Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Emotional support for a struggling learner with a precocious younger sibling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emotional support for a struggling learner with a precocious younger sibling

Originally posted by Winter Cast View Post

What are the advantages of testing for learning disabilities while homeschooling? I've always assumed a diagnoses mainly helped with classroom support. Since we are homeschooling I thought that a diagnoses wouldn't provider much help.
    I'm two weeks away from a formal evaluation for one of my twin sons. This has been two years in the making, as I tried alternatives to testing. (screening at the local dyslexia school, hearing exams, OT, etc.)

For me, the formal evaluation will serve a number of purposes:
    1) Getting an official diagnosis for ME -- instead of assuming what's going on. Based on symptoms, screening, and response to interventions, there's no doubt in my mind that he's dyslexic. But, I want to know the severity, and if there are any comorbidities, etc. I don't expect an ADHD diagnosis, but likely dysgraphia, and the psychologist has already mentioned twice-exceptionality. (which doesn't surprise me) Once testing, scoring, and post-discussion are complete, I'll walk away armed to be a better advocate for him at home, as well as away. I'll have a better handle on his strengths and weakness, and know what is asking too much of him, and what work he's capable of.
    2) Getting a diagnosis for HIM -- he already knows something is going on. He's a bright boy, but struggles with word retrieval, handwriting, etc. Last week, he asked me what special needs meant. I'm not sure where he heard the term, but I sat down and explained it to him. He knows he's going for testing, and quite frankly, this will be a relief for him. He tends to beat himself up a lot, and having an answer to why he reads much slower than his sister, etc.
    3) Planning for the future -- I know that he will need accomodations in certain classroom settings, and definitely in testing situations. As I understand it, for ACT/SAT accommodations, you have to have a paper trail in place.
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

Re: Emotional support for a struggling learner with a precocious younger sibling

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

At a giant homeschool convention one year, I co-led a talk entitled "What Good Are Labels: Understanding Your Child's Learning Problems." I can bring to Sodalitas the CDs of that talk for anyone who would like to have it.
      Cheryl,

Was this a talk you did with Kathy Kuhl? I remember hearing this and it was excellent!
      DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
      DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
      DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
      DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
      http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        Cheryl,

Was this a talk you did with Kathy Kuhl? I remember hearing this and it was excellent!
        Yes, thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X