Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Dyslexic student - A few questions about making Memoria Press work for her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dyslexic student - A few questions about making Memoria Press work for her

I like your idea even better: SC 3 this year.

In SC 3 she receives a good biographical overview of American history, which is thoroughly grade-appropriate for her, yet, as you said, she will be tackling the literature reading more independently than she ever could with either SC 4 or MP 3.

After SC 3, you can decide whether to press forward with MP 3 or stay with the "safety net" of a more graduated approach in SC 4.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      I like your idea even better: SC 3 this year.

In SC 3 she receives a good biographical overview of American history, which is thoroughly grade-appropriate for her, yet, as you said, she will be tackling the literature reading more independently than she ever could with either SC 4 or MP 3.

After SC 3, you can decide whether to press forward with MP 3 or stay with the "safety net" of a more graduated approach in SC 4.
      That sounds really good! And a bit less scattered. So phonics/spelling on our own, Writing and Christian Studies with SC2, and the rest with SC3. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

And now to figure out what I need for my rising K kid, lol.

Comment

So after watching the video for Traditional Phonics I'm sold on the Memoria Press way of doing spelling. So now the question is, do the version of spelling in Simply Classical 2, or Traditional Spelling 1? Also, should I wait until the fall or start something now? We will do some school over the summer.
        Last edited by ktgrok; 03-30-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Traditional Spelling draws from some of the elements in both SC Spelling and SC Writing, so it is well suited to our SC students; however, its word progression is a steep climb for our younger SC students.

For this reason we teach from the more incremental SC Spelling and SC Writing in SC 2 and 3. We take more time with simple consonant blends, for example, as Key Words through phonics. We take more time with simple step-by-step composition. We review more often. We also focus more on sight words and common words (SC Spelling's Words to Know) to accelerate the student's accuracy and confidence in his own writing.

(A side tip: Keep a good list of her missed Words to Know and save those to review during Traditional Spelling when the time comes!)

By SC 4, our SC students are primed and ready for the full course of Traditional Spelling Book One, so this is where we place Traditional Spelling.

Of course everything is customizable, so stronger spellers could begin Traditional Spelling sooner. Just know that it moves quickly -- too quickly for most of our SC 2 students. After reviewing many, many alternatives, we think Traditional Spelling is the perfect fit for our primed-and-ready SC 4 students!

You asked what to do over the spring and summer. If it were me, I would continue mainly 1) her oral reading, 2) your oral reading to her. You might look at the recommended books in the MP K or 1 Summer Reading lists and begin now so you can take a more relaxed pace if needed. You can pull phonetic spelling words from her readers to use as dictation and use the essential dictation techniques from the back of SC Spelling Book One.

If you like something more sequential and open-and-go, you might look at the book we use in SC: Core Skills: Spelling K. This would help catch her up to the SC students' encoding progression.

Or ... if you have fallen in love with Traditional Spelling and want to begin now, do so! Just allow yourself two weeks per lesson whenever needed. By the time you are ready to begin SC Spelling One in the fall, she will be ahead! Then, when SC 4 Traditional Spelling One rolls around again, it can all be an excellent, faster-paced refresher for her.

You steer the ship, so you can choose whichever course you would like!
          Last edited by cherylswope; 03-31-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I like the color coding and marking used in Traditional Spelling - is something similar done in SC spelling?

Also, I don't see the Core Skills Spelling K anywhere, just Phonics K or Spelling 1. Did you mean one of those? She's having a big leap right now with her abilities and I want to keep us moving forward, but also be realistic about the pace we use. I'll look at the lower levels and see what is used so she can be prepared for success. I've also ordered the teacher's manual for First Start Reading to be sure we cover all those skill before the fall. And the phonics flash cards

Comment

Ah, yes. You would want CS: Phonics K or 1 to "catch up." We cover these in SC 1.

You will cover CS: Spelling 1 in SC 2.

This is an exciting time, as she begins to learn to read and makes progress you can see. You are wise to fill in gaps and take a targeted approach moving forward. Happy for you --

Comment

To answer your other question -- we do not use color coding in SC Spelling, but we do in SC Writing.

Comment

Working...
                X