and provided I can find another teacher, I will consider adding a 3rd/4th class.

I realize that combination classes are not ideal, and I'll be working to determine what part of the Core will be taught to both grade levels, and what will need to be separated. We are, however, limited by space and human resources, so this is where we need to start. How to best combine is probably another post or perhaps a consult with MP staff!

At present, I am considering covering the following portions of the Core for 1st/2nd:

Recitation
        Copywork/memory work
        Spelling
        Phonics/Reading Fluency--will likely review FSR E for both grades each year in the first few weeks.
        Literature--I plan to use half of the first-grade STT in the first semester and half of the 2nd grade lit guides in the 2nd semester.
        Handwriting
        Math

For 3rd/4th (if we end up with a 3rd/4th)

Recitation
        Latin--Prima
        Math
        Composition/Grammar
        Spelling
        Cursive
        Literature & Poetry(will include the Poetry curriculum because I love it.)

I plan on holding off on Latin and formal grammar until 3rd grade and really focus on reading fluency through 2nd grade. Grammar will be taught gently and informally via Copywork to the 2nd graders.

I also intend to include more easy reader fluency practice in 1/2, in addition to the literature selections for in-depth study, if needed. And it likely will be needed.

First graders entering will need to be ready to read LIttle Bear, and have covered FSR A-D at home, or equivalent.

Our schedule will be something like this:

8:00-9:15 Instruction

9:15-9:25 break

9:25-10:25 instruction

10:25-10:35 break

10:35-11:45 instruction.

So I basically have 3 nice, 1+hr chunks for instruction, 4 days a week.

I am planning to have parents teach the following:

* Additional independent or with-mom reading at home. All students to read at home, some will need additional mom tutoring

*Math and/or spelling word drill as needed

* Christian Studies/Bible

*For 1st/2nd Literature & Enrichment

*For 3rd/4th Classical Studies/Geography/American Studies/Read Aloud

I've chosen these subjects for parents to cover because while I plan to encourage and recommend the MP scope and sequence, I have A LOT of very independent HS families who like what they like. I can see some families choosing MP and others doing their own thing. And my hope is that with Languages arts and math solidly covered by the tutorial, they will have the freedom to do just that.

So my question is, in the time I have, could I teach more of the Core? Could I, for example, do the Read Aloud LIterature portion of the 1st/2rd or 3rd/4th grades? Or perhaps Classical Studies for 3rd/4th? Or, does it seem like LA and Math is enough considering the time frame?

And also, what do you think? And, are their any giant landmines that I'm missing here?

Thanks so much!
        Shawna
        Hi Shawna,

I do think this question would be better served over the phone and I am happy to set some time aside when you are available. I will say, a general rule of thumb is minimally assigning an hour and a half of instruction to the core subjects is necessary, especially if you intend to offer all of the instruction in class. It would appear you have enough time for that, but putting an actual schedule together will make sure everything receives adequate time.

If you would like to give the office a call I am available this afternoon, Monday in the AM, or just about any time Tuesday. Looking forward to speaking with you more.

Best,

Ryan Weston
        Director, Cottage Schools and Distributor Relations
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you Ryan! I'll PM you.
          Shawna

Comment

Working...
          X