Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Need help with lang arts for high school student!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with lang arts for high school student!!!

Hi!

I have an 11th grader with autism and a specific language impairment. He's functioning at about a 5th grade level (reading/comprehension) & at grade level for math. I would like to put together a lang arts program for him that will strengthen his reading/comprehension/composition skills without overwhelming him. He's currently only comfortable writing 1 paragraph at a time (very basic) & needs help pulling main ideas/important details. I read aloud to him and/or pair books with audiobooks. What I have now is ok but feels hodge podge/all over the place; would really prefer to have lang arts more streamlined. What MP resources should I purchase? TIA!

Re: Need help with lang arts for high school student!!!

Originally posted by Nurgeo View Post
    Hi!

I have an 11th grader with autism and a specific language impairment. He's functioning at about a 5th grade level (reading/comprehension) & at grade level for math. I would like to put together a lang arts program for him that will strengthen his reading/comprehension/composition skills without overwhelming him. He's currently only comfortable writing 1 paragraph at a time (very basic) & needs help pulling main ideas/important details. I read aloud to him and/or pair books with audiobooks. What I have now is ok but feels hodge podge/all over the place; would really prefer to have lang arts more streamlined. What MP resources should I purchase? TIA!
    What are you using right now?
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

I'm using rod and staff (writing and some grammar as needed), a phonics handbook, fix it grammar (application), ACE word building, random US history related books for reading. I would really like to find something that will tie some of these together so that everything doesn't feel so disjointed; it takes forever too & my son loses steam rather quickly.

Comment

Have you seen SC Writing Two with the SC 3 American Studies set? We work on main ideas, details, comprehension, illustration, and composition with a chronological study through American history themes and biographies. (ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com, Level 3. This is advanced for Level 3, so it might work well for your son.)
        Last edited by cherylswope; 02-10-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X