The 4-letter word that starts with M- Math

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 4-letter word that starts with M- Math

Hello all! I’m going to be posting a lot of questions here soon, I hope! I’ll tell you more about the school we’re trying to open in a separate post, but for now I have a question about MATH- a 4-letter word to some. Looking at how other programs are set up, I’m not seeing a lot of math courses in the schedule. I would think math to be an area where parents might need the most help in teaching and instruction. Has anyone tackled math in their cottage school and can share how you do it?
    Son- 4th grade, homeschooled, full core
    2 younger children in Catholic school
    1 more munchkin up to no good

We do not teach math until 6th grade as a separate class. In kindergarten through 3rd grade the students do their Monday assignments at cottage school and then their Tuesday through Friday assignments at home. What classes you offer on your main day will depend on your objective as a school. Our main day of school is modeled after Spring Meadows and includes Latin, classical studies, literature, and composition. We have found that most parents can handle math at home through 5th grade, particularly if they are willing to use Rod and Staff at home. Other multi-day cottage schools do teach math for all ages. It depends on if your model is to provide instruction in all subjects with work being completed at home, or if you are providing the classical focus and the skills coaching (like through literature and composition) and parents are homeschooling the rest. Can you share more about your vision for your school? Will you be a trademarked cottage school or will you be a Memoria Press focused school? Will you use some but not all of the Memoria Press curriculum? Your purpose and vision will dictate your form. Looking forward to hearing more!
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 02-12-2019, 12:15 PM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

I also highly commend to you this session from Cindy Davis at last year's Sodalitas Gathering on The Order of Math. Follow this link and scroll down to her presentation It's 40 minutes if sheer inspiration! https://www.memoriapress.com/streami...hering-videos/
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
      Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
      DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
      www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

At our one-day a week cottage school in Louisville, we tried teaching math, but people had so many strong opinions about it that no one really wanted to use the same math program. So we opted out of math as a course of study until middle school. And then, based on interest, we do offer prealgebra and algebra.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          At our one-day a week cottage school in Louisville, we tried teaching math, but people had so many strong opinions about it that no one really wanted to use the same math program. So we opted out of math as a course of study until middle school. And then, based on interest, we do offer prealgebra and algebra.

Tanya
          This is what I was guessing! Who knew math could be so divisive?
          Son- 4th grade, homeschooled, full core
          2 younger children in Catholic school
          1 more munchkin up to no good

Comment

Cute. Michael loves puns, so he will appreciate this.

Tanya

Comment

Cute. Michael loves puns, so he will appreciate this.

Tanya
              Yes, I do. Good one, musdir26!
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

Tanya
                Tanya,

How did the students do with a one day a week format?
                DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
                DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
                DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
                DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
                DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
                DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
                http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

Dianna,

We didn't settle on a full math curriculum because everyone was using something different. So we just did basic math reviews: timed drills, skip counting, board races, etc. So that meant that they did their "real" math lessons at home. It was awkward; hence the discontinuation of this particular subject!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                  X