Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Dyslexic student - A few questions about making Memoria Press work for her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyslexic student - A few questions about making Memoria Press work for her

My daughter just turned 8 and is in 2nd grade. She reads at maybe a young 1st grade level right now and has been diagnosed with dyslexia. We used some Barton and are now making amazing progress with Abecedarian (a phonographic method) and want to continue with that. She's been using their reading and I just ordered the spelling as well. She can read Step Into Reading level 1 books, and can struggle through a level 2 book with help. Her read aloud stamina is also below grade level I think, but improving. She can now listen to a full chapter of a Little House book or Trixie Belden book (my personal favorite series) without stopping, and has rarely asked for more. (but two chapters in a row would be too much for her). The oldest has ADHD so that is very much a possibility as well.

We use CLE for math. She's on grade level there and finds math very easy but I have to read the word problems and directions for her.

She is learning cursive now with Seton's Handwriting for Young Catholics and seems to be at grade level, no dysgraphia.

History is currently listening to TAN Story of Civilization and/or The Story of the World in the car, and discussing periodically. She narrates orally fairly well, and can describe to her father at night what we learned. Science is sometimes from a book, often a documentary, or nature walks, etc. Very interest led as we all love science here.

I'd like to use Memoria Press for 3rd grade next year and am wondering if it would work if I did the reading as a read aloud, rather than having her read it herself? So using the Greek Mythology, the American Studies package, and Christian Studies (maybe). We are Catholic and may do our own thing there. We'd keep using Abecedarian for phonics and spelling. Would this work, or should I be looking at Simply Classical instead, and if so at what level?

Also, she would need help with the workbooks, could we do those orally with me scribing for her until she's able to read and spell more easily?

Should we maybe combine some parts of Simply Classical and some from the regular curriculum?
    Last edited by ktgrok; 03-19-2018, 11:17 AM.

Re: Dyslexic student - A few questions about making Memoria Press work for her

Hello! Do you know about our free online SC readiness assessments?

Based on the information you provided, you might want to take the full assessments for SC Levels 1, 2, & 3 here:

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Let us know the results. We would be happy to help you think through proper placement in SC, MP, or a combination. The SC assessments will be a helpful start!

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Hello! Do you know about our free online SC readiness assessments?

Based on the information you provided, you might want to take the full assessments for SC Levels 1, 2, & 3 here:

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Let us know the results. We would be happy to help you think through proper placement in SC, MP, or a combination. The SC assessments will be a helpful start!
      She would fall into level 2 for reading/writing I think. She can do all the things listed in level 2. On the level 3 assessment she can read words like said, but not spell it yet. She can read silent e words, but I don't think she could spell them (but maybe..will try tomorrow). She really would struggle with the short chapter books listed..sounding them out but not fluently yet. She can definitely copy a sentence properly and accurately but would struggle writing one on her own I think, due to spelling issues. She understands basic punctuation. She has good handwriting in manuscript and is just starting to learn cursive.

She easily passes the rest of the level 3 assessment and is probably above grade level for math, actually. If given direction she can work independently to finish a lesson in math or handwriting or whatever. She does need breaks after each subject or at least after each harder subject.

Comment

Yes, your plan could work! As you know, you want both accommodations (scribing, modifying lessons) and remediation (targeting the needed areas) while giving her a strong education.

SC Writing Book One, Bible, would be a very good intro to composition for her. It works well with A Child's Garden of Bible Stories which would assist any of your own additional Christian Studies. (The Read-Aloud version works with a set weekly read-alouds that she might enjoy, if you prefer this.)

If you wanted to use our SC 2 Cursive plans, you would receive the multi-sensory cursive lesson plans teaching from NAC 1.

You can keep your own spelling, math, etc., and teach the remaining MP 3 as you intend.

My only additional tips:
        1. Wait on MP 3 Latin. Next year consider teaching from MP 2 or SC 4 Prima Latina, if not MP 3 LC.

2. For MP 3 literature you might read to her as you suggested, but consider having her follow along in her own book.

3. For the Literature Study Guides, do more than mere scribing. For at least 1-2 of the answers, construct (through discussion) a good, rich, well-written answer together on the board. Then have her copy those answer(s) into the guide herself. For other questions, you may use the guide as an oral discussion leader. Simply write "oral" in the blanks of those you discuss, so the book appears complete to her in the end. If time permits, you may scribe those answers, but do not feel as though you must do so.

Then we can help you plan next year when the time comes!

Comment

Wow, THANK YOU!

I actually ordered the writing book you mentioned last night, after looking at it, and I think it will be perfect for her!!!

The rest sounds great, and I SO appreciate the tips on HOW to modify things. Amazing. Thank you so much! I'm a former English major and a published author and lover of books and so getting a dyslexia diagnosis was....difficult. Also, the oldest has ASD so she was supposed to be the "easy" one, lol But she has impressed me so much with her work ethic and attitude, and I'm grateful every day that I can be home with her to help her in whatever ways she needs. Thank you for assisting me with that
          Last edited by ktgrok; 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Ok, just clarifying, for 3rd grade next year you'd suggest Prima Latina? We are in no rush for Latin, so if that's the simplest place to start to set us up for success that is what we will do Are there different lesson plans for it for SC vs MP or all the same?

Comment

Yes, the plans are slightly different. Prima would be covered in MP2 or SC4.

The SC plans include game ideas, and more VAKT (multi modal learning) suggestions. I would do SC4 plans in your situation.
              Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
              DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
              DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                Yes, the plans are slightly different. Prima would be covered in MP2 or SC4.

The SC plans include game ideas, and more VAKT (multi modal learning) suggestions. I would do SC4 plans in your situation.
                I see Prima in both SC3 and SC4 - would the lesson plans be the same either way?

Also, for science, I thought Astronomy was scheduled in MP3, but now I'm seeing Mammals there? And not seeing Astronomy anywhere - maybe I got it confused? Astronomy seems to match up to mythology but maybe there is a reason for the change? We'd probably do most of it orally either way. Right now most of our science is documentaries and real life nature exploration.

Comment

Originally posted by ktgrok View Post
                  I see Prima in both SC3 and SC4 - would the lesson plans be the same either way?

Also, for science, I thought Astronomy was scheduled in MP3, but now I'm seeing Mammals there? And not seeing Astronomy anywhere - maybe I got it confused? Astronomy seems to match up to mythology but maybe there is a reason for the change? We'd probably do most of it orally either way. Right now most of our science is documentaries and real life nature exploration.
                  SC3 Prima is merely introductory! It only covers the first 5 lessons. SC4, begins at the beginning and contains all the lessons.

MP has modified the homeschool pace at 3rd grade and split 3rd content subjects over two years. (LC, Christian Studies and States and Capitals.). Literature, math, spelling are on grade level and they actually had to add Mammals. Astronomy is now scheduled in 4th or 4th for New Users.
                  Christine

(2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                  DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                    SC3 Prima is merely introductory! It only covers the first 5 lessons. SC4, begins at the beginning and contains all the lessons.

MP has modified the homeschool pace at 3rd grade and split 3rd content subjects over two years. (LC, Christian Studies and States and Capitals.). Literature, math, spelling are on grade level and they actually had to add Mammals. Astronomy is now scheduled in 4th or 4th for New Users.
                    Thank you! So I will need the SC4 Prima Latina! And Astronomy will be in 4th, got it!

Comment

I forgot to ask about recitations....should I do them and from which level? We did some of the Jr K one forever and ever ago I think....but it's been a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ktgrok View Post
                        I forgot to ask about recitations....should I do them and from which level? We did some of the Jr K one forever and ever ago I think....but it's been a long time.
                        Can you clarify your plan? Are you thinking SC2 phonics/SC4 Prima and MP3 for Christian, Greek Myths, etc?
                        Christine

(2019/2020)
                        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                          Can you clarify your plan? Are you thinking SC2 phonics/SC4 Prima and MP3 for Christian, Greek Myths, etc?
                          For phonics we are going to stick with Abecedarian, just because after trying so many things, it's actually working REALLY well. So....I think?

Phonics - Abecedarian
                          Spelling - Abecedarian
                          Handwriting - New American Cursive or continue with Seton for this, not sure
                          Writing - Sentence by Sentence book, the Bible Story edition, from SC2
                          Christian Studies - is there enough with the Garden of Bible Stories book that goes with the Sentence by Sentence writing?. Or should I use Christian Studies 1 from MP3 as well? Or hold off on Christian Studies 1 until we are done with Garden of Bible Stories. Plus we listen to The Story of the Bible in the car, and she attends weekly classes at our Parish
                          American Studies - MP3 50 states course, plus either SC3 or MP3 supplemental, not sure? Would be read aloud to her either way.
                          Classical Studies - Mythology from MP3, read aloud to her
                          Science - Mammals from MP3
                          Latin - Prima Latina from SC4

Art / Music I'm not sure of
                          Timeline Cars from MP3? Good idea?
                          Recitation? Or not yet, focus on getting reading up to speed for now?

Literature -Maybe just the MP3 read aloud novels, plus beginner readers at her level. She's just not ready at this point to read more than that.
                          Last edited by ktgrok; 03-23-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

If you want to keep it easy on yourself, you might look at SC 4 for your enrichment. Her reading, spelling, and writing take priority right now!

Consider this:
                            SC 2 Recitations
                            SC 2 Writing, Bible
                            SC 2 Christian Studies
                            SC 2 Copybook (has coordinating Scr memory)
                            SC 4 Literature Studies
                            SC 4 Prima Latina
                            SC 4 Classical Studies: Myths
                            SC 4 Mammals (same materials as MP 3 but coordinating lesson plans with everything else you will do)
                            SC 4 NAC 2 Cursive

After this year, you could begin MP 3-6 much more fully, as intended, with Christian Studies, D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, etc., but she would have a stronger foundation.

Remember that dyslexia affects language, not just phonics/reading. I would work on firming her foundations this year in reading, spelling, writing -- no matter how you teach these -- and let the enrichment not overshadow her real need right now.

I had not realized it until you laid out your overview, but if she begins full MP 3-6 the following year -- or our SC 5+ which is patterned after MP 3-6 -- you will have much less modifying, and her mind/knowledge/skills will be better suited to those pursuits.

SC 4 Classical Studies gives you myths in a "multum non multa" (much deeply, not many in a shallow way), and she needs this approach right now.
                            SC 4 Mammals is targeted and deep with writing, drawing, and science woven together.
                            SC 4 NAC 2 Cursive includes writing assignments.
                            The SC 4 Curriculum Guide gives you vocabulary, comprehension questions, and everything to teach Mammals & Myths. (It is an Enrichment Guide hidden inside the Curriculum Guide!)

I think this will be far more affordable, far easier to teach, far more cohesive, and will make more sense in your daughter's mind.

Your call, of course, but consider this as a valid and possibly more satisfying option for both of you.
                            Last edited by cherylswope; 03-23-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Hmm...she still wouldn't be able to read the literature selections, do you mean for me to read them to her? I'm thinking no matter what I'm going to have to do that. (Today she read 10 Apples Up on Top and had to take a break in the middle). Are there discussion questions and such in the curriculum guide for the literature in SC4?

And then after SC4 do MP3 in fourth grade? Or would that be redundant? I know mammals is scheduled in both...but I could switch the science out for something else at that point I imagine. Or did you mean go into MP4 for fourth? Or would it make more sense to do SC3 rather than SC4 and then figure out what to do after that? She MIGHT be up to reading some of the literature in SC3, or buddy reading it with me doing a page and her doing a page, by then. Sorry, I'm a bit sleep deprived from a teething baby
                              Last edited by ktgrok; 03-23-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X