Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Latin and All about Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin and All about Reading

I'm trying to think through next year a little bit. I'm using All about Reading with both my children. A has just started level 3 and C is halfway through level 2. I'm trying to decide when to begin Latin. Should I wait until we finish all 4 levels of AAR? Or begin sooner?

Rainbow Resource has AAR level 2 listed as grade 1-2, level 3 as grade 3, and level 4 as grade 4. By those grade levels, it would seem that I could start anytime after level 2. On the other hand, maybe it would be better for the sake of time to wait until we are finished. But then again, if I buy into Latin being central to the curriculum (which I do), then I would want to start as soon as possible, right?

How much time per day/week would I need to do Latin as scheduled in SC4?
    Susan

2021-2022
    A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
    C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
    G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Re: Latin and All about Reading

Are you still in Barton for either of them, or is it fully AAR? And will you teach your oldest from AAR 3 through the summer? Do you plan to teach only SC 4 Latin, SC 4 minus phonics/reading, or all of SC 4 in addition to AAR?

I never taught from AAR, but as I understand the progression it would seem prudent to wait until after AAR 3 before beginning Prima. Latin will still become central but just not as early in your oldest's life as for younger, early readers.

SC 4 Prima takes only 30-40 min. daily.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Are you still in Barton for either of them, or is it fully AAR? And will you teach your oldest from AAR 3 through the summer? Do you plan to teach only SC 4 Latin, SC 4 minus phonics/reading, or all of SC 4 in addition to AAR?

I never taught from AAR, but as I understand the progression it would seem prudent to wait until after AAR 3 before beginning Prima. Latin will still become central but just not as early in your oldest's life as for younger, early readers.

Having just completed AAR 1-3, I would also agree with waiting until after level 3 is completed. I would equate AAR 1 & 2 to FSR A-D. Level 3 = MP1/MP2. Level 4 is MP2/MP3. Level 3 also introduces more literary terms and comprehension strategies. You'll start to notice that the lessons start focusing more on comprehension. The fluency sheets start to decrease in volume as well!

Our progression was AAR 1-3. Then we did SC3 as written. I bought two of the history readers so we could be like a class! We take turns reading and she can follow along when I read. We did FSR E (again) even though she a) done it after FSR A-D AND completed AAR 3. It was really good to do it this way. The other subjects were more difficult, so starting out a little easier was perfect. I used the DORA to test my daughter after completing AAR 1 & 2. I thought she was doing excellent. The results came back as mid 1st grade reading level! I tested again, 6 months later after doing AAR 3, SC3 phonics as written and reading together the history books. It came back as early 3rd grade! We also finished the SC More story time treasures, Wagon Wheels and Prairie School. I was debating what to do next. The leaps in those 6 months were great, but I am noticing that she has hit a wall again (this seems common with her - great leaps...then stagnant). So, since we did not complete AAR 4, we have pulled that out to finish the year and work through the summer (it has 64 lessons!). I'm actually noticing that maybe we need to go back to AAR3 and revisit the prefix/suffixes, etc.

What are doing for writing this year? SC3 writing with AAR is probably going to be very helpful and just wait on SC4. SC3 really feels grown up and not young!
      Last edited by howiecram; 03-09-2018, 12:29 PM.
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

I'm not using Barton any longer, at least for now. C has a reading evaluation and achievement testing in one month and A will have his achievement testing in 2 months. If the evaluations don't go very well, then I'll switch back to Barton for the long haul. Reading is going great, except C has a terrible guessing habit (she's the one who hasn't had Barton). Spelling is more difficult, they both seem to lose their spelling skills once we move from phrases to sentences. But overall I'm happy with their success. Right now A is reading better than C. I never thought that would happen!

So waiting until after AAR 3 would put us being able to start Latin maybe mid next year. I really haven't figured out my plans. Maybe I'll do SC3 minus spelling. We're just about to start Make Way for Ducklings in STT. I go over the guides with them, but we don't do any of the other phonics work. We haven't been doing the core skills books, classical phonics, or the phonics flash cards. I've been treating STT more as a literature/writing course. We're still going through NAC 1. Writing seems to be the first thing to get shoved when our days get busy. I might try to start our day with a few quick subjects like cursive and copybook.

But SC3 would give them more meat for history and writing and lots of good reading practice with the Story Bible and history stories. I really don't know why I'm trying to figure this out now. I get so caught up in planning the future rather than getting busy with the now.
        Susan

2021-2022

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          Having just completed AAR 1-3, I would also agree with waiting until after level 3 is completed. I would equate AAR 1 & 2 to FSR A-D. Level 3 = MP1/MP2. Level 4 is MP2/MP3. Level 3 also introduces more literary terms and comprehension strategies. You'll start to notice that the lessons start focusing more on comprehension. The fluency sheets start to decrease in volume as well!

Our progression was AAR 1-3. Then we did SC3 as written. I bought two of the history readers so we could be like a class! We take turns reading and she can follow along when I read. We did FSR E (again) even though she a) done it after FSR A-D AND completed AAR 3. It was really good to do it this way. The other subjects were more difficult, so starting out a little easier was perfect. I used the DORA to test my daughter after completing AAR 1 & 2. I thought she was doing excellent. The results came back as mid 1st grade reading level! I tested again, 6 months later after doing AAR 3, SC3 phonics as written and reading together the history books. It came back as early 3rd grade! We also finished the SC More story time treasures, Wagon Wheels and Prairie School. I was debating what to do next. The leaps in those 6 months were great, but I am noticing that she has hit a wall again (this seems common with her - great leaps...then stagnant). So, since we did not complete AAR 4, we have pulled that out to finish the year and work through the summer (it has 64 lessons!). I'm actually noticing that maybe we need to go back to AAR3 and revisit the prefix/suffixes, etc.

What are doing for writing this year? SC3 writing with AAR is probably going to be very helpful and just wait on SC4. SC3 really feels grown up and not young!
          This is helpful Christine, thank you. We really aren't doing anything other than copybook, cursive, and STT for writing. It sounds like SC3 will be the way to go. We'll school through the summer, but there will be lots of weeks off, so I expect AAR 3 could take us quite a while - I think we average 2-3 lessons a week, so it could be next winter before we finish level 3.
          Susan

2021-2022

Comment

Working...
          X