Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

5 year old & math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 year old & math

Good morning!

My 5 year old who will turn 6 in June is working his way through SC level C. The curriculum has been spot on for him. I knew math was his stronger subject and didn’t think the numbers book was challenging him. Until today I didn’t realize how strong he was in math. After drilling his sister on her math flashcards, he asked for a turn. He did 35 of the 0-9 flashcards in under 2 minutes and only missed one (9+5).

Do I keep going in numbers part 2? What should I do next year?

Thanks!
    Heidi
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Re: 5 year old & math

Hi, Heidi!

You could continue in Numbers 2, because his strengths may lie in rote memory rather than full comprehension of concepts. Numbers 2 will also give him the additional fine-motor practice he may need.

Another option if you do not mind the juggling: You could start SC 1 R&S Arithmetic 1, part 1, now with the SC lesson plans. You could add Numbers 2 (since you already own it) for extra practice. If you jump to R&S 1, take it at the SC pace and resist the temptation to move too quickly. R&S 1 seems easy but solidifies needed facts, concepts, and skills. Teach from the visual aids as described in SC 1 Arithmetic for concept development.

Comment

I think you're seeing the beauty of a one room school house. The younger children are exposed to high-level concepts before they're expected to master it themselves.

I would continue on with Book 2 and move to R&S 1 next year with the plans. The rest of the SC-C curriculum is spot on for him, you say, that's the indicator to stay at this pace.
      Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
      DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
      DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I was thinking about staying with Book 2 and sticking with the plans. I don’t want any gaps and want to find that sweet spot of teaching at his instructional leve, not his independent or frustrational level.

I also love the ease of having lesson plans in one book and quickly gathering what we need for that day. I recognize this as my own laziness and don’t want that to be the deciding factor.

I know this is a good problem and am appreciating it for a change. Is there any concern of just continuing with Book 2 and starting Rod and Staff next year?
        Heidi

2018-19
        dd- 3m
        ds- SC 1
        dd- SC B

Comment

No concern at all! By SC 1 his fine-motor skills will be stronger anyway.

It is always easier to enrich (math puzzles, games, counting books) than to remediate. And, as you said, everything will coordinate for him next year in the lesson plans.

You can stay the course and simply enjoy his aptitude in this area!

Comment

I can never help myself from jumping in on a math thread!
            I just wanted to suggest that you keep doing what you are doing since it is working so well for him - stick with the plan and don't intentionally add anything. If you want to add at this age, I'd suggest books like the Anno books by Mitsumasa Anno. They are deceptively simple counting picture books that develop big discrete math ideas. Or the Sir Cumference picture book series is also a good one for introducing big math ideas in a fun way. He'd enjoy the stories and pictures about a knight and gradually pick up math concepts too.

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
              I can never help myself from jumping in on a math thread!
              I just wanted to suggest that you keep doing what you are doing since it is working so well for him - stick with the plan and don't intentionally add anything. If you want to add at this age, I'd suggest books like the Anno books by Mitsumasa Anno. They are deceptively simple counting picture books that develop big discrete math ideas. Or the Sir Cumference picture book series is also a good one for introducing big math ideas in a fun way. He'd enjoy the stories and pictures about a knight and gradually pick up math concepts too.
              Klwaslukas,

Thank you for the book suggestions and to stay the course. It can be hard to know when to push and when to keep on the journey. I’m an impatient person so I appreciate everyone’s encouragement to stay the course. I’ve put some of them on hold at the library in the meantime. We love good books!

Heidi
              Heidi

2018-19
              dd- 3m
              ds- SC 1
              dd- SC B

Comment

Working...
              X