Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Talk me into or out of the Phonics Flashcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me into or out of the Phonics Flashcards

My name is Katie and I'm a phonics addict, lol.

We are currently making great strides with Abecedarian B-2 with my dyslexic 2nd grader, but it doesn't teach "rules". It uses a phonographix approach. Like I said, it IS working when nothing else did (AAR, Ordinary Parents Guide, Progressive Phonics, etc) but I'm thinking some "rules" would help her too. I'm willing to over teach this! We may or may not switch programs when starting MP next year, but right now I'm looking at those phonics flashcards and thinking those would be a good start? Or would they be difficult to use without a guide of some sort to explain them? I'll be using them next year for my rising K child anyway so they'd get use for sure.

Thoughts?

And if anyone wants to jump in on the idea of switching to Classical Phonics vs Abecedarian if Abecedarian is working ,feel free.

Re: Talk me into or out of the Phonics Flashcards

Rather than switch to MP Phonics for your daughter, you might consider teaching from SC 2 Phonics/Reading with the phonogram cards. Reasons:
    1. You will be teaching from SC 2 anyway, so you will have the lesson plans within your SC 2 Curriculum Manual.
    2. As you mentioned, you will use Classical Phonics, MP Phonogram Cards, and more with your other child.
    3. You are right. "Over-teaching" through the O-G Moose Moments, Core Skills: Phonics, ALS reader, and our SC 2 Phonics/Reading plans can greatly assist, if not replace, your current program.
    4. In her early years, little will be more important than reading, spelling, and writing!
    5. The large print of the MP Phonogram Cards is easy on a struggling student's eyes and mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ktgrok View Post
      My name is Katie and I'm a phonics addict, lol.

We are currently making great strides with Abecedarian B-2 with my dyslexic 2nd grader, but it doesn't teach "rules". It uses a phonographix approach. Like I said, it IS working when nothing else did (AAR, Ordinary Parents Guide, Progressive Phonics, etc) but I'm thinking some "rules" would help her too. I'm willing to over teach this! We may or may not switch programs when starting MP next year, but right now I'm looking at those phonics flashcards and thinking those would be a good start? Or would they be difficult to use without a guide of some sort to explain them? I'll be using them next year for my rising K child anyway so they'd get use for sure.

Thoughts?

And if anyone wants to jump in on the idea of switching to Classical Phonics vs Abecedarian if Abecedarian is working ,feel free.

I am actually getting a set for both my MK’er and MP 1st. I am almost considering a third for the SC4’er, but not so sure on that one.

In MPK and SC2, they are scheduled and there would be some overlap. It might be frustrating to work out of one set. I think the phonics book “Classical Phonics” would be fine to just have one.
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Rather than switch to MP Phonics for your daughter, you might consider teaching from SC 2 Phonics/Reading with the phonogram cards. Reasons:
        1. You will be teaching from SC 2 anyway, so you will have the lesson plans within your SC 2 Curriculum Manual.
        2. As you mentioned, you will use Classical Phonics, MP Phonogram Cards, and more with your other child.
        3. You are right. "Over-teaching" through the O-G Moose Moments, Core Skills: Phonics, ALS reader, and our SC 2 Phonics/Reading plans can greatly assist, if not replace, your current program.
        4. In her early years, little will be more important than reading, spelling, and writing!
        5. The large print of the MP Phonogram Cards is easy on a struggling student's eyes and mind.
        I second this, heartily. Cheryl said it so well, I really don’t have much to add except to elaborate that SC2 is incremental, steadily and gently-paced and very thorough. The flash cards are used, used and used again with great teachability. TIP: Just be sure to pull out all the ones you need for the entire week in advance and put them on a ring for ease of use. The specific number of each flash card is listed in the lesson plans. This is a gigantic help, since the stack of phonics flash cards is rather LARGE.
        Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
        Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
        Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
        The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
        ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          I am actually getting a set for both my MK’er and MP 1st. I am almost considering a third for the SC4’er, but not so sure on that one.

In MPK and SC2, they are scheduled and there would be some overlap. It might be frustrating to work out of one set. I think the phonics book “Classical Phonics” would be fine to just have one.

Very good point, Christine. Separate stacks of cards divided ahead of time per Anita's instructions, would be the most efficient, effective way to teach each student and keep everything organized.

Comment

Very good point, Christine. Separate stacks of cards divided ahead of time per Anita's instructions, would be the most efficient, effective way to teach each student and keep everything organized.
            A little request: I wonder if we can do a “week in preview” in future Teachers Manuals, especially in the lower Levels (?). Something as simple as “Materials needed for this week...” and a short list. That would be of particular help to moms teaching SCA-C (with their heavy emphases on crafts) and SC1-2 with flash cards and Nature Journal outings. I realize it’s not terribly difficult to just read ahead in the TM, but I always found myself going through the TM every weekend to search, highlight and list materials for the coming week. With more than one student (and special needs to boot) that took some time and brain power.

Just a thought
            Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
            Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
            Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
            The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
            ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Ok, so I'm talked into them, lol.

Now I'm wondering if I should order a set of lesson plans to start using them right away, use them on their own right now as they come up in her current program, or just wait until the fall when we start SC2/SC3.

What she needs review on most right now are vowel teams, like ea, ai, etc. And probably diphthongs as well. And some common, less decodable words.

Would it work to just pull out what I want to use for now, work on those, then start over again with SC2 reading in the fall?
              Last edited by ktgrok; 03-27-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anita View Post
                A little request: I wonder if we can do a “week in preview” in future Teachers Manuals, especially in the lower Levels (?). Something as simple as “Materials needed for this week...” and a short list. That would be of particular help to moms teaching SCA-C (with their heavy emphases on crafts) and SC1-2 with flash cards and Nature Journal outings. I realize it’s not terribly difficult to just read ahead in the TM, but I always found myself going through the TM every weekend to search, highlight and list materials for the coming week. With more than one student (and special needs to boot) that took some time and brain power.

Just a thought
                Yes! We can do this. Thanks for the idea.

The next levels 5-6, 7-8 are currently under construction and the most pressing, but I intend to go back through A-4 with a view to making such little improvements. When the time comes, I'll post a request for requests. We can add this to the list!

Comment

Originally posted by ktgrok View Post
                  Ok, so I'm talked into them, lol.

Now I'm wondering if I should order a set of lesson plans to start using them right away, use them on their own right now as they come up in her current program, or just wait until the fall when we start SC2/SC3.

What she needs review on most right now are vowel teams, like ea, ai, etc. And probably diphthongs as well. And some common, less decodable words.

Would it work to just pull out what I want to use for now, work on those, then start over again with SC2 reading in the fall?
                  Have you seen FSR E? This works on those vowel teams and common words. You might teach it orally now with the cards and then revisit in the fall.

Comment

Have you seen FSR E? This works on those vowel teams and common words. You might teach it orally now with the cards and then revisit in the fall.
                    That sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                    X