Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Dyselxia resources

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dyselxia resources

    I see that "essentials of dyslexia assessment" is listed as an optional educational resource on MP.

    Has anyone used this? I found one for about half price and wondered if it was a find worth buying.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

    DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

    We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

    #2
    Re: Dyselxia resources

    Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    I see that "essentials of dyslexia assessment" is listed as an optional educational resource on MP.

    Has anyone used this? I found one for about half price and wondered if it was a find worth buying.
    Sorry, I’m no help, but listening in.
    Katie

    2020/21: 7th year with MP
    DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
    DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
    DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
    Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Dyselxia resources

      Also following. I need to get a better foundation on resources for this.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

      2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Dyselxia resources

        The very best resource I've found, for my own knowledge of the subject, is this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

        It isn't cheap, but worth every penny.

        This video is a good but brief overview: https://youtu.be/5uoWMEC2bYQ
        They actually have a whole series of videos on the topic.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Dyselxia resources

          Oh, and for remediation we are having success with Abecedarian. It's very easy to use, and moves more quickly than Barton for those that are anxious to see progress. BUT - you need to use the extra materials that are on the website, not just the books. We forgot about those for a while and are now catching up - the extra practice is really valuable for dyslexics. I imagine a kid without dyslexia wouldn't need all the extras from the website.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Dyselxia resources

            Originally posted by ktgrok View Post
            The very best resource I've found, for my own knowledge of the subject, is this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

            It isn't cheap, but worth every penny.
            For most people who want to uncover the how's and why's of teaching reading to struggling readers quickly and inexpensively, our MP featured Phonics from A to Z is a strong alternative. I LOVE this book and wish there were a math version.

            Read Phonics from A to Z first, cover to cover, because it is much more than phonics. Apply the visual/auditory at-home techniques. You can do these yourself with success, just as Christine (howiecram) and Susan (sfhargett) and others have found.


            But yes, for anyone who wants to build a sturdy library on dyslexia and other researched learning difficulties, the Essentials series is in-depth and reputable. Choose updated editions.
            Last edited by cherylswope; 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              My favorite dyslexia resources

              Count me in the Sally Shaywitz and Susan Barton camps.

              I've listened to Overcoming Dyslexia (Shaywitz), and part of The Dyslexic Advantage. I much preferred Overcoming Dyslexia.

              Susan Barton has loads of videos for parents/educators. Heads up --she speaks slowly and enunciates her words very carefully. If you're an impatient person like me, it may drive you a little batty. Took me a while to become acclimated. She also hosts videos on her Facebook page regularly to answer questions.

              Another go to for me is Marianne Sunderland -- mom of 8 kids, 7 of whom are dyslexic. Her story is amazing, and she has such a laid back way of speaking. I know here virtually through a homeschooling network, and she was so helpful when I began to navigate testing, etc. She has resources, articles, and classes at Homeschooling with Dyslexia .
              Plans for 2020-21

              Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

              DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
              DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
              DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
              DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
              DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
              DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Dyselxia resources

                Good points, Dianna.

                To Colomama, our OP, the videos from Susan Barton and other free information may be plenty for now.

                It all depends on how deeply you want to read!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Dyselxia resources

                  Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  For most people who want to uncover the how's and why's of teaching reading to struggling readers quickly and inexpensively, our MP featured Phonics from A to Z is a strong alternative. I LOVE this book and wish there were a math version.

                  Read Phonics from A to Z first, cover to cover, because it is much more than phonics. Apply the visual/auditory at-home techniques. You can do these yourself with success, just as Christine (howiecram) and Susan (sfhargett) and others have found.


                  But yes, for anyone who wants to build a sturdy library on dyslexia and other researched learning difficulties, the Essentials series is in-depth and reputable. Choose updated editions.
                  Oh good! I'm actually waiting for a copy to be delivered from the library

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Dyselxia resources

                    After your student has progressed beyond Phonics From A to Z, there is a resource for continuing phonics instruction. Blevins penned Teaching Phonics & Word Study in the Intermediate Grades which is very helpful for grades 3 - 6. Our teachers use this book to enhance their spelling lessons and give extra practice should the need arise.

                    Blessings,
                    Michelle T

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Dyselxia resources

                      Yes! MP carries both Phonics From A to Z and Teaching Phonics & Word Study in the Intermediate Grades. Thanks, Michelle.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Dyselxia resources

                        Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                        Yes! MP carries both Phonics From A to Z and Teaching Phonics & Word Study in the Intermediate Grades. Thanks, Michelle.
                        These are both really good resources. Overcoming Dyslexia is one of my favorites, although I disagree with her assessment that only trained professionals can teach a child to read.

                        Both of my boys have dyslexia. The older is now a senior in college, and the younger is ten. Barton is what got them both "over the hump" and able to begin reading fluently. One of the weird things about dyslexia is how much it can vary from student to student. Both of my boys have the same "degree" of dyslexia, but they have different specific struggles. My younger son's dysgraphia is much more severe, while my older struggled much more with math facts. (He's now taking advanced calculus and majoring in physics )

                        Neither of them could stand to continue with Barton past Level 4. It became really tedious. I know some people do it, and I'm truly in awe of them, but we were all ready to move on.
                        Gina
                        Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
                        (since 2001)

                        DS-sophomore in college
                        DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
                        DD-9
                        DS-8

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Dyselxia resources

                          Originally posted by Gigi View Post
                          These are both really good resources. Overcoming Dyslexia is one of my favorites, although I disagree with her assessment that only trained professionals can teach a child to read.

                          Both of my boys have dyslexia. The older is now a senior in college, and the younger is ten. Barton is what got them both "over the hump" and able to begin reading fluently. One of the weird things about dyslexia is how much it can vary from student to student. Both of my boys have the same "degree" of dyslexia, but they have different specific struggles. My younger son's dysgraphia is much more severe, while my older struggled much more with math facts. (He's now taking advanced calculus and majoring in physics )

                          Neither of them could stand to continue with Barton past Level 4. It became really tedious. I know some people do it, and I'm truly in awe of them, but we were all ready to move on.
                          Gigi,
                          We got an official diagnosis of dyslexia and dysgraphia for my son about a month ago. (His identical twin brother does not have dyslexia, but likely auditory processing disorder) We used 2 levels of Barton before I gave up the ghost. Our psychologist suggested that we revisit Barton again, to fill in some gaps that he has.

                          I told him we were going to use Barton again soon, and asked what I could use as a reward. His answer? "A milkshake, Mom. That seriously deserves a milkshake."
                          I was worried he'd ask me for a car. Milkshakes are a piece of cake.
                          Plans for 2020-21

                          Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

                          DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
                          DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
                          DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
                          DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
                          DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
                          DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Dyselxia resources

                            Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                            Gigi,
                            We got an official diagnosis of dyslexia and dysgraphia for my son about a month ago. (His identical twin brother does not have dyslexia, but likely auditory processing disorder) We used 2 levels of Barton before I gave up the ghost. Our psychologist suggested that we revisit Barton again, to fill in some gaps that he has.

                            I told him we were going to use Barton again soon, and asked what I could use as a reward. His answer? "A milkshake, Mom. That seriously deserves a milkshake."
                            I was worried he'd ask me for a car. Milkshakes are a piece of cake.
                            Oh my goodness, that is so funny! LOL, he definitely deserves the best milkshake you can find!
                            Gina
                            Honored & Blessed to be teaching my children at home
                            (since 2001)

                            DS-sophomore in college
                            DD-soon-to-be college freshman!
                            DD-9
                            DS-8

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Dyselxia resources

                              Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                              Gigi,
                              We got an official diagnosis of dyslexia and dysgraphia for my son about a month ago. (His identical twin brother does not have dyslexia, but likely auditory processing disorder) We used 2 levels of Barton before I gave up the ghost. Our psychologist suggested that we revisit Barton again, to fill in some gaps that he has.

                              I told him we were going to use Barton again soon, and asked what I could use as a reward. His answer? "A milkshake, Mom. That seriously deserves a milkshake."
                              I was worried he'd ask me for a car. Milkshakes are a piece of cake.
                              *Sliding up geek glasses* Uhm, no, ma’am: milkshakes are milkshakes.
                              Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                              Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                              Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
                              The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

                              “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                              ~Pope St John Paul II

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X