Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Prepping for evaluations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Prepping for evaluations

    This seems to be a common theme right now...must be something about spring!

    My three middle children (11, 9 & 6) have an appointment with our pediatrician in early May to get referrals for neuropsych and OT evaluations. Our older two (13 and almost-15) need testing too, but we've worked really hard with them the past few years and they are managing things fairly well so we decided to have the middle ones tested first. All that being said, I have a couple of questions:

    1. If your child was on supplements before testing (fish oil, magnesium, etc), did you stop those so as not to interfere with the test results? We fell off the wagon with supplements but were going to start again when I realized that might be counterproductive before testing.

    2. My kids have always acted very well in public: no tantrums and hardly ever a shut-down. When overwhelmed by outside activity, they don't show the effects until we get home (screaming, crying, depression, shutting down, lethargy, etc -- and it can last for 1-2 days depending on the amount of activity we had). The fidgeting, chair-tipping and distractibility remain when in public, but not the more intense behaviors. We're not testing for emotional issues, but will this inconsistency have an adverse affect on the neuropsych evaluation?

    Also, where I can I find more details about the specific tests they do during a neuropsych eval? I only saw info online about what is tested, not how.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

    DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

    DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

    DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

    DS11
    SC Level 4

    DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

    DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

    DD 4/5
    SC Level C

    #2
    Re: Prepping for evaluations

    Hi, Jen.

    You might find a list of their common tests on their website. If not, you can ask ahead of time.

    They might say something a little more nebulous than you would like, such as the fact that this will be determined during the evaluation, but this can be true. They have a "bag" of tests from which to choose. Some are standard; others might be selected to elucidate as they proceed.

    The "Essentials" series has a book on neuropsych testing, or you can find the more "commonly administered tests in a neuropsych assessment" through an online search.

    Ours almost always gave me parent behavior checklists and other normed measures to complete. This is the place you can note what you see at home, with friends, or in whatever setting they ask.

    Bring your list of developmental milestones for each child and review the other tips in the SC assessment chapters. If they fail to ask you for information you deem important, you can prepare a copy and hand it to them. Often they appreciate the help.

    Your call about the supplements. Early May is not that far away, so you might wait if you need stronger or more clear evidence of difficulties. On the other hand, if the supplements help them and you want to go ahead for the children's benefit, you can do so and tell the evaluator(s) what each child takes.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Prepping for evaluations

      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Hi, Jen.

      You might find a list of their common tests on their website. If not, you can ask ahead of time.

      They might say something a little more nebulous than you would like, such as the fact that this will be determined during the evaluation, but this can be true. They have a "bag" of tests from which to choose. Some are standard; others might be selected to elucidate as they proceed.

      The "Essentials" series has a book on neuropsych testing, or you can find the more "commonly administered tests in a neuropsych assessment" through an online search.

      Ours almost always gave me parent behavior checklists and other normed measures to complete. This is the place you can note what you see at home, with friends, or in whatever setting they ask.

      Bring your list of developmental milestones for each child and review the other tips in the SC assessment chapters. If they fail to ask you for information you deem important, you can prepare a copy and hand it to them. Often they appreciate the help.

      Your call about the supplements. Early May is not that far away, so you might wait if you need stronger or more clear evidence of difficulties. On the other hand, if the supplements help them and you want to go ahead for the children's benefit, you can do so and tell the evaluator(s) what each child takes.
      I have no idea where he’ll send us. I found two university-based clinics within a 1-3 hour drive but they don’t give specifics either. I have symptom lists for each as well as their infancy complications (pre-term, etc). I have no idea when their milestones happened except for the boys walking at 13-15 months — we moved halfway across the country when my 11yo was 3 months and the following two years were a blur trying to get used to a new state. Things kept getting worse every year or two after that with work, finances, health problems, etc. I marked down medical things that came up with the kids during that time, but that’s the only info I remember
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

      DS16
      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
      MPOA: High School Comp. II
      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

      DS15
      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
      HSC: Modern European History

      DS12
      7M with:
      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

      DS11
      SC Level 4

      DD9
      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

      DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

      DD 4/5
      SC Level C

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Prepping for evaluations

        That's ok. You have 7 children! Just bring whatever you have and be willing to answer their questions. That will be plenty.

        God's peace to you in all of this --.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Prepping for evaluations

          Ha! I only have three kids and when they asked about developmental milestones I was like, "Well, they're all walking now. I have no idea when they started but, I don't remember walking being an issue." And that was good enough. So, just note if you remember concerns. I remembered later in the interview that one of mine kept running into corners when she learned to walk. It was like a magnetic draw. She could walk across a room no problem. The hallway corner...hit it every time! So, I just said said, earlier you asked about walking...I remember this issue. That was good enough.

          I felt awful because I didn't remember those milestones. When did they first babble, when did they first eat, when did they first crawl. I have no idea...we were in survival mode. They did that sometime in their past! They can all talk, eat and walk now. I just listed my concerns that I had when they were younger. I listed my current concerns. That was good enough.
          Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

          DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
          DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
          DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

          We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Prepping for evaluations

            Originally posted by Colomama View Post
            Ha! I only have three kids and when they asked about developmental milestones I was like, "Well, they're all walking now. I have no idea when they started but, I don't remember walking being an issue." And that was good enough. So, just note if you remember concerns. I remembered later in the interview that one of mine kept running into corners when she learned to walk. It was like a magnetic draw. She could walk across a room no problem. The hallway corner...hit it every time! So, I just said said, earlier you asked about walking...I remember this issue. That was good enough.

            I felt awful because I didn't remember those milestones. When did they first babble, when did they first eat, when did they first crawl. I have no idea...we were in survival mode. They did that sometime in their past! They can all talk, eat and walk now. I just listed my concerns that I had when they were younger. I listed my current concerns. That was good enough.
            Thank you both -- that makes me feel much better!
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

            DS16
            MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
            MPOA: High School Comp. II
            HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

            DS15
            MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
            MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
            HSC: Modern European History

            DS12
            7M with:
            Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

            DS11
            SC Level 4

            DD9
            3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

            DD7/8
            Still in SC Level 2

            DD 4/5
            SC Level C

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Prepping for evaluations

              Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
              Thank you both -- that makes me feel much better!
              I am curious, how often do you ladies get your children tested? I had my boys (12 & 10) tested 2 1/2 yrs ago during my first year of homeschooling. I have done no formal testing since then. We did see a Neuropsychologist. The hard part for me was that they keep telling us that our eldest has such a high impulse issue that he doesn’t perform well in the tests. They told us that he has a higher potential. I still can’t figure out how to tap into his true potential.

              Best wishes in the testing! I have to fill out a parent form and a teacher form. That was hard to try and distinguish between the two. There are some definite differences though as I have children who really can break down when it comes to some school work.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Prepping for evaluations

                Originally posted by empokorski View Post
                I am curious, how often do you ladies get your children tested? I had my boys (12 & 10) tested 2 1/2 yrs ago during my first year of homeschooling. I have done no formal testing since then. We did see a Neuropsychologist. The hard part for me was that they keep telling us that our eldest has such a high impulse issue that he doesn’t perform well in the tests. They told us that he has a higher potential. I still can’t figure out how to tap into his true potential.

                Best wishes in the testing! I have to fill out a parent form and a teacher form. That was hard to try and distinguish between the two. There are some definite differences though as I have children who really can break down when it comes to some school work.

                That's a good question. I suppose we will revisit the issue sometime in middle school, then again in high school for documentation purposes. I've heard you have to have some recent documentation or a paper trail to qualify for accommodations for high stakes testing. (ACT/SAT).
                Plans for 2019-20

                DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS6 - 5 - MP K

                [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Prepping for evaluations

                  I just scheduled my son’s first evaluation in six years; next Tuesday at 9AM. The last time he was evaluated was for any physical or genetic issues (negative). Six months before that he was evaluated by an SLP (PDD-NOS). This one is for behavioral issues (he’s presenting anxiety, weepiness, depression, irritability, belligerence and aggression). We figure it’s better to do it now, at ten years old, than later when he’s pubescent and full of hormones.

                  Wish us luck. Taking your baby to a stranger to be put under a microscope rather feels like signing up for finding out everything that you’ve done — and are doing — wrong as a mom and educator. Of course, that’s not true... but it feels true.
                  Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
                  Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
                  Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
                  Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

                  “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                  ~Pope St John Paul II

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Prepping for evaluations

                    Ah, on the contrary, your efforts will be on display in a good way! Take the video of W and play it for them. Have him read aloud. Just think where he would be academically without everything you have accomplished with your son! From those early nonverbal years to the persistently echolalic stage to carrying on conversations -- tremendous gains, Anita.

                    The behavioral evals are always hard, because we know we aren't patient enough, strong enough, wise enough, or consistent enough to weather (or even foresee) the behavioral storms. Perfection cannot be the standard. If you focus not on how you have or have not handled him, but rather on what you see that concerns you, you will be fine.

                    It is hard to remember, but this is primarily about him as a patient/client, not you as a parent. You are already showing that you care about him simply by bringing him there. W. will need you to be confident -- "This will be very helpful for us to learn how best to help you, so you can be strong and healthy. This will help you in our family, in your schoolwork, at church, and in our new neighborhood."

                    Sometimes with my kiddos I compare learning about ourselves to a puzzle: You are a full human being, and this is just part of the puzzle of learning how you work best. This (doctor/therapist/neuropsychologist) will give us information that will be another good piece in the puzzle for us!

                    In other words, "We're not placing all our hope or trust in this evaluation, but we do plan to glean good, useful, important information about how to help make things a little easier or more successful for you."

                    Maybe switch out the coffee tomorrow for some chamomile tea, and just relax into knowing that you may be meeting someone who will become a good support for you. We all need that! (I look forward to our every-8-week visits in St. Louis with my kids' doctor. He catches things I miss and is a good listener.)

                    Praying you will learn something useful.

                    -- btw, Jeje, if you're reading, prayer for you, too, as I know you are learning results this week! All just a piece of the puzzle that is your child, a full person to love and be loved, no matter what you learn. In a way sometimes what you learn makes it a little easier --

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Prepping for evaluations

                      Originally posted by Anita View Post
                      I just scheduled my son’s first evaluation in six years; next Tuesday at 9AM. The last time he was evaluated was for any physical or genetic issues (negative). Six months before that he was evaluated by an SLP (PDD-NOS). This one is for behavioral issues (he’s presenting anxiety, weepiness, depression, irritability, belligerence and aggression). We figure it’s better to do it now, at ten years old, than later when he’s pubescent and full of hormones.

                      Wish us luck. Taking your baby to a stranger to be put under a microscope rather feels like signing up for finding out everything that you’ve done — and are doing — wrong as a mom and educator. Of course, that’s not true... but it feels true.

                      Anita,

                      I have seen your videos. They made me wish I had homeschooled from the beginning.There is no looking back now and my son has made gains these past three years. However, we are also in a behavioral situation and I am wondering what type if testing you are doing. Our son is impulsive and he back talks to me a lot lately. He has anxiety at times and he is just a button pusher to his family right now making everyone angry with him. I’m getting worn down trying to manage it all. I know we talk about that sometimes it isn’t intentional, but when he shouts OK at me and I ask him to restate, he will then look at me with a smile and say Yes, mom and then proceed to stick his tongue out at me as he is turning back. I then make him do it again and again until he can do it without the added barb. I don’t know what to do. I’m worried my other kids will become adults who loathe their brother. I don’t see that yet, but worried About the possibility. I’ll say a prayer for your evaluation! We used to go to so many of these. I have huge files of all the ones we did when my son was little. I finally stopped going. It was exhausting. Now I feel we need more.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Prepping for evaluations

                        Originally posted by empokorski View Post
                        Anita,

                        I have seen your videos. They made me wish I had homeschooled from the beginning.There is no looking back now and my son has made gains these past three years. However, we are also in a behavioral situation and I am wondering what type if testing you are doing. Our son is impulsive and he back talks to me a lot lately. He has anxiety at times and he is just a button pusher to his family right now making everyone angry with him. I’m getting worn down trying to manage it all. I know we talk about that sometimes it isn’t intentional, but when he shouts OK at me and I ask him to restate, he will then look at me with a smile and say Yes, mom and then proceed to stick his tongue out at me as he is turning back. I then make him do it again and again until he can do it without the added barb. I don’t know what to do. I’m worried my other kids will become adults who loathe their brother. I don’t see that yet, but worried About the possibility. I’ll say a prayer for your evaluation! We used to go to so many of these. I have huge files of all the ones we did when my son was little. I finally stopped going. It was exhausting. Now I feel we need more.
                        We are actually just doing a behavioral intake right now. I have no idea what that means or what the next step is. I mentioned to the center that my son has an intellectual disability, that we suspect autism (but that he has never been formally diagnosed with anything) and that he has been exhibiting signs of anxiety, depression and aggression. We will get an evaluation and recommendations based upon that for the time being. Our biggest concern is that he is approaching puberty (he’s 10) and we don’t want things to escalate without a plan (and possibly meds) in place. That’s it for right now.
                        Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
                        Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
                        Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
                        Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

                        “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                        ~Pope St John Paul II

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Prepping for evaluations

                          Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                          .

                          All just a piece of the puzzle that is your child, a full person to love and be loved, no matter what you learn. In a way sometimes what you learn makes it a little easier --
                          THIS ^^^^^

                          Thank you for this beautiful reminder. And yes, I agree that sometimes what you learn helps tremendously. Like a puzzle piece clicking --"NOW, I get it!"
                          Plans for 2019-20

                          DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                          DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                          DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                          DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                          DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                          DS6 - 5 - MP K

                          [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X