Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Kinda new here and I've got some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda new here and I've got some questions

Hello All,

I'm hoping I can pick your collective brains as I try and gather what I need to come back to a latin centered curriculum. I've been homeschooling for 17 years and 4 of my 5 kids have graduated. My youngest is 12 and he has a few issues. He has dysgraphia, anxiety, and some sensory issues. We used MP for K-3 and he did almot all of it orally- he is fantastic at memorizing facts. For 4th grade-6th grade I switched to Oak Meadow hoping that a more hands on approach might be better for him. I still did MP lit studies and FMR during that time. We school year round and his motor skills have improved enough that I'd like him to start writing out his own work. So although we went through Fable, most of Narrative and 5th grade Lit orally I'm thinking of going backwards a bit until we get hm trained to get his own thoughts on paper. Although he remembers quite a bit from his studies I didn't require mastery and that's on me.
    His OT had him learn italic cursive and it looks ok, but I think he should start actual cursive although he is reluctant. I ordered Intro to Comp and thought we'd start with 2 lessons a week and require him to write his own answers. We're doing First Form and he is typing his answers into a google doc for me. I also ordered a new copy of States and Capitals so we can review them before we begin full MP 7th grade next Fall. I think I'm rambling a bit- I guess it comes down to figuring out how much handwriting I can expect from him in the long run. Is typing a good long term choice? I'm basically scribing in almost every subject and I'm not sure if its because that is what I should be doing or because he is the youngest and I've got plenty of time to do so.
    Homeschooling since the dark ages of 2001

14 yo son- MP 8th grade
    Four graduates (20,23,25,27)

Re: Kinda new here and I've got some questions

For the reluctant older cursive student you might try the new Teach Yourself Cursive from MP. Yes, it would be good to transition at 12 from scribing to more of a combination of 1) his own handwriting and 2) now (or eventually) typing.

Comment

That sounds great. I'm wondering if anyone else would be willing to chime in about their experiences with getting kids up to speed with the physical act of writing. His OT doesn't feel like it matters at all. Typing is all he needs and since he is fast at that it's. Non issue with her. I'm not ready to give up on it entirely.

14 yo son- MP 8th grade

Comment

We use a Chromebook for writing. My two oldest, who have graduated from homeschool and college, both had dysgraphia. For them, learning to type was more than adequate for getting their thoughts on paper. Remember, in college, all papers will need to be written on the computer anyway.

For my 15yo, she will have to have speech to text due to severe learning disabilities. I've already contacted colleges and they have all the helps in place to allow her to attend college using her adaptive tech without issue.

For my 13yo, he has tremors and will need to use a computer to write.

If your child had problems seeing, would you still require him to learn how to see without the use of glasses? Adaptive tech is there for those with disabilities and can allow them to live completely normal lives. I'd use it.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't spend time on their weaknesses, it just means that I don't expect them to use those weaknesses in other areas of their learning. So, having him practice cursive is great, but expecting him to use that cursive to write original thoughts down, well that's another thing entirely.

Just my 2 cents.

Blessings,
        Lisa
        Lisa in Jax
        Mom to:
        Allison (28 graduated from homeschool)
        Jonathan (26 graduated from homeschool)
        Genevieve (18 graduated from homeschool)
        Isaac (15 using MP 7)
        Sophia (13 using MP 5th grade)
        David (10 using MP 3rd grade)
        Charlotte (8 might be using MP1 or SC2)
        Layla (6yo granddaughter using MP 1)

Comment

Lisa,
          I agree. I guess I'm flummoxed with the attitude of not trying at all. I'm an optimist. He may never have great handwriting, but at some point he may need to hand write thoughts on paper and I'm trying to figure out a gentle way of prepping for that. I think my idea of using some workbooks from the lower grades will help and if it doesn't work at all, that's okay.

Jen

14 yo son- MP 8th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Recreationalscholar View Post
            Lisa,
            I agree. I guess I'm flummoxed with the attitude of not trying at all. I'm an optimist. He may never have great handwriting, but at some point he may need to hand write thoughts on paper and I'm trying to figure out a gentle way of prepping for that. I think my idea of using some workbooks from the lower grades will help and if it doesn't work at all, that's okay.

Jen
            I sure understand. I just spent so much time trying to bring those deficits up, that I missed out on actual learning at their intellectual level. So, I'd say, if it only takes a little time each day to work on those skills and your child is willing, then go for it. If you child isn't willing or you are planning to spend lots of time on these skills, then I'd say that you might make his learning a little off balance. Remember, he is still intellectually ready for harder material, he just needs to work on it in a different manner. I hope you have a great year! (This is only my two cents, but backed up by my child's developmental psychologist, who said, that we had spent enough time on trying to fix those disabilities and that it was time to accept them and move on. )

Blessings,
            Lisa
            Lisa in Jax
            Mom to:
            Allison (28 graduated from homeschool)
            Jonathan (26 graduated from homeschool)
            Genevieve (18 graduated from homeschool)
            Isaac (15 using MP 7)
            Sophia (13 using MP 5th grade)
            David (10 using MP 3rd grade)
            Charlotte (8 might be using MP1 or SC2)
            Layla (6yo granddaughter using MP 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Recreationalscholar View Post
              Hello All,

I'm hoping I can pick your collective brains as I try and gather what I need to come back to a latin centered curriculum. I've been homeschooling for 17 years and 4 of my 5 kids have graduated. My youngest is 12 and he has a few issues. He has dysgraphia, anxiety, and some sensory issues. We used MP for K-3 and he did almot all of it orally- he is fantastic at memorizing facts. For 4th grade-6th grade I switched to Oak Meadow hoping that a more hands on approach might be better for him. I still did MP lit studies and FMR during that time. We school year round and his motor skills have improved enough that I'd like him to start writing out his own work. So although we went through Fable, most of Narrative and 5th grade Lit orally I'm thinking of going backwards a bit until we get hm trained to get his own thoughts on paper. Although he remembers quite a bit from his studies I didn't require mastery and that's on me.
              His OT had him learn italic cursive and it looks ok, but I think he should start actual cursive although he is reluctant. I ordered Intro to Comp and thought we'd start with 2 lessons a week and require him to write his own answers. We're doing First Form and he is typing his answers into a google doc for me. I also ordered a new copy of States and Capitals so we can review them before we begin full MP 7th grade next Fall. I think I'm rambling a bit- I guess it comes down to figuring out how much handwriting I can expect from him in the long run. Is typing a good long term choice? I'm basically scribing in almost every subject and I'm not sure if its because that is what I should be doing or because he is the youngest and I've got plenty of time to do so.
              Good morning! I was traveling during this conversation. How are you feeling about this now?

I LOVE that you are ready to work on his writing! We were in a very similar situation with "experts" telling us to avoid writing, switch to keyboarding, etc. And my daughter was only age 5! ("She'll never write well. Get her on the computer from the beginning.") I could not accept that. I'm all for modifications, but not to the point of limiting the student.

Like you, we are optimistic and believe that students can achieve far more over time than many "experts" believe. In fairness, your OT may not typically encounter such a hard-working mother!

If Teach Yourself Cursive looks too daunting for him, NAC 2 could be a good place to start for reviewing basics and improving legibility. You can use StartWrite to create added practice sheets tailored to his academic lessons, if you want.

If you want to give him daily reflective practice with his cursive, or if he struggles at all with discouragement, doubt, or self-pity, My Thankfulness Journals can be a nice addition to his day.

Rather than scribing so much for him, I would switch to oral discussion. He is at an age where this is fully reasonable. Speaking in full sentences, defending positions, analyzing orally -- all of these can be accomplished through discussion. As mentioned in a previous post on another thread, write "oral" on any pages for which you do this. At 12, he begins to need to "own" his work. In my opinion, Mom should scribe less and less now, as he learns his own strategies for accommodation. It can be important for a young person to feel (and be) more responsible.

I think your struggle is related to a wise desire for both accommodations (typing, oral discussion, lightening the writing load) AND remediation (teaching him to write!) You do want both.

Be encouraged! Teach him to type. Yes, he will need this. Incorporate typing in his assignments, as with FFL, like you are doing. Teach him to use grammar check, spell check, and other tools in his work. And also teach him the physical act of writing, both penmanship and written expression.

I like your idea of revisiting Fable, but with him as writer. You can use the Fable-Narrative combo MP offers.

After you embark on this, we would love to see samples of his work if he is willing to share!

Comment

Btw, I am very thankful we did not heed the "all-tech, no-writing" advice!

Attached, I quietly captured this photo of my daughter (now almost 23) this morning.

She can write more beautifully when needed, especially if the paper is lined.

Today she writes volumes on scraps of paper she finds, just for the joy of writing.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cherylswope; 03-21-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  Btw, I am very thankful we did not heed the "all-tech, no-writing" advice!

Attached, I quietly captured this photo of my daughter (now almost 23) this morning.

She can write more beautifully when needed, especially if the paper is lined.

Today she writes volumes on scraps of paper she finds, just for the joy of writing.
                  Cheryl is being a bit modest here. Michelle is, in fact, the published author of two volumes of original poetry
                  Through Time’s Looking Glass https://www.amazon.com/Through-Times.../dp/1615383840
                  And God’s Harvest https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Harvest-.../dp/1615388907

Michelle has also been featured on more than one syndicated radio program.

Suffice to say: I also heartily agree with steering away from keyboarding and engaging in actual writing with pen, pencil and paper. This has been extremely rewarding for my own children. My oldest child is significantly delayed but his cursive is — objectively! — magnificent.
                  Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                  Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                  Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
                  The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                  ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Ah good, I'm glad that my inclination to at least give this a try is not totally misguided. I've just made my third MP order in a month as I attempt to get things situated. We school year round so its no big deal to begin new materials now. I also signed up to attend Sodalitas! I'm psyched about that (and not just because I really want to buy a mug!) Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Jen

14 yo son- MP 8th grade

Comment

Working...
                    X