Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheryl and I will be presenting a talk on organization for teens/tweens with executive function challenges (whether EF as a stand-alone, or with ADHD, Autism, etc).

Please share what you/your child struggle with most in this area and what you hope to glean from this session!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Re: FEEDBACK: Organization/Executive Function talk for Sodalitas

Bumping this up...

My initial thought is to address organization in four areas:

Organization of...
    the Soul
    the Mind
    the Environment
    Time

Within these we’ll cover how to encourage (and equip) for independent learning, importance of physical supports (sleep, exercise) and why organizational abilities are often worse in the tween/teen years.

What within these areas does your child particularly struggle with?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

I have seen how organization of environment is very important. School at the dining room table was not feasible with this child. He is too easily distracted by other kids lessons, lesson books, movement, sound, etc. I found that presenting the lesson at the table first and then he went to a separate space to complete the assignment worked well. Now, we have separate desks. His faces the wall. He's still distracted by my teaching others, but we have ear muffs available.

Having a labeled space for each subjects school books is important. Put your book back where it belongs, is said a lot. I keep track of flashcards at my desk so they arent pulled apart or lost.

Organizing time. He is hyper focused on his schedule, to a fault. Example, he has an activity tonight at 7 and he has been fretting over 'how much longer' since Wednesday night when he was invited. He immediately packed his bag and has double checked / re-packed it several times over the last two days.

I made a checklist thing for school work. Each subject has a space for a velcro star. This helps him see 'how much more' as he works through his day. We put a black dot on a subject if we have no intention of doing it that day, art for example.

Continuous review helps organize his mind. We still review single digit first grade arithmetic nearly every day. Reviewing all latin lessons up to current is important. Reviewing previous recitation is also helpful.
      Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
      DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
      DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
        I have seen how organization of environment is very important. School at the dining room table was not feasible with this child. He is too easily distracted by other kids lessons, lesson books, movement, sound, etc. I found that presenting the lesson at the table first and then he went to a separate space to complete the assignment worked well. Now, we have separate desks. His faces the wall. He's still distracted by my teaching others, but we have ear muffs available.

Having a labeled space for each subjects school books is important. Put your book back where it belongs, is said a lot. I keep track of flashcards at my desk so they arent pulled apart or lost.

Organizing time. He is hyper focused on his schedule, to a fault. Example, he has an activity tonight at 7 and he has been fretting over 'how much longer' since Wednesday night when he was invited. He immediately packed his bag and has double checked / re-packed it several times over the last two days.

I made a checklist thing for school work. Each subject has a space for a velcro star. This helps him see 'how much more' as he works through his day. We put a black dot on a subject if we have no intention of doing it that day, art for example.

Continuous review helps organize his mind. We still review single digit first grade arithmetic nearly every day. Reviewing all latin lessons up to current is important. Reviewing previous recitation is also helpful.
        This sounds awesome! Would you be willing to bring a sample? I am opting to go. It will be my first time. This year I moved my sons desk to face the wall as well. He does ok with it, but he is still so distractable and he also can’t sit and listen to a story for more than a few minutes. It is such a bummer because his younger siblings can and are always begging for one more page.

I would love to think of ways to help my son in this area as he is 13 and I am not sure how we are doing at this.

Comment

Will this talk be made available? I need a LOT of hand holding and help in this area. Of my 5 kiddos, two are majorly struggling with this.

I've read Smart But Scattered, but would love some practical tips from HSing mamas.

(I love the idea to turn the desk to face the wall. That would be incredibly helpful to my younger one that struggles!)

Lauren
          Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
          9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus MPOA Henle I
          7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
          5th grade DD: 5M
          3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
          2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

We hope so! The recorder was on during our talk. We'll post when it is ready. Until then, this "handout" might give you a few ideas or spark more of your own.

Comment

I added a cork board to the wall in front of his desk. We posted the SC rules on it and the math facts we were working in. Note: use mega push pins (obnoxiously large) or staple gun your papers up. The little pins were too tempting for a fidgeter.

If you have a random doodler or an angry scribbler/ destroyer, either laminate your posted papers or put them in page protectors. My son loses track of where his markers are in space, they end up on his face or walls totally accidentally.
              Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
              DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
              DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Working...
              X