Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Setting up a new house/ schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a new house/ schedule

Hello ladies!

I have 3 boys age 10, 9, 5. The 10yo and 5yo are pretty normal kids - my 9yo struggles. He hasn't been tested yet (getting there...), but I strongly suspect ADHD, sensory issues, and dyslexia. He is distracted by everything, is impulsive, takes ridiculous amounts of time on tasks, has atrocious spelling/manuscript, is often fatigued, etc. Positives include a sweet, affectionate heart, a strong faith, a talent with music (violin), and a newfound love of reading!

We moved to a new state last year, and this whole year has been chaos with the emotional turmoil from moving, the distractions of road trips, and illnesses. We are in a tiny 900 sqft house, the road is not safe for the kids to ride bikes, and we are still making friends. It's been a tough year! This summer though, we are buying a house - three bedrooms upstairs, finished basement, fenced yard, woods across the street. I have a clean slate and time to prepare, and I'm looking for ideas in setting up house and routine that can set us up for a smoother year.

This is what I've come up with so far, but I'm happy for any other ideas from you experienced mamas!
    --Keep the boys' bedroom very simple - beds, dressers, and a bookshelf. Little to nothing else.
    --Keep only books/supplies that are being used this year in the school room. No distracting extra books, art supplies, etc.
    --All toys/games/extra books to be kept only in the basement, and no one goes to the basement until school/music/chores are done.
    --Walk to Mass in the morning (the house is 0.3 miles from my husband's work and a chapel where we can go to daily Mass). This gets everyone up and dressed, and outside and moving early in the day.
    --Afternoon read/rest time. Perhaps not in bed since all three boys share a bedroom, and they're likely to chatter.
    Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
    9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
    8th grade - 8M with modifications
    4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Re: Setting up a new house/ schedule

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
    Hello ladies!

I have 3 boys age 10, 9, 5. The 10yo and 5yo are pretty normal kids - my 9yo struggles. He hasn't been tested yet (getting there...), but I strongly suspect ADHD, sensory issues, and dyslexia. He is distracted by everything, is impulsive, takes ridiculous amounts of time on tasks, has atrocious spelling/manuscript, is often fatigued, etc. Positives include a sweet, affectionate heart, a strong faith, a talent with music (violin), and a newfound love of reading!

We moved to a new state last year, and this whole year has been chaos with the emotional turmoil from moving, the distractions of road trips, and illnesses. We are in a tiny 900 sqft house, the road is not safe for the kids to ride bikes, and we are still making friends. It's been a tough year! This summer though, we are buying a house - three bedrooms upstairs, finished basement, fenced yard, woods across the street. I have a clean slate and time to prepare, and I'm looking for ideas in setting up house and routine that can set us up for a smoother year.

This is what I've come up with so far, but I'm happy for any other ideas from you experienced mamas!
    --Keep the boys' bedroom very simple - beds, dressers, and a bookshelf. Little to nothing else.
    --Keep only books/supplies that are being used this year in the school room. No distracting extra books, art supplies, etc.
    --All toys/games/extra books to be kept only in the basement, and no one goes to the basement until school/music/chores are done.
    --Walk to Mass in the morning (the house is 0.3 miles from my husband's work and a chapel where we can go to daily Mass). This gets everyone up and dressed, and outside and moving early in the day.
    --Afternoon read/rest time. Perhaps not in bed since all three boys share a bedroom, and they're likely to chatter.
    I think you’re on the right track here! One thing I would be hesitant to do is have them in the basement — especially with impulsivity I’ve found it best to keep everyone no more than one room away from me.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

Oh, one more thing: with the boys getting older, rest time is best had in a less isolated place. The things we have to think about as mothers of boys! *sigh*
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
      DS18: Almost done!
      DS17: MP, MPOA
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD9: SC3
      DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
        Oh, one more thing: with the boys getting older, rest time is best had in a less isolated place. The things we have to think about as mothers of boys! *sigh*
        Yes, I am thinking the 5yo can rest in bed, the 10yo on the couch, and the 9yo in whatever room I'm in... They have no tech access without my fingerprint, so that part isn't a concern, but still.

I do wonder about keeping my sensory/impulsive kid in the same bedroom as his brothers, especially as they get just a bit older. Unless we got a murphy bed or something in the school room, though, there just isn't another bedroom space.
        Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
        4th grade - 4A

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
          One thing I would be hesitant to do is have them in the basement — especially with impulsivity I’ve found it best to keep everyone no more than one room away from me.
          I'll have to think about this logistically. Perhaps I can be nearby doing laundry or my own work, or set up a camera or something so I can keep an eye on them...

2021-2022
          4th grade - 4A

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
            Hello ladies!

I have 3 boys age 10, 9, 5.
            Maybe display the youngest boy's Art Card/Art Poster -- or a crucifix -- in the bedroom to add beauty (and something to ponder) to the minimalism.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              Maybe display the youngest boy's Art Card/Art Poster -- or a crucifix -- in the bedroom to add beauty (and something to ponder) to the minimalism.
              Yes! Good idea! I definitely will add some art/beauty. I mostly want to avoid stuff that can become a cluttered mess or a distraction from school time.

I hadn't thought of putting the art posters in their room - love that idea!

2021-2022
              4th grade - 4A

Comment

Working...
              X