Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

should I put my 6 year old in SC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I put my 6 year old in SC?

This is a bit of a cross post with my placement question thread in the K-8 board.

I have 6.5 year old twins. One them reverses letters, even in her own name/signature, seems to be struggling with phonological awareness (although spells some words by rote) and math can be a bit of a struggle. She does very well with the memory work in CC and AWANA. Piano lessons are going slower than her twin but she's catching on. If she was not a twin and/or my oldest was not on the Simply Classical route, I'd put her in MP-K and call it good.

However, her twin most likely needs MP1 and possibly even partway through MP-1. I also own all of the Simply Classical curriculum guides because of my oldest. Simplicity aside, would it be best to place my daughter in the Simply Classical or put her in the regular MP cores? My view of what is and is not special needs is a bit out of sync because of my oldest daughter's issues.

The main issues are getting her reading and doing math and improving her handwriting. She seems to do well in all other subjects, especially if I read things to her.
    togg_mama // Deut 6:5-6

April 2018: finishing our sixth year of homeschooling, starting first year using MP cores
    DD: SC C // DS MP 4NU // DD MP 1 // DD MP K

Re: should I put my 6 year old in SC?

She seems to have a strong memory, so that will serve her well. It might be wise to give her the extra support of SC right now. SC B and SC C focus on phonological awareness prior to attempting to learn to read. She sounds ready for SC C.

If (or when) she is already reading CVC words -- or very ready to do so, it sounds as if she would benefit from SC 1.

For the sake of simplicity, whether you teach from SC C or SC 1, you can combine the twins for MP recitations and MP Enrichment. But keep the one twin in SC core reading, spelling, penmanship, and arithmetic.

Comment

Working...
    X