Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Seeking advice for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking advice for a friend

What advice would you give to a mother who wants to homeschool her 5th grade son with autism but thinks she isn't "smart enough" to do it? He also has dyslexia and dysgraphia. Asking for a friend. Seriously, I am.
    2 boys, 5th and 3rd grade cores
    6 and 3 year old girls in Montessori school

Re: Seeking advice for a friend

If the 5th grader's reading and writing abilities are within our SC 1, 2, 3, or 4 levels, you can tell her we have an open-and-go set of daily lesson plans just for this purpose!

Have her join this forum or the MP SC Families FB group. Tell her that homeschooling moms are doing this successfully without formal training! Tell her that we will help her with placement, tips for teaching, and any troubleshooting along the way.

Have her look through sample lessons. If she can read, she can do this!

Tell her about the NHERI research that shows that a homeschooled child taught by a mom with only a high school diploma scores higher, on average, than a student taught by "smart experts" in the public schools. Tell her that she will already have three advantages:
    1. She will use a tutorial model.
    2. She will spend more time with her child than an expert ever could.
    3. She will have our support!

More than this, she will be motivated by both parental fear (I need to do this well for my child's future!) and love (I want to do this well, because I love my child).

If your friend is brave enough to share, invite her to hop onto this thread or start her own. We would love to meet her!

Comment

Working...
    X